Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 546516 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #645
Our three third quicks are all injured or returning from injury. Cummins, Pattinson and Coulter-Nile. Either would make a huge difference. Hendriques or Stoinis to replace Marsh. Bowls well but can't afford a number 6 to keep making SFA. Happy to keep with Khawaja as he just had a bad innings but might need to replace Voges given he seem to have done a hamstring.

I saw the first day as I have been in Perth, just got home now. Australia was as dominate as one side could be. Bowlers were outstanding getting them out for 242, then 0/105, Warner was brilliant and S.Marsh was a gutsy as any opener could be. Survived real difficulties and made 63. Could not have imagined we'd be in this position after day 1.
I'm done with Pattinson Jim, I reckon he's a bust, injuries cruelled him :(

Reply #646
The Saffies batted right through the day and, presumably, that would have been their objective in the morning.  Even with Steyn gone, they would have to be clear favourites now  :(
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #647
Bowled their guts out with zero luck, although Starc still bowls too much crap.  Lyon should have bowled more.

Big no to Henriques, bowling not good enough, saffies with slay him.

I'd be looking at Maxwell in the mid order (plus a few overs) and Chad Sayers as a different bowling option, especially in an Adelaide test.

I've always liked Maddinson but one go hard LH opener is probably enough.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #648
Bowled their guts out with zero luck, although Starc still bowls too much crap.  Lyon should have bowled more.

I'd be looking at Maxwell in the mid order (plus a few overs) and Chad Sayers as a different bowling option, especially in an Adelaide test.

Need to get De Kock out early or we will be chasing 450, can see him dining out on our tired attack...agree on Maxwell, got some X factor, fields well and can break partnerships.

Reply #649

Hendriques would be in to bat no.6 an bowl 10 overs or so. Other option is Stoinis, who could fill no.6 and well pretty well.

Reply #650
Listening to Ian Chappell hand out advice about swing bowling today.

Make sure your kids or grand children ignore everything he says, he has it exactly wrong and completely back to front as coached by great exponents of swing like Lillee, Hadley, Dev, Khan, Massie, Trueman, Botham, Fleming, Alderman and Dodemaide.

If you are a swing bowler you always get as close to the stumps as possible and release the ball down the line of the stumps! That  will  maximise any available movements yet leaves the ball pitching in line if there is no swing!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #651
Hendriques would be in to bat no.6 an bowl 10 overs or so. Other option is Stoinis, who could fill no.6 and well pretty well.

you're all forgetting the best option - James Faulkner come on down.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #652
Can't believe the crap I am watching. I sat under the Prindiville Stand and was the Aussies really smack them senseless on the first day. What the hell has happened to be in this position.

Reply #653
Can't believe the crap I am watching. I sat under the Prindiville Stand and was the Aussies really smack them senseless on the first day. What the hell has happened to be in this position.

Smith is not a test captain, he has absolutely no idea about how to use a field to apply pressure to a batsmen. It's like he is setting ever field to play for a draw!

Further, as much as I like Starc when he is on, he is a front runner which in my view makes him a a great support bowler but not a leader of an attack. Good bowlers are good bowlers in all conditions, only Lyon and Siddle come close to being test standard. We are sadly lacking with the likes of Pattinson and Cummins out injured, we have a team full of support bowlers operating to scores built by erratic batsmen.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #654
Smith is not a test captain, he has absolutely no idea about how to use a field to apply pressure to a batsmen. It's like he is setting ever field to play for a draw!d up

Further, as much as I like Starc when he is on, he is a front runner which in my view makes him a a great support bowler but not a leader of an attack. Good bowlers are good bowlers in all conditions, only Lyon and Siddle come close to being test standard. We are sadly lacking with the likes of Pattinson and Cummins out injured, we have a team full of support bowlers operating to scores built by erratic batsmen.

Smith was installed simply to continue the NSW dynasty.....that said, who else has really stood up? And i was not a fan of Clarke!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #655
Smith was installed simply to continue the NSW dynasty.....that said, who else has really stood up? And i was not a fan of Clarke!

When we start selecting players on form we will be able to carry a bloke who is a great captain but not necessarily a great cricketer. Bailey is a prime example, his captaincy is probably worth a century relative to Smith's.

But longer term there is a real problem, as our shield teams are full of blokes who make their reputation in 20/20.

Those of us old enough will know how big of a rabble Australia was until Simpson returned as captain and what a huge difference he made to the team's performance!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #656
Smith is not a test captain, he has absolutely no idea about how to use a field to apply pressure to a batsmen. It's like he is setting ever field to play for a draw!

Starc did bowl brilliantly in Sri Lanka. Led the attack on unfavourable spinning pitches. Was an absolute gun and leader there. Look forward to Cummins finally getting fit. Once he's fit Siddle will be gone. I'd have played Bird ahead of Siddle.

As for the captaincy jury is still out on Smith. I did notice in Sri Lanka though, albeit in the one day series, how Australia completely turned things around once Warner took over the captaincy.

Reply #657

Starc lost it when he went the short ball at the start of the SA second innings. He looked like he was pissed off with the batsmen and decided to do what he liked.

Reply #658

Actually thought Clarke was an outstanding captain, one of the best 3 I've seen in my lifetime, Ian Chappell, Mark Taylor and Michael Clarke (I was around for Richie Benaud when he was captain but too young). 3 blokes with the rare ability to think ahead of the game. Clarke was given a a side that was pile of crap when installed and took them to no.1. Was most impressed when Warner took over the one day side in Sri Lanka. Looked like we really lifted a cog.

Reply #659
Starc lost it when he went the short ball at the start of the SA second innings. He looked like he was pissed off with the batsmen and decided to do what he liked.

Same error Steyn made in our first innings with the new ball. It was a new ball pitch at the time, which become easier as the ball got older.