Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 546550 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #720
So what's our 'next best' team look like? Changes need to be made ASAP surely!!

Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Patterson
Handscomb
Wade (wk)
Stoinis
Agar
Faulkner
Starc
Bird

Dunno, we've got to get some new blokes in for sure. Who they are the what the make-up of the team looks like, is anyone's guess!

You obviously think the bowling is the problem, you changed almost every bowler but left three of the batsmen in a team that was bowled out for 85 against opposition missing it's major front line bowlers!

I think Marsh as a bowling all-rounder is OK, have Mitch Mitch coming at 7 and he's good value but not as a batting all-rounder. Nevile at 8 and Stoinis at 6.

I think if you go Handscomb then Khawaja should open, Shaun Marsh out and Stoinis in for Voges.

Tough one, the current selectors have really kicked some of those blokes around which leaves them without any support. Oddly enough, I think Neville has to stay now, Wade might make things worse because he is not a gritty batsmen.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #721
You obviously think the bowling is the problem, you changed almost every bowler but left three of the batsmen in a team that was bowled out for 85!

I think Marsh as an all-rounder is OK, have Mitch Mitch marsh coming at 7 and he's good value. Nevile at 8 and Stoinis at 6.

I think if you go Handscomb then  Khawaja should open, Shaun MArsh out, and Stoinis in for Voges.

Tough one, the current selectors have really kicked some of those blokes around which leaves them without any support. Oddly enough, I think Neville has to stay now, Wade might make things worse because he is not a gritty batsmen.

I like Nevill's temperament.

I was really just throwing some names out there for debate.

I see our bowling as incredibly weak.

Batsmen too.

Fielding also.

Think Smith is better to come in at no.3 Just my opinion.

Warner and Khawaja to open I think would work.

I think bottom line, Handscomb and Stoinis need to come in.

I really like Faulkner as a player, Agar too. Faulkner has the grit.

Funny with Wade, I think some debate for him to come in is based on his 'grit'.

Don;t mind Mitch Marsh at 7. Stoinis and him in the team together I think is handy.

Starc plus who as opening bowler? Could Mitch Marsh do the job?

Lyon I'm just not sold on. Same for Josh Hazlewood. They're not the worst though and Lyon's 200+ Test wickets is a a good effort. Who else comes in? Steve O'Keefe maybe?

Reply #722
I like Nevill's temperament.

I was really just throwing some names out there for debate.

I see our bowling as incredibly weak.

Batsmen too.

Fielding also.

Think Smith is better to come in at no.3 Just my opinion.

Warner and Khawaja to open I think would work.

I think bottom line, Handscomb and Stoinis need to come in.

I really like Faulkner as a player, Agar too. Faulkner has the grit.

Funny with Wade, I think some debate for him to come in is based on his 'grit'.

Don;t mind Mitch Marsh at 7. Stoinis and him in the team together I think is handy.

Starc plus who as opening bowler? Could Mitch Marsh do the job?

Lyon I'm just not sold on. Same for Josh Hazlewood. They're not the worst though and Lyon's 200+ Test wickets is a a good effort. Who else comes in? Steve O'Keefe maybe?

Lyon's better than OK.

Hazlewood would be better if we had another front-line quick that didn't waste the new ball so often. Starc is the sort of bowler that reminds me of Tait or Thompson. The luxury you can have when you have Lillee or McGrath at the other end, but we don't have a Lillee or McGrath at the moment. Maybe having Hazelwood and Marsh open the bowling would both send Starc a message and let off some of the pressure on him! We really miss Pattinson.

Khawaja's biggest problem is his weak fielding, and if he has a bad day in the field he has a bad match with the bat!

Wade shows grit but he also has that habit of flashing at the ball on the return crease, a la Warner. These blokes play so much one day and 20/20 they cannot help themselves.

I too like Faulkner, he hasn't been respected by Australian Cricket, if he was in the UK he'd have 50 tests under his belt by now! Isn't he injured though?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #723
Not sure on Faulkner's injury/fitness.

Always said he was a Test cricketer. Obviously the selectors see it quite differently.

Would love a fit and firing Pattinson!

Reply #724
Lyon's better than OK.

Hazlewood would be better if we had another front-line quick that didn't waste the new ball so often. Starc is the sort of bowler that reminds me of Tait or Thompson. The luxury you can have when you have Lillee or McGrath at the other end, but we don't have a Lillee or McGrath at the moment. Maybe having Hazelwood and Marsh open the bowling would both send Starc a message and let off some of the pressure on him! We really miss Pattinson.

Khawaja's biggest problem is his weak fielding, and if he has a bad day in the field he has a bad match with the bat!

