Skip to main content
Topic: RD 4: Carlton VS Melbourne (Read 111795 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 4: Carlton VS Melbourne

Reply #90
@ Cookie and Crash

What if for one game we went MAN on MAN and made everyone accountable, you'd be given a guy for the whole game and you must stop him.
Reminds me of that game Brittain made it 1 on 1 around the ground for the whole match against the Bummers and we got over the line.
Just saying it might make them start thinking about running the other way.(At least Jog on that direction ;))

It's certainly a thought BP, but my preference is to focus on playing the way we want to play going forward - hopefully that way has got full buy-in by all, and, for better or worse, those that haven't bought in should not be selected. From what is being observed by some of the sages on here, and already stated by MM, we are being out-worked so that is a real worry for me, especially with the midfield. A lot of that could be addressed by some better on-field leadership in the form of assistance and constructive encouragement from our so-called leaders and more senior players.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #91
@ Cookie and Crash

What if for one game we went MAN on MAN and made everyone accountable, you'd be given a guy for the whole game and you must stop him.
Reminds me of that game Brittain made it 1 on 1 around the ground for the whole match against the Bummers and we got over the line.
Just saying it might make them start thinking about running the other way.(At least Jog on that direction ;))
We certainly need more of it. It was patently obvious on Sunday.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #92
@Crash

Interesting post that made me think that a lot of our problems both forward and back are down to our weak midfield and their age old sins. This is putting our defence under a lot more pressure and it's giving our forwards little chance to do anything. That is the area we should be really focussed on fixing up first IMO.
Cookie, in many ways it is. Our mids have not been known for some time as being particularly hard working and they also have the reputation of being one way players.
That is pretty unfair, but that is how they are perceived.
In the past we have been able to get over this by having Carrots, one of the hardest working players there is, take out their best mid, and by having Juddy really make a substantial difference in the way we get the ball out.
We haven't had these 2 guys in and at their best for some time now and it shows.
Murphy has had a lot on his shoulders, but he has been able to ganged up on, as opposition teams do not fear our other mids.

The other thing is the ruck: our ruckmen have not developed as we had hoped, around the ground or in the centre square. Ignoring Warnock for a moment, who has different problems, we lost Jacobs just when he was turning into a star. He directs the ball well. Hampson wasn't bad, but he got less taps and less ruck time than others. Kreuzer did not direct his taps well and has developed least of the 4 young rucks we had at that time.
Of our 2nd stringers, none of them really directs their taps to advantage.
Wood doesn't either.
Secondly, our mids lack that someone explosive who can not just get the ball but deliver it dangerously to forwards. Our opponents, especially the Hawthorn's and Geelongs of this world, do that very well. This is something we need to address more than anything else, as we just don't get a whole lot of value from our clearances.

Great summation Crash - therein lies the root causes of our predicament IMO. Obviously other areas need improvement but THIS^^ is where we should be starting.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #93
Secondly, our mids lack that someone explosive who can not just get the ball but deliver it dangerously to forwards. Our opponents, especially the Hawthorn's and Geelongs of this world, do that very well. This is something we need to address more than anything else, as we just don't get a whole lot of value from our clearances.

Not getting value from our clearances is true, when we do get a clearance we waste many, but the story is the same around the ground for us and the ruck situation is unrelated.

Our mids are not less explosive than the Dawks, the Dawks prime midfielders do not have great foot speed at all, their ball use, team work and decision making are their big strengths.

The two Dawks ruckmen are rated the in form ruckmen for the first three games this season, that is a reason why their midfield is going so well at the moment. Hale with little help from anybody else even touched up Sandilands on several levels!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #94
Does this mean Capuano is reason for the mess we find ourselves in?
Rucks can't tap to advantage?
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #95

I have been saying this for several years now.

The spectacular failure to develop the ruck stock we have is because we must have a dud ruck coach. When they leave our club and walk into the No.1 role at other clubs, that is a tell, you know we have a problem not the players.

Capuano must be Teflon to our MC and Admin!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #96

I have been saying this for several years now.

The spectacular failure to develop the ruck stock we have is because we must have a dud ruck coach. When they leave our club and walk into the No.1 role at other clubs, that is a tell, you know we have a problem not the players.

Capuano must be Teflon to our MC and Admin!

There's only one Mr Teflon LP ;)

Reply #98
This will be as crape a game of football as you are likely to see

Reply #99

I am not going to see it, I am over it!

If we win kicking 300 points, it would be as empty and valueless as a 100 point loss!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #100
We know what will happen here. Carlton will fire up from the criticism and simply murder Melbourne. It's what happens in the weeks after that will tell the tale.

Reply #101

I am not going to see it, I am over it!

If we win kicking 300 points, it would be as empty and valueless as a 100 point loss!

Just papering over the cracks again ::)

Reply #102
We know what will happen here. Carlton will fire up from the criticism and simply murder Melbourne. It's what happens in the weeks after that will tell the tale.

Jimbo, you've been way off lately please don't jinx us!! :P
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #103
I was already pissed off with AFL over the EFC affair, so much so I plan to go to way fewer AFL games in 2014 and I will concentrate on local football.

Further to this, until we convincingly defeat a quality full strength in form top four side I think I am going to give Carlton membership renewals a miss for here on.

I don't need it anyway, it is something I do voluntarily as I'm an MCG member. There are a whole bunch of my mates who make "membership donations" as such, and they are thinking along the same lines, some have already have pulled the membership pin this season! Most of us don't bother going to StEFCihad stadium for good reasons!

We are sick of seeing our dollars wasted, so the club will just have to get by with fewer dollars to waste!

I know this is sort of self defeating, but it is basically all the average member can do! Maybe then the board and club will get the message, even though they should have got it already given our clubs stalling membership numbers!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #104

Jimbo, you've been way off lately please don't jinx us!! :P

Have to agree with Jim...big win vs the Dee's and everything will be sweet again... top 4 here we come, put that rebuild on hold and lets sign Mick
for another 3 years he is a genius...