Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 24 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS (Read 3019 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 24 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS

Reply #45
I think the purpose of the game was to ensure Charlie won the Coleman and to get game time into Cerra, McKay, Walsh, McGovern, Durdin and to rest Cripps, Docherty and Pittonett. It would have been good to win but GWS wanted and needed to win more. I thought Cerra, Walsh and Durdin got better as  the match wore on and losing Acres in the third didn't help. I thought Marchbank was good when he came on but our team balance got out of wack.
We got smashed in the centre clearances though Dow was probably our best. Overall we were off. We gave two goals from 50's and Fisher cost us a goal coming out of the back. Owies and Durdin both missed from 15 metres and I still don't know how Hollands goal was overturned.
Since Collingwood whinged about Charlie getting free kicks our key forwards haven't been getting much protection from the umpires.
Hopefully we can tighten up over the next couple of weeks.

Reply #46
I think the purpose of the game was to ensure Charlie won the Coleman and to get game time into Cerra, McKay, Walsh, McGovern, Durdin and to rest Cripps, Docherty and Pittonett. It would have been good to win but GWS wanted and needed to win more. I thought Cerra, Walsh and Durdin got better as  the match wore on and losing Acres in the third didn't help. I thought
Gov was terrible yesterday, appart from being short of a gallop, his disposal was all over the shop. A mate of mine and I both thought he spent to much time worrying about his man as opposed to the see-ball-get-ball intercept game.
Durdin is a worry, I have been a big rap for him, yes he has been out for a while, yes he is young but Motlop has gone passed him giving him windburn along the way. I thought he was a witches hat for all 4 qtrs last night as opposed to the others who only that for a half. He will be straight out next game and I doubt we will see him in again this year no matter how far we go.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #47
Despite the negatives re performance, scores were level half-way through the third, and we were barely setting the world on fire.  Then Acres gets subbed out with a shoulder injury.

Can't help guessing that every player started think about self-preservation from that point on - it certainly looked like it.  Turned into a basketball game from that point on.   No hammys or concussions needed for a worthless prize.

2 weeks from now is a different season.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #48
Thank goodness.. Weiters gets a fine 🙂
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #49

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/08/30/i-stitched-him-up-toby-greene-apologises-to-jacob-weitering-for-post-game/

Greene can be a bit of a dick ( a lot of the time), but he's a seriously good footballer.
He plays with a bit of emotion, and it probably sees him cross a line every now and then.
I believe he thinks he's probably a bit "hard done by" with some of the criticism that comes his way.

With that in mind...
I thought at the time his comments weren't so much about Weitering, but more about what he perceived was an injustice to himself...."I got done for that, he should too!"

Anyway, He's made an apology, he got it wrong.

Reply #50
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/08/30/i-stitched-him-up-toby-greene-apologises-to-jacob-weitering-for-post-game/

Greene can be a bit of a dick ( a lot of the time), but he's a seriously good footballer.
He plays with a bit of emotion, and it probably sees him cross a line every now and then.
I believe he thinks he's probably a bit "hard done by" with some of the criticism that comes his way.

With that in mind...
I thought at the time his comments weren't so much about Weitering, but more about what he perceived was an injustice to himself...."I got done for that, he should too!"

Anyway, He's made an apology, he got it wrong.

Belted McGovern with a swinging fist to the guts during the game and is a sniper, yep great player but a jerk
who needs an uppercut and being captain of the AA team given his form line of transgressions over the journey including deliberate contact with an umpire is laughable much like a few of the selections in the AA team though ,with an idiot like Kane Cornes on the selection panel no real surprise....How Weitering and Taylor lost out to Wilkie I dont know and the backline consists of rebound defenders only...

Reply #51
Agree.  Greene is a very good player but is a nasty little jerk by nature. Has plenty of form.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #52
Agree.  Greene is a very good player but is a nasty little jerk by nature. Has plenty of form.
Wish he played for us, match winner.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #53
Wish he played for us, match winner.

That, my friend,  is a completely different argument. 🙂

Reply #54
Great player, plays footy in the wrong era, put him back in the 70s or 80s and he'd be the new Ted Whitten.

Lockett like ...............! ::)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55
Pocket Lockett?