Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 547146 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #795
The selectors have made a start by dropping Joe Burns, Adam Voges, Peter Nevill, Joe Mennie and Callum Ferguson.

Matthew Renshaw (Queensland), Peter Handscomb (Victoria), Nic Maddinson (New South Wales) and Chadd Sayers (South Australia) get their first chance and Matthew Wade and Jackson Bird have been recalled to the 12 man squad.

I would have included Cam White and Travis Dean but I think there's a limit on the number of Victorians you can have in the squad.

The Sheik must be the new Chief selector :)..this is scorched earth selection policy and what we needed.....
Agree on Dean....dont see White playing test cricket again....this is rebuild stuff....the Yorkshireman Sam Whiteman is a tad unlucky.....might have him thinking about an English Test career if he gets overlooked again..

Reply #796
Maddinson has had a sh1te season, 3 knocks over 30 in his last 13 innings.

Perhaps he is in for his bowling, nup 1 wicket in eight innings. :o

WTF, it's another NSW miracle selection!  >:(

A sceptical cricket follower could be forgiven for thinking they have picked some out of form blokes who will fail in time for the anointed favourites to return. I'll piss myself laughing if they go well and stitch up the blessed ones. :D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #797
The Sheik must be the new Chief selector :)..this is scorched earth selection policy and what we needed.....
Agree on Dean....dont see White playing test cricket again....this is rebuild stuff....the Yorkshireman Sam Whiteman is a tad unlucky.....might have him thinking about an English Test career if he gets overlooked again..

White is in career best form with the bat . . . and he's a only year older than Ferguson and four years younger than Voges.

The selectors should simply be picking the 12 players best able to win the next Test and White has the form, ability and cricket nous to get the job done.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #798
Leaders have got to lead, especially when things are getting tough.

Smith's willingness to use a night-watchman makes me think he's looking for a way out of the kitchen, things are getting too hot for him!

Even if Lyon put his hand up to be a night-watchman, Smith should have said no and took on the responsibility!

Lyon's done the nightwatchman job a few times in Tests, including under Clarke.

Reply #799
Lyon's done the nightwatchman job a few times in Tests, including under Clarke.

The symbolism of Lyon coming in as nightwatchman shouldn't be underestimated.  It clearly informed the Vics that Smith wasn't confident that he could keep the bowlers out and trying to win the game wasn't an option for NSW.  It was meek, reactive captaincy that seems to come to the fore when things aren't going well for Smith.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #800
White is in career best form with the bat . . . and he's a only year older than Ferguson and four years younger than Voges.

The selectors should simply be picking the 12 players best able to win the next Test and White has the form, ability and cricket nous to get the job done.

Dont disagree he is in form..my point is I dont see the selectors going back to too many old players given the media and public have caned the dads army selection policy..Maddinson averages 37 in 1st class cricket which isnt exactly mind blowing and is a IPL player in terms of technique but gets a game based on youth and promise rather than results....and playing for the right state.

Reply #801
Dont disagree he is in form..my point is I dont see the selectors going back to too many old players given the media and public have caned the dads army selection policy..Maddinson averages 37 in 1st class cricket which isnt exactly mind blowing and is a IPL player in terms of technique but gets a game based on youth and promise rather than results....and playing for the right state.

i reckon the LehmANN lad would have got a gig if he'd even managed a 50 this weekend....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #802
Picking Wade just doesn't make sense.
I've never seen a keeper get hit in the chest by the ball as much as this guy. Sure he can bat, but we are off to India soon and another change will be needed.

Reply #803
Renshaw to open with Warner I reckon.

Ah well.  . . . you heard it on here first.  :D . .  ;) . .  ;)
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #804
The should have picked Ellyse Perry, she has a better technique than half the other options!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #805

So are you saying the shouldn't try to build a team for the longer period?
Players should be test ready when they are first selected?

That's pretty short term thinking and exactly what got us in the predicament we are now in.

Reply #806
How has Maddinson got a gig ahead of Patterson? Got talent for sure...otherwise, I am happy with the changes. Hoping Lyon does not play.

Reply #807
So are you saying the shouldn't try to build a team for the longer period?
Players should be test ready when they are first selected?

That's pretty short term thinking and exactly what got us in the predicament we are now in.

We're in the predicament we are now largely because the selectors have focused on blokes who they think could develop into test players and with a couple of blokes who are past it thrown in for good measure.

Picking the best 12 players available isn't such a radical approach.

Reply #808
How has Maddinson got a gig ahead of Patterson? Got talent for sure...otherwise, I am happy with the changes. Hoping Lyon does not play.

Lyon shouldn't plY BASED ON FORM. Smith can bowl a few?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #809
Lyon shouldn't plY BASED ON FORM. Smith can bowl a few?

I think Smith should start to get those leggies going again, just as a part-time option. Would be handy if he can land them effectively for some overs.