Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 546863 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #855
The trouble is bias has burnt some of the best prospective keepers around the country. At U21 level we had a bevy of serious keepers who could all bat at the top of the order and they got kiboshed by development squad selections. It's really starting to hurt Australian Cricket, too much nepotism.

I know of two seriously good youth keepers, one of whom has made a double century on a ACB youth team tour of the UK, who gave cricket away in the last year because of the situation with selection and administrator harassment. Too many cousin's, nephews and other relatives getting spots that are not deserved. The talented kid who is not connected has to work 300% harder to get a spot ahead of Uncle Bozo's very average nephew!

The money now being earned has really corrupted the process. Years back it was just pushy, political parents who were meddling in affairs, now it's also some "player manager/coach/administrators" who gets a slice of the pie as well!

I had one keepers parent tell me if you are not in tight with a certain group of ACB cricket mafia your kids career is pretty much dead and buried by the time they exit their teens. He told me the kid was harassed by certain officials to leave school and move interstate to play club cricket, even showed me an abusive text stating that if his kid didn't accept the offer they would assume he wasn't serious about the game and he should give it away! The lad was just 16!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #856
Ian Chappell says Wade has to go before the India series.....although I'd expect most of Lyons deliveries to end up in the stand anyway and stumpings will be rare.
I like Whiteman from WA if we had to go a replacement but I presume Nevill from NSW will get the job again,,,

Reply #857
Wade was always going to have issues with the pink ball.

I doubt whether Nevill will be back; silent wicket keepers don't really suit our cricket.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #858
Wade was always going to have issues with the pink ball.

I doubt whether  Nevill will be back; silent wicket keepers don't really suit our cricket.

;D  ;D ;D ;D
Nice try

Reply #859
  ;D  ;D ;D ;D
Nice try

I was surprised that Wade was picked for day-night tests when his issues with the pink ball are well known. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #860
Neville?

How is picking an ageing statesmen moving the teams fortunes forward?

Many of our batsmen do not have the techniques required for the sub-continent so I suspect we will be smashed anyway. Why not find some new blood and expose them in a series we are unlikely to win anyway?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #861
Ian Chappell says Wade has to go before the India series.....although I'd expect most of Lyons deliveries to end up in the stand anyway and stumpings will be rare.
I like Whiteman from WA if we had to go a replacement but I presume Nevill from NSW will get the job again,,,

Does anyone pay any attention to what Chappell says?  If ever a commentator was past his use by date it's young Ian. 

Wade isn't the cleanest gloveman but he provides the glue that brings the team together.  I think that is far more important than the odd fumble. If there was to be a change, I'd be tempted to give Handscomb the gloves, provided it wouldn't impact on his batting.

Reply #862
Does anyone pay any attention to what Chappell says?  If ever a commentator was past his use by date it's young Ian. 

Wade isn't the cleanest gloveman but he provides the glue that brings the team together.  I think that is far more important than the odd fumble. If there was to be a change, I'd be tempted to give Handscomb the gloves, provided it wouldn't impact on his batting.

Can he captain as well as keep and bat?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #863

Handscomb will be the backup keeper on short tours but wont be taking the gloves for Australia in a full time role IMO.
.he is now 3rd or 4th choice keeper for Victoria and his batting is too important.
I dont think Chappell's opinion will sway selectors and while the team are winning there wont be many changes....even Maddinson will be carried in the interests of development..both him and Wade have failed
with the bat in recent times but the team have been after quick runs and have thrown their wickets away.
Justin Langar will be the next national coach and I expect WA's Whiteman will be the next keeper in waiting...Yorkshire born, handy with the bat and Ashes tour coming up.....

Reply #864
Handscomb will be the backup keeper on short tours but wont be taking the gloves for Australia in a full time role IMO.
.he is now 3rd or 4th choice keeper for Victoria and his batting is too important.
I dont think Chappell's opinion will sway selectors and while the team are winning there wont be many changes....even Maddinson will be carried in the interests of development..both him and Wade have failed
with the bat in recent times but the team have been after quick runs and have thrown their wickets away.
Justin Langar will be the next national coach and I expect WA's Whiteman will be the next keeper in waiting...Yorkshire born, handy with the bat and Ashes tour coming up.....

The politics of cricket in Australia are extreme, that is why I posed the earlier question.

EB1, this Handscomb for Wicket Keeper noise surfaced over the weekend coming out of NSW Grade Cricket and quickly propagated around Australia. Handscomb is a serious alternative to Smith for Captain and the NSW Cricket Mafia know that making Handscomb look like a wicket keeping alternative pretty much deals him out as far as captaincy is concerned.

Better to pose that question about Handscomb than ask why Smith removed Lyon from the attack after an over that generated two chances, to bowl Maddinson for what everyone thought was going to be a change of ends, only to be proven wrong when Bird resumed at the other end and Maddinson kept bowling!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #865
Smith is just guessing, this bloke doesn't know what he is doing, and it shows in the body language of his team-mates and opposition!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #866
Why is Smith getting pumped over his captaincy? I'd be asking Starc why he bowls crap and serves up soft runs and messes up whatever plan is being organised.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #867
....and typically he bowls a  Jaffa and basically wins the game.

I don't know where it's going to come from but we need a fifth bowling option.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #868

Well done Prof - got us over the line  ;)

Good result for cricket and the crowds at the MCG.

Reply #869

Hilton Cartwright might be worth a thought. Batting all rounder averaging 44 in FC cricket and was in the recent ODI squad.