Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 18: Northern Blues vs Richmond (Read 16453 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 18: Northern Blues vs Richmond

Reply #15
Tiggers by 39. Going home. This is cr@p. More soon.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #16
The season cannot end quickly enough for the NBs. They have lost that spirit and cohesion. Not enough talent out there, even when most of the team is Carlton listed.
As others have said, another clean out is likely. Hopefully we can get some more talent on the Preston side of the equation. We have some triers, but not a lot else.
 5 goals for Everitt: he may not be getting huge numbers, but he is making something happen. Most unusual for him at this level. Now to get back into the seniors......
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #17
All over and the 2nd half has been a disaster. Beaten comprehensively by Richmond.

Northern Blues 13 - 3 - 81
Richmond 19 - 11 - 125

GOALS: Everitt 5, Cuningham, Gowers, Jaksch, L. Jones, Kerbatieh, Korcheck, Lamb, Totevski

DISPOSALS: Whiley 27, Tutt 26, Wilson 26, T. Jones 19, Jaksch 18, Cuningham 18.

Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #18
Getting that has hurt out premiership chances..lol

Reply #19
The season cannot end quickly enough for the NBs. They have lost that spirit and cohesion. Not enough talent out there, even when most of the team is Carlton listed.
As others have said, another clean out is likely. Hopefully we can get some more talent on the Preston side of the equation. We have some triers, but not a lot else.
 5 goals for Everitt: he may not be getting huge numbers, but he is making something happen. Most unusual for him at this level. Now to get back into the seniors......

As one of our previous coaches was so fond of saying, "You can't make strawberry jam out of cow crape!"  ::)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #20
All over and the 2nd half has been a disaster. Beaten comprehensively by Richmond.

Northern Blues 13 - 3 - 81
Richmond 19 - 11 - 125

GOALS: Everitt 5, Cuningham, Gowers, Jaksch, L. Jones, Kerbatieh, Korcheck, Lamb, Totevski

DISPOSALS: Whiley 27, Tutt 26, Wilson 26, T. Jones 19, Jaksch 18, Cuningham 18.

Whiley must be due a game next week..I'd rest Cripps and let the former have a few senior games before we move him on...

Reply #21

The basic question boils down to this.... "Is his downside more of a liability than his positives are an asset?
If the answer is "Yes"... then he's finished.
Don't play him.
But if we do play him....

If he can do one thing well it's kick goals.
Play him as a permanent full forward.

Yep- he has a problem with aspects of his game, problems that may not see him at the club much longer, but he's still our best goalkicker....and he'll take a good defender which will take a bit of pressure off others.

I know who I'd rather kicking for goal out of Jones, Jaksch, Casboult and Everitt.
I know who would get more chances for kicking at goal out of Jones Jaksch, Casboult and Everitt if he was played permanently forward.

Reply #22
The basic question boils down to this.... "Is his downside more of a liability than his positives are an asset?
If the answer is "Yes"... then he's finished.
Don't play him.
But if we do play him....

If he can do one thing well it's kick goals.
Play him as a permanent full forward.

Yep- he has a problem with aspects of his game, problems that may not see him at the club much longer, but he's still our best goalkicker....and he'll take a good defender which will take a bit of pressure off others.

I know who I'd rather kicking for goal out of Jones, Jaksch, Casboult and Everitt.
I know who would get more chances for kicking at goal out of Jones Jaksch, Casboult and Everitt if he was played permanently forward.

Everitt plays well when we have two key forwards taking away the defenders but when we don't he tends to be terrible. Played his best footy during the middle part of the year when we had two key forwards kicking goals. I personally think one of the other 3 would have more chance of marking it and getting a crack at goal.

Reply #23
Hardly a positive from this game made worse by the fact we played an ordinary side on our dung heap.

The mistakes, more specifically, the poor decisions made by our blokes today were breathtaking. The old Gardiner Stand almost collapsed under the collective groans at some of the horrible errors we made gifting an ordinary Tiggers outfit, goals.

No-one put in a performance that demanded senior consideration, even Everitt, Jones, Jaksch and Whiley - good reserves performances.

