Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 547186 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #105
Gee that sledging must have got to Trott.
Gone home with stress related injuries !
( unless of course there's an existing type mental condition we/ I don't know of )
I wonder if Warner knew ?

Reply #106
Michael Clarke fined 25% for telling Anderson he was going to have his #%^¥ing arm broken!!

What are we getting to....any race, colour, religion or creed abuse in it?

This is pathetic! Every cricketer in every grade is now on notice, if this is the bar that has been set.  Grow up cricket, even the women sledge harder than that!!

Its is getting soft. Do they consider it is a threat on the players well being. Heard it on the news today.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #107
If Mitch had broken his arm he wouldn't have copped $hit, but on this occasions words are more dangerous. Mad. :o
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #108
Gee that sledging must have got to Trott.
Gone home with stress related injuries !
( unless of course there's an existing type mental condition we/ I don't know of )
I wonder if Warner knew ?

Dont have a problem with Clarke vs Anderson with what was said...the Englishman is a well known sledger and needler and has to expect to get it back....fining Clarke was pathetic.

Warner vs Trott however I do have a problem...its not like Trott is a sledger or stirrer(hello KP) and what he said was degrading to question Trotts courage considering his record vs Trott's and I have the feeling now Trott has gone home that Warner is going to need ear muffs when he bats because he will cop plenty...and its a shame because he has been batting well and had no need to say anything.

Love the Johnson approach...let the ball do the talking and keep your thoughts to yourself......

Reply #109
The words are being delivered by Warner's mouth but they are coming direct from the Aus team, he's not doing this on his own.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #110
The words are being delivered by Warner's mouth but they are coming direct from the Aus team, he's not doing this on his own.

exactly.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #111

exactly.

That part reflects on the captain and his attitude towards the English players. You expect tension with international competitions. Merv put a funny spin on it this afternoon stating he said worse than what he has heard with our current players. He also said the players now would never get away with how the players were years ago. I guess there need to be some boundaries, but it isn't chess they are playing. Having said that I saw a chess game on the internet that broke out into a full on brawl once. :o
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #112

exactly.

That part reflects on the captain and his attitude towards the English players. You expect tension with international competitions. Merv put a funny spin on it this afternoon stating he said worse than what he has heard with our current players. He also said the players now would never get away with how the players were years ago. I guess there need to be some boundaries, but it isn't chess they are playing. Having said that I saw a chess game on the internet that broke out into a full on brawl once. :o

I'd be looking more at BOOF and Rod Marsh.

Marsh would have known a lot of these guys at the English Cricket Academy which he set up.

BOOF isn't that long out of the game and he was a very smart cricketer late in his career and a massive stirrer.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #113
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-25/jonathan-trott-returns-home-from-ashes-series-due-to-stress/5115796?section=sport

England batsman Jonathan Trott has returned home from the Ashes series and will not play cricket "for the foreseeable future" due to a "stress-related illness".

The South Africa-born number three has been targeted relentlessly after displaying a vulnerability to short bowling in the recent series in England.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #114
It's never nice to hear something like that, and I hope he does ok. I don't particularly like the type of comment Warner made but England have done similar with Clark and the short ball, and there are numerous examples of similar in the past.

Reply #118
Man, sledging is just part of cricket. A great part of cricket. A part that all of us enjoy whether we want to play it 'PC' or not!

It's always aimed just to rattle the opposition psychologically, and most real men can have a laugh and a drink with the blokes they were just sledging almost as soon as they walk off the field.

I once told a batsman that he looked like he'd just eaten half his team mates while I was fielding at short leg. Next ball was short and he pulled it straight at my head. I ducked it, laughed, then bet him 20 cheeseburgers that he couldn't do that again. He tried, got wrapped on the pads, and was given LBW.

He bought me a beer after the game, and I actually did buy him a pie haha.

Another time I was batting and facing the association leading wicket taker. There was a horribly ugly woman berating her children on some play equipment nearby. He bowled me a ripping outswinger that I played and missed at but only just. He made a comment about my lack of footwork (pretty fair, really, it was awful!) to which I replied 'Mate, I'll take care of my footwork when you go take care of your missus' and pointed over to the play equipment. Even his team mates gave him crap over that one, but the next ball was straight at my head again (which was fine, that's cricket!).

Once again, we shared a beer and a laugh after the game.

People need to stop being so damned precious! It's ruining sport, it's ruining cricket, it's making it impossible to be Australian!

Build a bridge! (just don't burn it down, you silly poms!)
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Reply #119
Man, sledging is just part of cricket. A great part of cricket. A part that all of us enjoy whether we want to play it 'PC' or not!

It's always aimed just to rattle the opposition psychologically, and most real men can have a laugh and a drink with the blokes they were just sledging almost as soon as they walk off the field.

I once told a batsman that he looked like he'd just eaten half his team mates while I was fielding at short leg. Next ball was short and he pulled it straight at my head. I ducked it, laughed, then bet him 20 cheeseburgers that he couldn't do that again. He tried, got wrapped on the pads, and was given LBW.

He bought me a beer after the game, and I actually did buy him a pie haha.

Another time I was batting and facing the association leading wicket taker. There was a horribly ugly woman berating her children on some play equipment nearby. He bowled me a ripping outswinger that I played and missed at but only just. He made a comment about my lack of footwork (pretty fair, really, it was awful!) to which I replied 'Mate, I'll take care of my footwork when you go take care of your missus' and pointed over to the play equipment. Even his team mates gave him crap over that one, but the next ball was straight at my head again (which was fine, that's cricket!).

Once again, we shared a beer and a laugh after the game.

People need to stop being so damned precious! It's ruining sport, it's ruining cricket, it's making it impossible to be Australian!

Build a bridge! (just don't burn it down, you silly poms!)

hey Nathbear, yeah I agree that sledging is part of cricket, but unfortunately the last season I played, it was not clever or funny sledging that made up most of it. It was just abuse. I'd had a few years off & decided to play one last season before family comittments meant that dedicating most of my weekend to cricket was not possible......& I couldn't believe in the time I'd been out of the game, the increase in the amount of verbals...and mostly coming from the young guys (late teens) playing in the higher grades.  The worst thing about this was that after the game, all these kids either jump in their cars, or get their Mummy or Daddy to pick them up & p!ssed off stright after the match......none of them stick around for a beer with the oppo anymore & therefore there's no opportunity to have a laugh about on-field stuff & consequently you have no respect for them next time you play them.

This is the main problem with cricket in Australia, particularly at the higher grade level.  There's very few of the older guys sticking around club cricket anymore teaching the young blokes how to play & how to behave on field & off. 

I still miss playing like you wouldn't believe....but I don't miss the moronic, witless cr@p than seems to go with it now.

cheers

Mal.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.