Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 20; Carlton vs St Kilda: Post Game Profanity (Read 18559 times) previous topic - next topic

Rd 20; Carlton vs St Kilda: Post Game Profanity

Can't fail with this heading.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Rd 20; Carlton vs St Kilda: Post Game Profanity

Reply #1
Lots of calls for delistings but realistically you can only pick up 4 good players a year, 5 if all the stars align but that hasn't happened at Carlton since the year Sticks came over from Adelaide.
The players in the seniors today who aren't up to it are as good as we can put on the park, Charlie Curnow and Murphy will replace two of them and Byrne another one when and if he gets back from his knee, but there's no talent in the seconds to replace the other half dozen that need to be moved on.
Vojo and Clem Smith are almost certain to be delisted, Walks has retired and Jamison almost definitely will, that leaves another six or so maximum, and there's players like Lamb, Jones, Whiley, Tutt, Dick, Jaksch and Foster on our senior list who don't look capable of carving out an AFL career.
Most of the second raters who played in the seniors today will still be at Carlton next season, it's going to be a very slow process overhauling our list.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #2
Lots of calls for delistings but realistically you can only pick up 4 good players a year, 5 if all the stars align but that hasn't happened at Carlton since the year Sticks came over from Adelaide.
The players in the seniors today who aren't up to it are as good as we can put on the park, Charlie Curnow and Murphy will replace two of them and Byrne another one when and if he gets back from his knee, but there's no talent in the seconds to replace the other half dozen that need to be moved on.
Vojo and Clem Smith are almost certain to be delisted, Walks has retired and Jamison almost definitely will, that leaves another six or so maximum, and there's players like Lamb, Jones, Whiley, Tutt, Dick, Jaksch and Foster on our senior list who don't look capable of carving out an AFL career.
Most of the second raters who played in the seniors today will still be at Carlton next season, it's going to be a very slow process overhauling our list.

Then you have to see who's still contracted too. Lamb, Jones, Jaksch are still contracted. Most of the others may go being out of contract. Given we used pick 7 on Jaksch, or basically downggraded it to 19, i'd say at 21yo, still physically developing, we'd persist a little longer given he's had a good VFL year. Given our structure and inability to do anything up forward we did him a favour leaving him in the VFL rather than destroying his confidence in the seniors. Could end up playing in defence.

If you delist too many you can't replace them too quick otherwise you end up picking at pick 120 to fill the list.

Reply #3
If you delist too many you can't replace them too quick otherwise you end up picking at pick 120 to fill the list.

Or picking up rejects and fringe players who rarely measure up.
That's all I was saying really, most of the blokes who played in the seniors today will still be at the club next season.
The most glaring problem apart from our inability to score is our skill level, but it's not easy or quick to address, we've only got about half a dozen reliable kicks in the team.
Jaksch doesn't look like an AFL footballer to me and he's been in the system 4 years, he'll probably stay if he's contracted but I can't see him playing much senior football.
In an ideal world Casboult would be moved on as well, unless he's kicking multiple goals he's a liability but the cupboard is bare so he'll probably survive as well.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #4
Or picking up rejects and fringe players who rarely measure up.
That's all I was saying really, most of the blokes who played in the seniors today will still be at the club next season.
The most glaring problem apart from our inability to score is our skill level, but it's not easy or quick to address, we've only got about half a dozen reliable kicks in the team.

Yes, only get rid of a few at a time. Hopefully as you list improves though they end up playing NBs until they go.

Like I said, I think out team structure hurts our scoring. We went back to what failed the first 4 rounds, not what succeeded the next 7 weeks after that. We don't select a side to match our strengths. When we picked the right side we didn't have alot of trouble scoring.

Reply #5
SOS has the biggest job in town and we need some luck.

We are missing big quality around the wings and half forward flanks.

Other than Murphy, Byrne and Curnow to come into the team we need abit of luck with Cunningham and McKay

Other than that the list is too threadbare we need to move on seven players I think to build the depth on the list. Daisy has one more year to go on his contract and won't be going anywhere considering the money he is on.

