Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 547205 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #270
Wally Edwards comments about Victoria not doing enough to produce Test cricketers have been shown up by the selection of Ashton Agar  :o

Forgetting the fact that he is originally a Victorian, his selection shows that form has nothing to do with getting picked; 7 wickets at 45 and 130 runs at 26 is hardly putting your hand up for a Test spot.

How they didn't pick Boyce is beyond me

Would have Cam Boyce in my squad yes for sure.

Reply #271
India play the spinners with ease and Smith can roll his arm over if we need an extra spinner...as it is Lyon really only supports the quicks and is never a real threat unless bowling with a million runs on the board where he can buy wickets
Be more exciting if we picked Pattinson or Cummins and went hard at India.
The Indians would be happy to see Agar or Boyce in at the expense of Hazlewood or Harris etc IMO...

Reply #272
I reckon that we could play an extra quick - someone like Pattinson or Cummins - who could maintain the pace attack so we just use Watson and Lyon and the part timers at one end.  There are more than enough runs in the tail to go without one of the batsmen.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #273
Any thought of Smith taking Bailey's spot as 20-20 captain is dead and buried!

Bailey's winning innings, and that six(6) tonight, surely fix his position for sometime to come!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #274
Any thought of Smith taking Bailey's spot as 20-20 captain is dead and buried!

Bailey's winning innings, and that six(6) tonight, surely fix his position for sometime to come!

Really woke the crowd up tonight, didn't he ? I would not have guessed they could chase down a total so large before they went in to bat. I should have thought twice. :o
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #275
Smith's 4th First innings hundred four tests in a row still won't be enough for some... I couldn't give a stuff about India's Pop Gun attack...the guy can bat and has a great temperament... unlike Watson who is a Spud and has enjoyed 3 years of Test Cricket  he didn't deserve ;)

Reply #276
One ball moved on the morning session and Rodgers nicked it.  Watson nicks in the last over of the day then holes out.  These pitches and bowling make some of our blokes look better than they are.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #277
Watching the game today showed me this is an easy pitch to make runs on. India are easy to score against  as they have no pressure in their bowling tactics. They bowl rubbish delivery, after rubbish delivery. Don't even start on their fielding and taking catches. Really could have had Rogers, Watson and Marsh out before they went on to score great innings. This is the first time in a long time the upper order batsmen all scored really well. Rogers 95, Warner 101, Smith 117, Marsh 73, Burns 58. When is the last time we had the top 5 batsmen all firing over half centuries ?

That was nice to see, and Harris hitting 25 off 9 balls was fun to watch too.

If Australia can take 3 wickets early in the first session of play tomorrow, they may have the Indian team on the ropes. The pressure may creep on them and make them choke. If however they lose only one wicket, or none by lunchtime, it will be a long day in the field for the Aussies, and the game will be headed for a no result. I think the Aussies needed to swing the bat earlier today to declare earlier, to give themselves more time to bowl India out. We look like we might run out of time with this match. But you never really know what can happen.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #278
Like I said previously, I'd play Steve Smith at no.3 sometime soon. He wants it and can handle it IMO.

Reply #279
Watching the game today showed me this is an easy pitch to make runs on. India are easy to score against  as they have no pressure in their bowling tactics. They bowl rubbish delivery, after rubbish delivery. Don't even start on their fielding and taking catches. Really could have had Rogers, Watson and Marsh out before they went on to score great innings. This is the first time in a long time the upper order batsmen all scored really well. Rogers 95, Warner 101, Smith 117, Marsh 73, Burns 58. When is the last time we had the top 5 batsmen all firing over half centuries ?

If Australia can take 3 wickets early in the first session of play tomorrow, they may have the Indian team on the ropes. The pressure may creep on them and make them choke. If however they lose only one wicket, or none by lunchtime, it will be a long day in the field for the Aussies, and the game will be headed for a no result. I think the Aussies needed to swing the bat earlier today to declare earlier, to give themselves more time to bowl India out. We look like we might run out of time with this match. But you never really know what can happen.

I'd give up fast bowling if I was presented with this pitch on a regular basis......on the back of Adelaide & Melbourne as well.

Geez we've rolled the welcome mat out for the Indian bats compared to what we got for the Ashes last year...which was pretty much perfect for mine (but that's coming from an ex quick of course !)

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #280

I'd give up fast bowling if I was presented with this pitch on a regular basis......on the back of Adelaide & Melbourne as well.

Geez we've rolled the welcome mat out for the Indian bats compared to what we got for the Ashes last year...which was pretty much perfect for mine (but that's coming from an ex quick of course !)
Don't forget the Indians run World Cricket...wickets we prepared were at their request... ;)

Reply #281
Like I said previously, I'd play Steve Smith at no.3 sometime soon. He wants it and can handle it IMO.

I'm still dubious of his technique when  under pressure with the ball moving and on greener wickets, while he is make runs at No 4 I would leave him there
and wouldnt mess with what is working.
India have been a disgrace wit the ball....as Harris showed vs Kumar who was bowling at less than 130k its just been a picnic for batsman....
These blokes get there IPL money and just dont show up for test cricket unless its in India where they have to put on a show..

Reply #282
Be nice if we left slightly more juice in these pitches..... YAWN.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #283

It just shows who is running cricket these days - imagine if we prepared our pitches to meet the Poms' requirements  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #284

It just shows who is running cricket these days - imagine if we prepared our pitches to meet the Poms' requirements  ::)

No wonder New Zealand are winning every series at home of late, they must be the only team in the world that play on wickets with any grass or sideways movement....
India have stuffed cricket with all their money, IPL comp, we have more match fixing(hello Chris Cairns and Lou Vincent) thanks to all the dirty money in the game and
players like Glen Maxwell getting a million bucks a season to play cross batted park cricket is ridiculous IMO..
Players like Chris Gayle have turned their back on their country for Indian money and the Windies are just a basket case in terms of cricketing structure back home and are a 3rd  world team.....half of Pakistans team are in jail for match fixing.

Australia, England, South Africa are about the only countries who you can trust to be fair dinkum when they go out to play these days.....