Skip to main content
Topic: AFL 2023 Semi Final Carlton vs Melbourne at the MCG (Read 8281 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL 2023 Semi Final Carlton vs Melbourne at the MCG

Reply #15
Blakely gets involved in these incidents a bit, must be a bit lippy or something.  Martin isn't a puncher so is there more to this than meets the eye?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #16
Swinging arm with fist to jaw...Luke Hodge saw same, careless but I can't see him evading a suspension. Looked really bad on one angle...Blakey was holding his jaw too...
Was it as bad as Parkers elbow to Newman's jaw in the 3rd? He came off holding his jaw as well, but I've heard nothing about it.

Reply #17
Swinging arm with fist to jaw...Luke Hodge saw same, careless but I can't see him evading a suspension. Looked really bad on one angle...Blakey was holding his jaw too...

He needs to argue it as a tackle that went wrong given first point of contact was just on the point or just below the shoulder. During finals you're always a chance if there is doubt whereas it would be a week in the regular season. Worse has been let off in finals. Let's hope!

Reply #18
Both sides have things to work on. Melbourne was plain wretched at times while we just played the one good qtr, the 2nd, even if we did lead at qtr time.

Reply #19
He needs to argue it as a tackle that went wrong given first point of contact was just on the point or just below the shoulder. During finals you're always a chance if there is doubt whereas it would be a week in the regular season. Worse has been let off in finals. Let's hope!
He could argue it was a careless spoiling attempt that went wrong, Blakey did continue on the ground which is another positive however I can still see a weeks holiday given the look of the incident. Luke Hodge who didnt mind a bit of that stuff himself at times said Martin will have a case to answer and Hodge usually tends to side with the players in trouble.

Reply #20
Was it as bad as Parkers elbow to Newman's jaw in the 3rd? He came off holding his jaw as well, but I've heard nothing about it.

His elbow was in when Newmans head hit it. It raised after the contact in an instinctual fashion when you bump.
Was unlucky, but not reportable Newman initiated contact.

Martin had a swinging arm, with a clenched fist that connected with his jaw. He went off the ground, holding his jaw, and was off for 10 minutes.

The optics of that means a week at best.

Reply #21
Melbourne are tough, big bodied and battle hardened. If possible, I'd avoid skinny types against them in a final, like Hollands. And I'm a big Hollands fan.

Reply #22
Martin out 2 weeks.

Reply #24
Martin out 2 weeks.
2 weeks???????
Blakey kept playing and was one of their best.
Is this Netball or AFL
What about Parkers elbow to Newman's jaw???
It should just be a fine!!!!!!!!!!
It is a contact sport after all.
Hodge use to get off for heaps worse, but that was because he's a nice guy.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #25
Tunnelling should be an instant suspension based on this.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #26
If Martin was struck in the jaw by Blakeys swinging fist off the ball I would want him suspended, Martin isnt a dirty player but he made a careless move striking Blakey and you have to expect to do time for that type of strike.

Reply #27
If Martin was struck in the jaw by Blakeys swinging fist off the ball I would want him suspended, Martin isnt a dirty player but he made a careless move striking Blakey and you have to expect to do time for that type of strike.
Yep. Hate to say it but Jack was not exactly subtle. Far too obvious and had to go. Maybe he'll get it down to 1 week?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #29
2?...and Van Rooyen gets a week....sorry I'm confused. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?