Losing McKay was a big blow, probably not so much for this game but more for the chance of him having a taste of senior footy before the year is out. He didn't join the boys in the qtr time huddle and jogged the boundary stretching his groins, particularly the left. Guess we'll know what it means early next week. He was a contributor in the first qtr but not imposing.

Jaksch had to do some hard running today and fair dinkum he runs as if he's got a small tree shoved up his clacker reaching all the way to the top of his head... and is too slow. However, he was quite handy in the first half down back with his marking; took some strong marks. And in the second half he kicked a ripper goal. Sorry, but, what were we thinking? Very hard to see him at PP next year.

What a paradox Everitt is. Clearly a class above most at times in this game but can't stick a tackle at this level either and he knows it. Saw him miss an easy tackle and curse himself... good sign that he cursed himself, bad sign that his defensive game is still so poor. But he worked hard and credit given where it is due, his offensive game is very good. Found space, got himself out on his own up forward, took some very good grabs, is a reliable kick for goal and his disposals by foot were effective. It's like 2/3rds of his game is very good but the other important 1/3 is a void and ultimately costs his team.

Gee Liam Jones did some good things today... great pack marks, crashing packs, chasing down blokes and then went missing for extended periods - career summary. I thought he was our best ahead of Everitt based on hard physicality at the contest which I personally value highly in our gladiatorial game. Everitt's lack of physicality is a terrible liability when the game is hard and in the balance. If we could merge these two somehow, we'd have a proper senior footballer. When we were in trouble Everitt could not be found.

(No Gorringe)

McKasker did some very good things today and we saw glimpses of excellent defensive work, BUT he does seem to have contracted Bellitis - charging off with the ball in hand oblivious to what is around him and getting caught. And this undoes some of his good work. Like to see him given strong coaching/direction next year.

Foster. Goodbye.

Wood. Goodbye.

I can't help but wonder what Billy Gowers would be like with senior footballers around him. He was a lone loud voice at times today urging on his team mates with genuine passion, in fact many times during this game he appeared to be just about the only NBs bloke who gave a fck. Yes he gave away dumb free kicks with his overly zealous attack on the footy and opponent but on more than one occasion he had two or three opponents hanging off him as he fought them and hardly a team mate coming to his aid. He kicked the goal of the day early in the game when dashing through the guts, bouncing and letting rip from just outside fifty and nailing it.

Hard to see Whiley being anything other than the 'almost' man. Busy, gets amongst it, hard, strong but just has no polish or, seemingly, understanding of our game. His stats, sadly, flatter his influence on the game. And that is the bottom line, he cannot seriously influence a game and as a midfielder, you gotta do that!

Jed Lamb started like a house on fire. Influential, impressive early and then just petered out.

I saw something from Cuningham which really concerned me, even caused a groan from CFC supporters around us. Later in the game, in the guts, contest at his feet and he avoided it; the hard physicality of diving in to advantage/represent his team. I really wanted to see today something from 'Cunners' which said -- senior football potential. His skills are apparent as he did some effective things today. Effective, not outstanding. And later in the game when the real heat was applied and we needed blokes to stand up and demand the game back on our terms, he was one who went missing. I'm worried.

Rainbow was impressive in patches today. He ran hard, tried hard and gave his best... but let us down (along with many of his mates) with poor decisions and disposal under pressure. I like that he is willing to be hard at the contest.

Clem Smith is another 'almost' kinda guy. There is palpable improvement in his game from earlier in the year. He did so much today that had terrific intention, excited the crowd with his endeavour but amounted to very little in terms of impact and hurt on the opposition. If he improved as much again next year as this year he'd be a real proposition, for a second tier competition.

Tutt got plenty of disposals but the hard reality is, that's all he can do. He does not hurt the opposition with his disposal/influence. Goodbye.

Korcheck. Sorry, I don't want to ruin the romance but, nuh.

