Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 24 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS (Read 9212 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 24 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS

Reply #15
We have basically locked up a home final.

The only we we cannot get a home final is if.....
1. We lose to GWS
and
2. St. Kilda beat Geelong
and
3. Sydney beat Melbourne
and
4. The margin Sydney win by combined with the margin we lose by >70 points or so. eg. if we lose by 30 and Swans win by 40 (70 point total) then their % takes them above us.

If any one of them doesn't happen, we have a home final.

UNLESS....
1. Swans beat Dees
2. Hawks beat Dees
3. We beat GWS

Then we will finish 4th and NOT get a home final (1st week at least) but we will get a double chance and a home final in our next match, win or lose.

Reply #16
Docherty was already in. If Walsh is good to go, he must have a run. It's the perfect scenario for him. Have a serious hit out and then have 2 weeks to overcome the 'back after a long break' soreness.
Docherty was injured himself, but just came back. I also named him, as a replacement winger for Hollands. It seems I'm running out of names now. If Walsh is fit and ready enough, it seems he'll be in.

Reply #17
Weitering, Newman, Kemp, Saad, Marchbank, Fisher, Cincotta as our back seven against GC. How does McGovern get back in? Who does he come in for, outside of injury?

Reply #18
Weitering, Newman, Kemp, Saad, Marchbank, Fisher, Cincotta as our back seven against GC. How does McGovern get back in? Who does he come in for, outside of injury?
Marchbank out, he is too slow and disposal/decision making is terrible.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #19
Marchbank out, he is too slow and disposal/decision making is terrible.

Yep, Marchbank at his best would probably hold his spot but he's still a little bit off that pace, and McGovern must come back in.

Reply #20
Sydney v Melbourne
Lions v Saints

Even if we lose it's hard to see how we are not going to get a home elimination final.

Reply #21
I don't envy the match committee for next round
There are going to be many let down lads.
I wouldn't even know where to begin who to drop

Reply #22
I don't envy the match committee for next round
There are going to be many let down lads.
I wouldn't even know where to begin who to drop
Cincotta, Fisher, Cunninham and unfortunately Ed.

They can't afford to have the first game back for a bunch of blokes to be a final, most players need at least 1/2 of footy to get up to pace after an extended break.

You might get away with one maybe two returns in a final, but not three or four.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
Out:
Cincotta - move Doc to the backline
Cunners - doing well but just short of just enough - 2 tackles and no score involvements yesterday. 50/50 on attitude than form. Risky picking him. Unfortunately.
Hollands - is a young star but I think we need players that are proven from here. winning 50/50 contests is going to be crucial and just too young for now.

In: Cerra, Walsh, Fogarty

Reply #24
Out:
Cincotta - move Doc to the backline
Cunners - doing well but just short of just enough - 2 tackles and no score involvements yesterday. 50/50 on attitude than form. Risky picking him. Unfortunately.
Hollands - is a young star but I think we need players that are proven from here. winning 50/50 contests is going to be crucial and just too young for now.
In: Cerra, Walsh, Fogarty
I'll  2nd that pinot although as G2C suggests I'd sacrifice Marchbank rather than Cincotta
What a dilemma we're having? Last year we couldn't get anyone in.

Reply #25
B: Newman  Weitering  Kemp
HB: Docherty  Marchbank  Saad
C: Acres    Cripps    Walsh
HF: Martin    McKay   Fogarty
F: Owies    Curnow  Motlop
R: Pittonet   Hewett  Cerra
In: Fisher, Dow, Cottrell, TDK
E: McGovern, Kennedy, Silvagni

Reply #26
I'll  2nd that pinot although as G2C suggests I'd sacrifice Marchbank rather than Cincotta
What a dilemma we're having? Last year we couldn't get anyone in.

Selection is going to be a nightmare for them.

Reply #27
Marchbank still looks rusty. Didn't watch the VFL but apparently Young was very good. But hard to see how we could squeeze Young and McGovern back into the same team at the moment.

If Cerra and Walsh are fit, gotta play them.....they'll get the following week off anyway.

Reply #28
I've also heard that Kennedy is closer than is being publicly reported.

A good thing coming out of the various outs, is that Hewett who was rusty is back in peak form.

Makes me wonder if we should give Charlie a week off and let Harry go solo, but I suppose the Coleman remains in play so it might be unfair to Charlie!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
Fogarty for Cuningham is a possibility. Cuningham hasn't been at his best yet. Like-for-like is the way we generally go at the selection table, especially with this new-found depth we have. Martin, Motlop and Owies had a combined 12 tackles and 6 goals 6 as a trio. That was pleasing to see. They're not going anywhere bar injury.
McGovern didn't look like he was ready to come in yesterday, according to reports. Will he be alright on Sunday?