Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 546902 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #225
I heard on the radio today that Shaun Marsh can't throw and has to have someone follow him when he chases a ball to the boundary.  :o

I thought modern cricketers had to excel at fielding  :-\

And he dropped 2 catches! Terrible choice to give him yet ANOTHER undeserved selection ahead of a number of other more suitable options.

I wish my Dad played for Australia....

Reply #226

Would've hated bowling in yesterday's condition. Can't imagine bowling in high 30s with high humidity. Our's bowlers, what was left of them, were cannon fodder by the 3rd sessions and we got carted accordingly. Bad toss to lose.

Got memories of playing on a 40+ degree day a few years ago with thick bush fire smoke hanging in the air... captain lost the toss, sensed that the troops were a little down as a result, and proceeded to bark that cricket is a summer sport, so deal with it, and stop f***ing whinging.

They made 380.  ;D

Reply #227
Excremental batting from the usual suspects.  Time to start looking at blooding some new talent and giving them some game time prior to the next Ashes series.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #228
Excremental batting from the usual suspects.  Time to start looking at blooding some new talent and giving them some game time prior to the next Ashes series.

Who else have NSW got?  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #229
You know your top level batsmen are not earning their keep, when Johnson, Stark, Lyon and Hazelwood need to tow the line. Very happy with the tail helping Smith move along and get us a decent total. We potentially could have fallen short in our total without the tail wagging. Mind you the Indian bowlers didn't help themselves opting to shake Johnson up early at the crease.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #230
I was hoping that the Indians bombing Johnson might rile him up a bit and get him to fire up with the ball.

We are a horribly unbalanced side at the moment... only about 50% of the blokes on a given day are performing.  Hard to win consistently when the side doesn't give a consistent effort.

Reply #231
Maybe after a night to reflect on where they could have been in this game, and where they actually are, and still in a possible position to win this test, they will all fire up with the ball in the morning. They have bowled well at times but are too predictable with their execution. The delivery at Haddin that had him caught out, is how I would like to see the bouncers be bowled. Just no too often. Keep the pressure up with the line and length, ball after ball. Need to be sharp fielding too.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #232
Haddin's heroics of last summer with the bat seem to have deserted him. Deserves another match based on his efforts with the gloves alone, but Steve Smiths appointment as skipper may have been an indication that CA has it's doubts about Haddin's immediate future in the test side.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #233
Need a real no 3 the incumbent must have used the last of his 167 chances....

Reply #235
Our batting.....Aaaaaaaaargh they annoy me.

Reply #236
Our batting.....Aaaaaaaaargh they annoy me.

Watson is disappointing and if it wasnt for his ability to roll the arm over would be out IMO...given M Marsh is dodgy with injury I reckon Watson will stay in the team.
The Indians really give it to Watson sledging wise and he looks mentally cooked when he bats IMO..needs to loosen up and keep it simple...
Shaun Marsh isnt up to it IMO but will get another chance...
Rogers has done enough this test to keep his place for the summer and will make the ashes trip.....I reckon Jordan Silk will take his place after that...

India are just too inconsistent with ball and bat.....Johnson bowled well but the Indians helped him out playing some poor shots.

Kholi has had 30 slips catching attempts for a 50% strike rate...if I was an Indian quick I would be telling Dhoni I want Kholi at third man....

Reply #237
Its the brainless soft dismissals that irk me...  rubbish pull shots to balls outside off, strangles down the leg side, rubbish cut shots to point.   Its all well and good to be aggressive but there's a time and place.  Notice how often we lose a wicket just before an interval - Watson is a serial offender in that regard, he has a serious concentration issue but he ain't the lone ranger in that regard.

We so often lose on slow tracks because we don't bat time - we rarely bat for more than 3-4 sessions so we never leave the other mob out there long enough to suffer in inclement conditions etc.

Watson will get another go but I would be seriously looking at a bloke like Faulkner for the allrounder position.  Another that will get another go is S Marsh but surely the acid must be on... how many chances do some blokes get?  They have to start taking some of them!

Reply #238
Need a real no 3 the incumbent must have used the last of his 167 chances....

Yeah we do...and badly...and in a hurry.

Still reckon Khawaja can bat in that spot but otherwise I'd be looking at Steve Smith now.

There aint much else and asking a rookie to come in and bat there is ridiculous.

Reply #239
Boxing Day

Warner
Rogers
Cowan (Belting down the door. 4 centuries including a double 150 last game. Ready to go)
Smith
S.Marsh
M.Marsh/Watson (depending on Marsh's fitness. Only need one allrounder)
Haddin (needs to make runs but is in terrific form with the gloves)
Johnson
Harris
Lyon
Hazelwood

I always liked Watson in because he added to the bowling but with Mitch Marsh playing now Watson isn't needed. Watson was a godsend in the conditions for his bowling in this Test after Marsh went down but if Marsh is fit Watson becomes surfluous. Only plays, at 6, if Marsh is injured. We can put Cowan in, who's form is exquisite right now.

Great win in the end given where we were before lunch yesterday.