Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 546863 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #1065
Not even three hours in and we're %&%ed.

%^%&)ing batsmen, when are they going to stand up and contribute something???
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1066
Not even three hours in and we're %&%ed.

%^%&)ing batsmen, when are they going to stand up and contribute something???

You may have gone too soon Prof.

Losing only one wicket in the session was a pretty good effort even if we only scored 85 runs.  Wickets in hand may be more important than runs at this stage.  A very restrained and responsible innings from Maxwell and Smith's innings must be driving Kohli mad :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1067
Maxwell brought up his 50 with a six but the ball was there to be hit.  Well done by the Big Show!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1068
Maxwell was always a better option than Mitch Marsh in India - one could well argue bad selection cost us the 2nd Test.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #1069
Maxwell was always a better option than Mitch Marsh in India - one could well argue bad selection cost us the 2nd Test.
How amazing is this innings by Smith? He is quickly moving into rare air in terms of best ever test batsmen, especially if he goes really big here and they win the test and the series. No one gave them any chance 3 weeks ago, and he has played them into a commanding position.

And could this be the making of Maxy?? He's always had the talent but not the brains, but batting with Smith has transformed him. 

Reply #1071
How amazing is this innings by Smith? He is quickly moving into rare air in terms of best ever test batsmen, especially if he goes really big here and they win the test and the series. No one gave them any chance 3 weeks ago, and he has played them into a commanding position.

And could this be the making of Maxy?? He's always had the talent but not the brains, but batting with Smith has transformed him.

Yes, Smith has been brilliant in this series, despite being targeted.  A real captain's knock!

Maxwell's 75no is the highest score by an Australian No.6 since Steve Smith's 100 against South Africa in Centurion in Feb, 2014

That's an indictment on our selectors but a great milestone for Maxwell.  Hopefully it is the making of him as a test cricketer.  I reckon batting all rounders who can bowl are better value than bowling all rounders who can bat a bit.

A very good session for Australia and a great partnership from Smith and Maxwell.  That means more pressure on the Indians and on Kohli.  I bet they're not looking forward to batting last  :)

Reply #1072
I'm not a big fan of Smith's field settings or in field tactics, and I think he mismanages a lot of bowlers.

But batting he is an arm and a leg ahead of the other options when it comes to leading from the front. I hope he talks Maxwell through to his ton tomorrow and the pair go on to double tons.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1074
Well I am, and a bit less frustrated than earlier.

We won the toss, a tremendous advantage, and needed to bat big (runs and time), as we won't make meaningful runs in the second dig and we need to bat until the pitch starts to break up otherwise the Indians will rust on.  6 sessions and 500 is what we need.

Watching the same blokes make the same )(&)(&ing mistakes annoys the heck out of me...

Warner is a bully on true pitches but is clearly caught in two minds ATM and playing confused.  He needs to simplify it and make a contribution.  Not good enough.

Marsh just isn't up to it.  Yet another folly selection on reputation.  He isn't scoring and when he fails he comes and goes in a blink.

Renshaw played the shot of a kid learning the game, he won't fall for that trick again.

Handscombe does the hard work and gets starts, and places great store on his wicket but keeps getting out when set.  ARRRRRGH!
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1075
Been saying it for a while that Maxwell is our best bet at No 6, wont fire every game but will win games, he may not be everybody's best mate in the dressing room and be a loose cannon every now and then but talent wise he has got the goods IMO to be a very good international cricketer in all forms of the game..

Reply #1076
Been saying it for a while that Maxwell is our best bet at No 6, wont fire every game but will win games, he may not be everybody's best mate in the dressing room and be a loose cannon every now and then but talent wise he has got the goods IMO to be a very good international cricketer in all forms of the game..
I agree. I also don't think you can underestimate the impact that batting with Smith had on him in these conditions. Having your skipper at the other end, batting beautifully and just grinding out runs without taking risks would have been a huge influence on him. He was scratchy and a little lucky early, but once he got through the tough period he looked assured and he is always looking to play with intent to score.

The issue with Maxy is all between his ears - he has too much talent for his own good when batting, and if can learn how to control the situation better through shot selection and patience then he really could be anything. I just hope that that this innings is the 'light bulb' moment for him, as having a versatile player at 6 who can build an innings like yesterday when needed, or blast quick runs if required, makes us a much more potent side. Hopefully Smith gives him a run with ball to build on his confidence.

Reply #1077
Hopefully Smith gives him a run with ball to build on his confidence.

We've already seen crap unexpected and odd deliveries get unusual wickets on this pitch, Maxwell is the perfect option.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1078
We've already seen crap unexpected and odd deliveries get unusual wickets on this pitch, Maxwell is the perfect option.
Exactly - these types of pitches are perfect for an unpredictable bowler like Maxy and it keeps the batsmen guessing.

By late day 3 or day 4 this pitch could be doing anything!! It looks great to bat on now, but the Indian commentators all reckon it is going to deteriorate quickly after 2 days play on it.

Reply #1079

Not quite sure how he ended up out the of the vic side earlier in the season...