Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Elimination Final 1 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney  (Read 9894 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Elimination Final 1 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #30
I think the form of Owies dictates we look to hit him up on the lead if he is available and likewise Martin is another target if he is one out with an opponent who he can outmark. Harry will get less opportunities but can still be useful in dragging players away from Charlie and being productive up the ground. I wasnt disappointed in his work when played as the second ruck vs GWS mainly for his ability to get involved in general play rather than his ruckwork which was about as good as the opposing novice second ruck in Keefe in which they both cancelled each other out.
Saying all that the Swans are very undersized down back and Id expect Harry to spend his time down forward this week and his big height advantage should have him prominent and in the goals given he should get less attention than Charlie who will probably be double teamed.

Tactic vs Swans?
Leave Harry in the goal square. Get Charlie up the ground. Bomb it on Harrys head and ensure you have Owies/Motlop/Martin etc at his feet. Chances are Harry will take more marks than he drops, but i doubt he'll be outmarked.

Reply #31
$3000 fine for Weiters, cleared to play
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #32
Tactic vs Swans?
Leave Harry in the goal square. Get Charlie up the ground. Bomb it on Harrys head and ensure you have Owies/Motlop/Martin etc at his feet. Chances are Harry will take more marks than he drops, but i doubt he'll be outmarked.
Dont mind Harry playing from the square as long as Charlie is a way up the ground and both are not flying together.
Harry needs to hold his marks at the MCG given its a bigger ground and defenders from both teams will have more space to work in rebounding the ball and given the Swans lack height they will be looking to punish every dropped mark or intercept they create and run off players like Harry trying to get an advantage...see Nick Blakey.

Reply #33
If we bomb it in F50 we'll be flogged....delivery into F50 has been the second most important factor in turning the year around.  The bomb to Harry is an option, but the little blokes must be ready for those crumbs.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #34
Our selections over the coming (hopefully) weeks is going to be interesting. Cincotta, Fogerty, Dow, Fisher, Durdin may not be in our best 22, but if required, have a major advantage over Kennedy, Boyd, even Cowan and Binns......recent, genuine match practice. I just can't see how you could consider Kennedy or Boyd in a final without a decent hit out under their belt. That deplorable effort by the Twos has killed off a number of players' chances of breaking back into the side.

Reply #36
Our selections over the coming (hopefully) weeks is going to be interesting. Cincotta, Fogerty, Dow, Fisher, Durdin may not be in our best 22, but if required, have a major advantage over Kennedy, Boyd, even Cowan and Binns......recent, genuine match practice. I just can't see how you could consider Kennedy or Boyd in a final without a decent hit out under their belt. That deplorable effort by the Twos has killed off a number of players' chances of breaking back into the side.
Cincotta and Fogs play with Dow sub.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #37
Dow is too good to be sub now - the penny has dropped for him and playing good football

Reply #38
Dow is too good to be sub now - the penny has dropped for him and playing good football
And I think he will only get better.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #39
My guess for our best side week 1 vs Syd
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #40

It is a pity we do not have an alignment with other clubs / leagues where we can put players so they can keep playing for match fitness.

Reply #41
The number one player, for them, we have to shut out of the game is Gulden. I know it unfashionable nowadays but I would have Cottrell put the hardest tag in AFL history on him and completely obliterate his influence. He worries more than anyone else on that team.

Reply #42
The number one player, for them, we have to shut out of the game is Gulden. I know it unfashionable nowadays but I would have Cottrell put the hardest tag in AFL history on him and completely obliterate his influence. He worries more than anyone else on that team.

He must have had his name on the football against Melbourne. I am sure he was treated for leather poisoning.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #43
Dont mind Harry playing from the square as long as Charlie is a way up the ground and both are not flying together.
They'll go back to alternating through the square in the finals, they didn't bother last weekend.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #44
There seems to be a bit of a divide around our performance on the weekend. Some are of the opinion we should have gone hard, with the same intensity we’ve been playing at, and done our best to win the game. Others feel that was the game we needed to just rest a few players regroup, get some games into returning players and try and make it through as injury free as possible.

I’m in the second camp. I think the intensity we’ve been playing with was the reason we needed a game like Sunday night…but there are dangers, and it’s not guaranteed we’ll bounce back against the Swans.

The mental side of football is as critical as the physical side and at this time of the year it has an increased importance. We had a hard physical game against Melbourne. The toll of that carried over to the first half of the Gold Coast game and it took a big effort to come back and win. Our 50 point wins were suddenly 4 point wins. That was a bit of a clue that the pressure and intensity we’d been playing at was taking both a physical and mental toll. With that in mind the approach to the GWS game, with our position secure, was probably the best option.

The danger of course is going away from the entrenched way we’ve been playing. Will the less stressful week have been enough to freshen everyone up. The other issue is, for the majority of our team it will be their first finals experience. It will be another level. I think our game style stacks up but until we see it under the pressure that will come in two weeks, it’s an unknown.

Nick Newman, Adam Saad, Mitch McGovern, George Hewett, Lewis Young, Blake Acres all have played finals. I may have missed someone, but of those only Young is unlikely to play. So, we’re not without finals experience. The team we’re up against will have a little bit more. The team that played Melbourne have just about all played in multiple finals, including Grand Finals. Amartey is about the only player we’ll face without finals experience.

For some of our very best it will be their first finals game and it will be interesting to see how they go under a pressure they’ve not likely encountered before. You look at players like Cripps, Weitering and Curnow and think…these guys are made for these types of games, but we’ll see.