Wade shows grit but he also has that habit of flashing at the ball on the return crease, a la Warner. These blokes play so much one day and 20/20 they cannot help themselves.

I too like Faulkner, he hasn't been respected by Australian Cricket, if he was in the UK he'd have 50 tests under his belt by now! Isn't he injured though?

Rather have Wade flashing than Nevill prodding....you look at a gun like DeKock and he takes the attack to the bowlers and has just flogged our blokes, we do better with an attacking keeper at NO 7 IMO.
Hazelwood isnt quick enough for a bowler who doesnt do enough with the ball and is mpre of a N0 3 bowler IMO...
Agree we miss Pattinson...

Reply #725
Will be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of hours, Mennie and Hazlewood getting the ball to move around and they are not specifically know for it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #726
::)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #727
Neville just doesn't make enough runs, I reckon Wade should be looked at.

Lyon has been found out and is bowling horribly.... Time to regain form at shield level.  Same for Burns.

Id look at Bancroft or Maddinson to open.

Replace Mennie with Sayers: Hazelwood is being flogged because he is accurate and looks likely, as a true test standard bowler should.  The others are not contributing enough.

Must have a spin option in Adelaide, ? Maxwell, o'Keefe, Zampa, Holland?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #728
It craps me no end that the media spotlight has been turned on Steve Smith's captaincy when he stands at the non-striker's end and watching the numpties that the selectors expect him to win games with make the same errors over and over and over.

Sorry Voges, its over,  Thanks, but its over.  Next.

Nev....  You seem a decent bloke and a tidy gloveman but you have to make runs.  Next.

Ferg... We'll give you a thank you test in Adelaide so make sure you enjoy it.

Burnsy...  there's a shield game starting on Thursday... make sure you play in it.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #729
I don't see us making many changes in the near future, but I think some need to be made.

I'm not done yet with Mitch Marsh either, but get some others in for starters. I'm keen on Ashton Agar too. I had Patterson at 4. Can he of Handscomb bowl? PH can keep I know. Wouldn't mind 6 bowling options with someone like Trav Head to bowl some offies to go with Agar's lefties.

Here's a potential 12.

Warner
Khawaja
Smith (c)
Handscomb
Head
Stoinis
Wade (wk)
Agar
Faulkner
Starc
Hazlewood
12th Man: Bird

Reply #730
I don't see us making many changes in the near future, but I think some need to be made.

I'm not done yet with Mitch Marsh either, but get some others in for starters. I'm keen on Ashton Agar too. I had Patterson at 4. Can he of Handscomb bowl? PH can keep I know. Wouldn't mind 6 bowling options with someone like Trav Head to bowl some offies to go with Agar's lefties.

Here's a potential 12.

Warner
Khawaja
Smith (c)
Handscomb
Head
Stoinis
Wade (wk)
Agar
Faulkner
Starc
Hazlewood
12th Man: Bird

CEO - Anyone but Sutherland
HPM - What a ridiculous Position - Sack the fool
COS - Mark Taylor
Coach - Steve Waugh

Reply #731
Is cricket in it's current state because the rumors about the internal dissent over the captaincy are true?

If heads roll and Smith survives, will it destroy Australian Cricket for half a decade or more?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #732
Is cricket in it's current state because the rumors about the internal dissent over the captaincy are true?

If heads roll and Smith survives, will it destroy Australian Cricket for half a decade or more?

What are the rumours?
I have only heard Warne sooking like he always does.
Probably because Smith won't consult him about his decisions.
In Adelaide 2 years ago I saw Warne talking to Clarke while Clarke was at 2nd slip after play had started.
His arrogance is beyond belief

Reply #733
I refer to my earlier statements about Australian players being mentally forked by the death of Hughes.

Note, refer to the Voges and Ferguson dismissals, Tasmania, Nov 15th 2016.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #734
Voges shot was a not just a get out shot...it was a get out & stay out shot.  Ferguson, should at least have a couple more tests, very poor if after waiting 10 years for a spot his only test was one it that sort of overall batting implosion.

Wade will not play another test, sorry blokes. Not a test standard keeper.  I really hope we don't fall for the trap of looking for another Gilchrist just because SAF have unearthed one either....that sort of mentality has blighted our all rounder selection process for years.  I agree Neville may not be a long term future, might need to take a punt on someone young like they did with Healy years ago....sadly that sort of inspired selection seem beyond the current Selection panel.....

Bowling, well Hazelwood was good.  Otherwise a journeyman the likes of Kyle Abbott completely showed us up on how to bowl seam up, line & length.  Exactly what Mennie was selected to do !  I wonder how Siddle would have fared on that pitch ?

As Kevin Pietersen said, the pitch was nothing horrible, just a very good test of Batting technique.....which we failed.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.