Folks, I looked out over our group at one stage today and then commented to Mrs Baggers (god bless her coming with me which she let me know won't happen again this year), 'I really cannot see any more than 2-3 of these blokes being here next year.' And that is a huge worry...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #24
Thanks for your ever thoughtful comprehensive report Baggers (and to Mrs Baggers - must have the patience of a saint).

The positive out of these late games is that it sorts the 'have' from the 'have not' players. Sounds like we have a glut of the latter, which will make it easy for List Management to let those young fellas loose, knowing they've had their chances. I guess you'd expect further wholesale changes given the state of the 2015 list, 1 year into a re-build.

No doubt exasperating to watch  :-[
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #25
Hardly a positive from this game made worse by the fact we played an ordinary side on our dung heap.

The mistakes, more specifically, the poor decisions made by our blokes today were breathtaking. The old Gardiner Stand almost collapsed under the collective groans at some of the horrible errors we made gifting an ordinary Tiggers outfit, goals.

No-one put in a performance that demanded senior consideration, even Everitt, Jones, Jaksch and Whiley - good reserves performances.

Losing McKay was a big blow, probably not so much for this game but more for the chance of him having a taste of senior footy before the year is out. He didn't join the boys in the qtr time huddle and jogged the boundary stretching his groins, particularly the left. Guess we'll know what it means early next week. He was a contributor in the first qtr but not imposing.

Jaksch had to do some hard running today and fair dinkum he runs as if he's got a small tree shoved up his clacker reaching all the way to the top of his head... and is too slow. However, he was quite handy in the first half down back with his marking; took some strong marks. And in the second half he kicked a ripper goal. Sorry, but, what were we thinking? Very hard to see him at PP next year.

What a paradox Everitt is. Clearly a class above most at times in this game but can't stick a tackle at this level either and he knows it. Saw him miss an easy tackle and curse himself... good sign that he cursed himself, bad sign that his defensive game is still so poor. But he worked hard and credit given where it is due, his offensive game is very good. Found space, got himself out on his own up forward, took some very good grabs, is a reliable kick for goal and his disposals by foot were effective. It's like 2/3rds of his game is very good but the other important 1/3 is a void and ultimately costs his team.

Gee Liam Jones did some good things today... great pack marks, crashing packs, chasing down blokes and then went missing for extended periods - career summary. I thought he was our best ahead of Everitt based on hard physicality at the contest which I personally value highly in our gladiatorial game. Everitt's lack of physicality is a terrible liability when the game is hard and in the balance. If we could merge these two somehow, we'd have a proper senior footballer. When we were in trouble Everitt could not be found.

(No Gorringe)

McKasker did some very good things today and we saw glimpses of excellent defensive work, BUT he does seem to have contracted Bellitis - charging off with the ball in hand oblivious to what is around him and getting caught. And this undoes some of his good work. Like to see him given strong coaching/direction next year.

Foster. Goodbye.

Wood. Goodbye.

I can't help but wonder what Billy Gowers would be like with senior footballers around him. He was a lone loud voice at times today urging on his team mates with genuine passion, in fact many times during this game he appeared to be just about the only NBs bloke who gave a fck. Yes he gave away dumb free kicks with his overly zealous attack on the footy and opponent but on more than one occasion he had two or three opponents hanging off him as he fought them and hardly a team mate coming to his aid. He kicked the goal of the day early in the game when dashing through the guts, bouncing and letting rip from just outside fifty and nailing it.

Hard to see Whiley being anything other than the 'almost' man. Busy, gets amongst it, hard, strong but just has no polish or, seemingly, understanding of our game. His stats, sadly, flatter his influence on the game. And that is the bottom line, he cannot seriously influence a game and as a midfielder, you gotta do that!

Jed Lamb started like a house on fire. Influential, impressive early and then just petered out.

I saw something from Cuningham which really concerned me, even caused a groan from CFC supporters around us. Later in the game, in the guts, contest at his feet and he avoided it; the hard physicality of diving in to advantage/represent his team. I really wanted to see today something from 'Cunners' which said -- senior football potential. His skills are apparent as he did some effective things today. Effective, not outstanding. And later in the game when the real heat was applied and we needed blokes to stand up and demand the game back on our terms, he was one who went missing. I'm worried.

