Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 546521 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #120
Sledging if its clever and witty is ok but you dont know how some players will react on and off the field...had a incident in a sub district 2nds  game I was playing where things were said and one of the parties challenged the other to repeat it off the field.....it ended up in a fist fight in the car park with a few players involved. The aggrieved player wouldnt let it go either and on the return match wanted another piece of our player and after contact on the pitch and more push and shove we decided our bloke had best go home a bit early to avoid more car park stoushes.

Reply #121
Firstly, on the sledging side of things. I've never been a big fan of it, usually the act of players who are out of his depth trying to find some way to drag opponents down. I've always viewed it as a compliment, once they start the sledging you know you have the better of them!

I'd rather let the bat or ball do my talking.

On the pace bowling side of things, some of the current blokes mouthing off need to be sent back in time to face the West Indies or Lillee and Thompson. Most modern bowlers are so over-rated because the majority of batsmen that they are bowling to are not much more than 20/20 hacks. If they were bowling to Viv Richards, Clive Lloyd or Doug Walters they would be ducking balls being driven at their head! Can you imagine Richards using a modern bat, FFS it would be homicide????
The Force Awakens!

Reply #122
From Wiki

There is debate in the cricketing world as to whether this constitutes poor sportsmanship or good-humoured banter. Sledging is often mistaken for abuse, and whilst comments aimed as sledges do sometimes cross the line into personal abuse, this is not usually the case. Sledging is usually simply an often humorous, sometimes insulting attempt at distraction.

Even in Clarke's case I don't think it constitutes personal abuse. Definitely lacks wit and is a poor image to the kids who hold him in regard as Captain of Australia. Clarkes fine should have been more along the lines of inappropriate behaviour that brings disrepute to the position of Captain of the Australian cricket side.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #123
I used to open the batting, one day i've played a rather unorthodox shot off the opening bowler, absolutely nailed it and deposited him for 6 over midwicket. The next ball he has dug it in, i've lost sight of it and he has pinged one into my helmet. That was the end of the over and i started to wander down the pitch to have a chat to my partner, the bowler was hanging around giving me the evil eye. I've gone with "what's the matter sook, haven't you been hit for 6 before?", to which he replied "not by someone as sh1t as you!". Had to pay that!

Reply #124
I've been in three fights as an adult (not counting work).

Two of them were playing cricket.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #125

I've been in heaps of punch ups.  ;D Most of them were after 11 at night.  ;D

Reply #126

I'd say that any physical contact in cricket is crossing a major line.  But on the other hand, if your sister is smashing you all over the backyard...

Reply #127
Haha I've been chased around by a guy who pulled a stump out of the ground and had to intervene when an opposition player attacked another guy on my team, but other than those two incidents I haven't been involved in serious violence on a cricket field.

The latter incident involved the leading run scorer in the association attacking the captain of my team, it ended up at the tribunal at Cricket Queensland and the player in question was suspended for a year, with the captain of his team copping 3 matches and a couple other players on their team being suspended also. I think one of ours copped a suspended sentence, but that was it. They ended up pulling out of the finals, which gave us a bye in the first round due to forfeit and we went on the win an A-Grade Grand Final in a canter.

Sledging will always hold a dear place in my heart :P
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Reply #128
I guess the Auzzie cricketers haven't had an opportunity in recent times to sledge. I mean what's the point of sledging when your team is copping a flogging. Just makes you look like a bigger dick

Reply #129
Haha I've been chased around by a guy who pulled a stump out of the ground and had to intervene when an opposition player attacked another guy on my team, but other than those two incidents I haven't been involved in serious violence on a cricket field.
So are you and Fatprick Smith still friends?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #130

I'd say that any physical contact in cricket is crossing a major line.  But on the other hand, if your sister is smashing you all over the backyard...

She played a mean cover drive but no wasn't her.

They were both the result of a few seasons of really close and spiteful games.

Not sure why but the animosity was deep and wide. Funny thing is all these years later I quite like most of them and we laugh about the "almost" brawls, I think we all recognize we were being stupid.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #131
Warner's failure today highlights the reasons behind my opinion that he is a goose who is not suited to test match cricket!  ::)

On this pitch, with a bit of good weather, there might be very few dismissals!

If Roger's can get settled he might bat through the match!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #132
Warner's failure today highlights the reasons behind my opinion that he is a goose who is not suited to test match cricket!  ::)

If Roger's get settled he might bat through the match!

Agreed LP, Warner is not a Test player, ditto the bimbo (Watson) for that matter.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #133

If Roger's get settled he might bat through the match!

Agreed LP, Warner is not a Test player, ditto the bimbo (Watson) for that matter.

On another forum I was having an argument about Warner and Watson. Some jerk was trying to tell me Warner was OK using Watson's dismissal as a relative measure. But I had to argue comparing one nuffa with another only makes a double nuffa.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #134
More evidence today that Watson has a concentration issue... so often gets out after batting for two hours... or just after making a milestone.  Simply doesn't go on with the job and that's the difference between 250 all out and 400.

Don't get me started on Smith.  Batsmen who get out in the last over before breaks should be dropped.  Idiotic stuff.

If Clarke isn't batting at stumps I'd be worried, very worried.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?