Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 546651 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #630
Well...day one of the Test summer......certainly went pear shaped for the Saffers.  Starc didn't bowl that I thought & still got 4....looks like he's inherited Johnsons happy knack !

Pretty poor batting from SAF, on a pitch that really should have been a belter to bad on again.  A little bounce, but no sideways movement to speak of.  As an ex fast bowlers I love watching great quick ply their trade no matter where they're from (even sometimes if it's against us !).....and on that score I was pretty disappointed in Steyns performance.  A bloke with that much experience & talent falling into the trap of bowling too short at the WACA is unforgivable....and he payed the price.  One thing about Steyn though, he quite often looks ordinary & disinterested in one spell......and can then rip the heart out a lineup a session later.  This mornings first hour will be huge.  The game is almost already gone for SAF...unless they can pull off a miracle, or bat for a couple of days to force a draw...which is very possible in Perth.

cheers

Mal.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #631
Still four days to go and the side needs another quality RH bat. Neither Marsh convincing, Siddle role player at best until injured strike bowlers get fit.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #632
Still four days to go and the side needs another quality RH bat. Neither Marsh convincing, Siddle role player at best until injured strike bowlers get fit.

Harsh on the Marsh lads.....

The SA batters are just as questionable, Amla aside.....distinct lack of quality imo. Noting the missing gun!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #633
We took the foot off the throat of SA in the middle sessions yesterday, that is going to bite us on the ar5e today, we may be behind on the 1st innings, our lot looking very shaky.

Pretty much over the reign of Smith, great cricketer, seems like a nice bloke, but a super crap test captain! He only has one trick, he has to make a lot of runs himself with his dodgy batting technique or he offers nothing!

Selectors have lost the plot, not only are the Marsh's keeping others out of test spots they shouldn't even be getting a Shield run IMHO! They are the Andrejs Everitt's of test Cricket!

This teams needs a new Mark "Tubby" Taylor type leader, a bloke who leads with class regardless of his own form.

The selection needs to be far more brutal, bring back Border!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #634
You were saying Fly?  Time to play a BATSMAN at six, not some faux all rounder.

Reply #636
Shaping up as a good test match... isn't that what we want?

Reply #637
screw I hate Australian batsmen; 

Getting out LBW suggests significant technical issues.

Find ways to get out to c-grade spinners.

Find ways to get out in the last over before breaks.

Can't use the review system with any sense of intelligence.

Our bowlers break down so often because they carry these worthless muppets.

Reply #638
Simply pathetic effort once again by the muppets with bats.

Neville is a tidy keeper but he needs to make runs when it counts.  Wade is not the tidiest keeper but has made test and shield runs under pressure.  We can't continue with a middle order of Voges- M. Marsh-Neville... its as reliable as a Styrofoam spaceship.

Too often this side is 5 out all out.

Reply #639
Simply pathetic effort once again by the muppets with bats.

Neville is a tidy keeper but he needs to make runs when it counts.  Wade is not the tidiest keeper but has made test and shield runs under pressure.  We can't continue with a middle order of Voges- M. Marsh-Neville... its as reliable as a Styrofoam spaceship.

Too often this side is 5 out all out.
Yes. Our batsmen are really letting the side down.
Voges has fallen very swiftly: only a year ago he had an average of about 100. It must be almost halved by now. That is a pity, but has had a bad trot.
Mitch Marsh shouldn't be there. he is an OK bowler, but his batting is not up to test cricket standards. And telling him to make a hundred (when he hasn't made one yet) or get dropped is only going to make him fail. He should not be in the top 6: he doesn't have the runs (literally) on the board.
Nevill hasn't gone on with his batting: it has gone backwards with the lack of support from the other middle order players. He is an excellent keeper, but you need to be more now.
Steve Smith: I know he was given out very dubiously, but his idea of a Captain's Innings at the moment appears to be running down the pitch and then changing his mind. He is not batting smartly.
Khuwaja I don't think is quite up to it. I hope he proves me wrong, but I doubt it.

