Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 547467 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #975
Change will be key to producing another result, you won't see our bowlers getting 12 wickets from straight deliveries next test.

He doesn't average 22 with the ball in first class cricket by being a mug though.

Reply #976
He doesn't average 22 with the ball in first class cricket by being a mug though.

I agree LAJ, but he isn't Warne either.

Many of his wickets had nothing to do with his bowling and everything to do with the Indian batting, but he wasn't alone in that regard.

You mentioned your surprise when you thought Starc had won Man-of-the-Match. But given he took Australia's first innings from ordinary to acceptable, and then knocked over two of the world's top three batsmen in one over to start the rot, it wouldn't be so hard to claim he was the most influential player.

Without doubt India's overconfidence entering the match with only 5 batsmen and their elite top order failing under Starc, contributed to the rubbish batting by the Indian lower order and benefited O'Keefe greatly.

But regardless of the O'Keefe situation, that won't happen next match, and we should not expect the same formula to work.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #977
Dunno, apparently 18 months planning went into this game and if they can stick to what has proven to be a successful style of play I'd expect it to remain so.

What concerns me more is that our batting remains very  fragile and the next collapse could occur at any time.   At some stage we are going to have to bat for 5+ sessions and I don't see it happening.

Pretty clear that the Indian spinner don't like big left handers that are prepared to punish anything hittable. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #978
Dunno, apparently 18 months planning went into this game and if they can stick to what has proven to be a successful style of play I'd expect it to remain so.

What concerns me more is that our batting remains very  fragile and the next collapse could occur at any time.   At some stage we are going to have to bat for 5+ sessions and I don't see it happening.

Pretty clear that the Indian spinner don't like big left handers that are prepared to punish anything hittable.

I said this before the series started. I didnt think we would win the series, but they prepared and planned very well. The changes in the team in the summer, the 2 week camp in Dubai, The clear and evident batting and bowling plans executed. I was hoping they got the reward at some stage for the preparation and lo and behold it came quicker and faster than imagined.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #979
India batting rubbish again, if Australia hadn't dropped Rahul twice India would've been all out by now!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #980
India all out 189

Lyon 8/50

Australia 0/21

Reply #981
Shaun Marsh equal top score and not out  :o  All is forgiven!

Lehmann deserves credit for the preparation and execution of a very good gameplan.  It's a far cry from the ad hoc approach we've taken to previous India tours.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #982
Then chips it to mid on.  Top score and out.  Mentally exhausted you'd reckon.

Enough has been said about his brother... next.

Reply #983
Well, we've batted for the entire day even if we only scored 197 runs in the day.  The batters' application can't be faulted.

This match could have any number of results, particularly if it rains, but I reckon we'd be in with a chance if we can get a 100 run lead on the first innings.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #984
Our number 2 opener is a very good player, on home soil anyway....

Our number one opener looks like he could be a great.
What application and guts from a 20 year old.

Simple technique that will improve over time.
Doesn't go too hard at the ball, which is a great attribute on foreign pitches

Reply #985
Well, we've batted for the entire day even if we only scored 197 runs in the day.  The batters' application can't be faulted.

This match could have any number of results, particularly if it rains, but I reckon we'd be in with a chance if we can get a 100 run lead on the first innings.

A decent lead on 1st innings is critical.....if they can get a 150-200 odd lead before we bat next, look out! We're due a collapse!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #986
At least they've had a fair dinkum go, can't knock that.

Application plus talent equals results.

Reply #987
This Test looks like it's headed towards and interesting conclusion; India is 163 in front with two wickets left.

I reckon we're in with a chance if the lead is under 200.

Hazlewood has the bowling honours this innings and it's interesting that the pace bowlers have done the damage.

Reply #988
Will be interesting to see if anyone gets dropped after this regardless of the result.
Warner and M Marsh surely must be looked at.
Warner doesn't look like he even has a plan, let alone executing one.

Reply #989
Warner is not reading the script and is not batting smart, but how a LH bat can be given LBW on a turning deck against a RH orthodox bowler staggers me. 

Wade isn't doing enough either and we must have seen the last of Mitch "lead boots" Marsh.  His brother is far too inconsistent for test level. 

They had a real go but batting last on such an appalling pitch was never going to end well.

Would have been nice to have seen Kohli choke on it but the Hollywood script doesn't apply to Australian cricket.