Rainbow was impressive in patches today. He ran hard, tried hard and gave his best... but let us down (along with many of his mates) with poor decisions and disposal under pressure. I like that he is willing to be hard at the contest.

Clem Smith is another 'almost' kinda guy. There is palpable improvement in his game from earlier in the year. He did so much today that had terrific intention, excited the crowd with his endeavour but amounted to very little in terms of impact and hurt on the opposition. If he improved as much again next year as this year he'd be a real proposition, for a second tier competition.

Tutt got plenty of disposals but the hard reality is, that's all he can do. He does not hurt the opposition with his disposal/influence. Goodbye.

Korcheck. Sorry, I don't want to ruin the romance but, nuh.

Folks, I looked out over our group at one stage today and then commented to Mrs Baggers (god bless her coming with me which she let me know won't happen again this year), 'I really cannot see any more than 2-3 of these blokes being here next year.' And that is a huge worry...
Thanks for the report, Baggers. Sorry you didn't have anything better to write about. But for the 2nd week in a row we gave up. Must frustrate a lot of people. I know what it means to me. I look for the future and all that is there is the mistakes of the past. :(

Did you see anything of Jake Bradley in the Development game?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #26
Like to see Gowers promoted and given a chance to show something at senior level....given he is playing with a banana plantation I can excuse mistakes if they are made with effort and pride in the jumper...he looks a player and we need some players who have a go and do the basics well...senior footy might teach him awareness and get some rough edges off him...

I think Cunningham was recruited for his outside work ie run and carry so I am prepared to cut him some slack especially as he has had no continuity to his season
and probably lacks some confidence...the knock on him was always going to be the physical aspect to his game as it is with DVR and IMO as it is with Blaine Boekhorst although I know others dont agree on the latter...you can probably carry one or two run and carry types who dont show much interest in the hard stuff but they have to be brilliant at their run and carry work to justify selection...

Reply #27
Peter Jackson VFL 2016
Northern Blues   6.0  10.1  11.1  13.3 (81)
Richmond    6.2  10.4  14.7  19.11 (125)

GOALS:
Northern Blues: Everitt 5 Jones 2 Jaksch  Gowers  Korcheck  Totevski  Kerbatieh  Lamb
Richmond : McBean 4 Lambert 3 Lennon 3 Butler  Darley  Cousins  Broad  Menadue  Elton  Aarts  Chol  Couch

BEST:
Northern Blues: [color=limegreen[Everitt Jones[/color] Wilson Whiley Jaksch Tutt
Richmond : Lambert Broad Elton Lennon McBean Ballard

Not much to get excited about looking at this. Richmond's best should be with us, but....
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #28
Peter Jackson VFL 2016
Northern Blues   6.0  10.1  11.1  13.3 (81)
Richmond    6.2  10.4  14.7  19.11 (125)

GOALS:
Northern Blues: Everitt 5 Jones 2 Jaksch  Gowers  Korcheck  Totevski  Kerbatieh  Lamb
Richmond : McBean 4 Lambert 3 Lennon 3 Butler  Darley  Cousins  Broad  Menadue  Elton  Aarts  Chol  Couch

BEST:
Northern Blues: [color=limegreen[Everitt Jones[/color] Wilson Whiley Jaksch Tutt
Richmond : Lambert Broad Elton Lennon McBean Ballard

Not much to get excited about looking at this. Richmond's best should be with us, but....

Lambert 3 goals and BOG?..... ;)

Reply #29
@Baggers

Thanks for the report Baggers (and to your wife for sitting through what sounded like quite an ordeal!). A very interesting but depressing insight into where we are currently on our rebuild journey.

We really don't sound as if we have much of a foundation in place on which to build our future so we still have a way to go in building something solid there. If we don't get that really sorted out then bringing in a few "stars" could well prove to be unproductive  a big potential waste. Sounds like we really need to establish an upgraded and even spread of talent across the board first! It's just not there atm.

Trading and drafting are doubtless going to be busy and fascinating times.
Reality always wins in the end.