As for our bowlers, injuries have really made a difference. Starc has done pretty well and so have a couple of others, but we appear to lack venom. Siddle is a great warrior, but he is not quick enough now to be really dangerous.
As for spin, Lyon is OK, but he isn't a match winner. He is probably the best off-spinner going around at the moment, and he has got more wickets than any of the previous offies, but he is just not in the class of some of the other spinners going around.
Nor are we likely to produce many class spinners: most Australian wickets don't wear enough to encourage spinners. Even great spinners struggle here because the drop-in wickets don't wear.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #640
What makes it worse is that the Saffies are a very average unit IMO....Steyn got injured and we got fired out by no name bowlers and Philander who bowls at 130k...Mitch Marsh played outside a straight one thats how well he is going....
Need to rebuild the middle order and also replace Siddle...Pattinson is who we need but he cant stay on the park so we need another quick who can...

Reply #641
It's not a summer of cricket without a middle order collapse.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #642
It's not a summer of cricket without a middle order collapse.

:))

It's not an Aussie test match without a middle order collapse  :)

Actually, it wasn't a middle order collapse, it was a full-blown collapse; 10 for 86  :o
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #643
What makes it worse is that the Saffies are a very average unit IMO....Steyn got injured and we got fired out by no name bowlers and Philander who bowls at 130k...Mitch Marsh played outside a straight one thats how well he is going....
Need to rebuild the middle order and also replace Siddle...Pattinson is who we need but he cant stay on the park so we need another quick who can...

Our three third quicks are all injured or returning from injury. Cummins, Pattinson and Coulter-Nile. Either would make a huge difference. Hendriques or Stoinis to replace Marsh. Bowls well but can't afford a number 6 to keep making SFA. Happy to keep with Khawaja as he just had a bad innings but might need to replace Voges given he seem to have done a hamstring.

I saw the first day as I have been in Perth, just got home now. Australia was as dominate as one side could be. Bowlers were outstanding getting them out for 242, then 0/105, Warner was brilliant and S.Marsh was a gutsy as any opener could be. Survived real difficulties and made 63. Could not have imagined we'd be in this position after day 1.

Reply #644
Yes. Our batsmen are really letting the side down.
Voges has fallen very swiftly: only a year ago he had an average of about 100. It must be almost halved by now. That is a pity, but has had a bad trot.
Mitch Marsh shouldn't be there. he is an OK bowler, but his batting is not up to test cricket standards. And telling him to make a hundred (when he hasn't made one yet) or get dropped is only going to make him fail. He should not be in the top 6: he doesn't have the runs (literally) on the board.
Nevill hasn't gone on with his batting: it has gone backwards with the lack of support from the other middle order players. He is an excellent keeper, but you need to be more now.
Steve Smith: I know he was given out very dubiously, but his idea of a Captain's Innings at the moment appears to be running down the pitch and then changing his mind. He is not batting smartly.
Khuwaja I don't think is quite up to it. I hope he proves me wrong, but I doubt it.

As for our bowlers, injuries have really made a difference. Starc has done pretty well and so have a couple of others, but we appear to lack venom. Siddle is a great warrior, but he is not quick enough now to be really dangerous.
As for spin, Lyon is OK, but he isn't a match winner. He is probably the best off-spinner going around at the moment, and he has got more wickets than any of the previous offies, but he is just not in the class of some of the other spinners going around.
Nor are we likely to produce many class spinners: most Australian wickets don't wear enough to encourage spinners. Even great spinners struggle here because the drop-in wickets don't wear.

i'll ignore sub continent form and no-one outside of sub-continent coutries go any good there. So  Iwon't judge Khawaja or Voges yet after one innings this summer as there other form stood right up before. M.Marsh is the one that is hurt the batting as we have not steadiness right in that middle if we lose a couple.