Reply #6
Daisy has one more year to go on his contract and won't be going anywhere considering the money he is on.

Daisy wouldn't be going anywhere even if he wasn't contracted, he's averaging about 20 touches a game this season and at least can use the ball when he gets it.
He'll play out his career at Carlton, whether that's another two years, three years or more time will tell but he won't be getting paid what he is now in 2018.

Reply #7
Very very flat this week - just did not look motivated. Going through the motions late in the season I guess against a lively Saints outfit which showed better skills and greater interest. Hopefully we can spark up and play a lot better next week.  :(
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #8
Was Walker crying at the end because he was retiring or because he'd just played arguably his most ineffective, worst game of his career?

Btw - Dale Thomas, do the honourable thing and follow Walker's lead into retirement....please.

A lot of players played their worst games of the year.....some of those have enough credits in the bank to be excused.....others do not: Boekhorst, Buckley, Graham, Kreuzer, Phillips, Casboult, Thomas.

Does Weitering have a sore foot or something? Too many handballs, too often, when his most effective weapon is his leg.

Can any of us remember an opposition team taking THAT many marks inside their F50.......terrible, terrible, terrible.

Horrible use of the ball today, horrible accountability to their opponents (Sam Kerridge, you're excused), horrible decision-making, horrible intensity......just fcuking horrible all round. From the very first bounce, this game was simply horrible for us.......my least enjoyable day at the footy all year bar none.

HORRIBLE!!!
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #9
Never been a fan, has always been ordinary. Many posters were adamant it was MMs fault and that Graham would make it and be a gun. He is a VFL player at best. Should never play another game again.
And as far as giving fair well games, I've changed my mind as that was a complete fail and an embarrassment. Games should be earnt no matter what. I also hope Daisy does the honourable thing also and announces his retirement effective immediately.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #10
..... most of the blokes who played in the seniors today will still be at the club next season.

Yep
The major culling will come from those that can't make this side.
But I suspect, as you point out in a later post, there will be a few who played to-day who will spend most of their time playing for the NB's next year.

That was awful.
We didn't come to play today and that showed in the effort.
If we can hold up Sydney and Hawthorn players there's no excuse for letting St Kilda players waltz through and around us.

Reply #11
Yep
But I suspect, as you point out in a later post, there will be a few who played to-day who will spend most of their time playing for the NB's next year.

That was awful.
If we can hold up Sydney and Hawthorn players there's no excuse for letting St Kilda players waltz through and around us.
I was behind the goals at the Punt Rd end in P6. Perfect spot to watch the set ups, ball movement etc . Gee we made dumb decisions, all day from the first bounce. Utterly terrible today, worst game I have seen in a long time. StK looked like they had 3 more blokes on the ground.
As someone else said, 2E, Doc, Cripps and Simmo, then the length of the Flemmington straight to the next. And even those made some fundamental errors but can walk off the ground with there heads held high.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #12
Tutt, Whiley, Smith, DVR, Foster, Dick, Jones is seven changes already.

Gowers and Byrne promotion.. five picks in national draft not happening unless we trade out someone.

Reply #13
Yep

The only NB's player I think could make it, apart from a few first year players who need to be cut some slack, is Liam Sumner.
He has some pace and skill but he needs to improve by 40 or 50%, whether he can is another matter.
From the little VFL I've seen Vojo looks OK to me as well but the club has a different opinion of him than I do it seems.

That was awful.

We go much better is a tight, hard slog, if teams can break the game open our lack of pace and foot skills get exposed.

Reply #14
Never been a fan, has always been ordinary. Many posters were adamant it was MMs fault and that Graham would make it and be a gun. He is a VFL player at best. Should never play another game again.
And as far as giving fair well games, I've changed my mind as that was a complete fail and an embarrassment. Games should be earnt no matter what. I also hope Daisy does the honourable thing also and announces his retirement effective immediately.

I think Graham is done and dusted...too slow at this level and doesnt have the Sam Mitchell skill level to make up for it....

re: Thomas....agree with Brettie....gone as a player but with a year left will we are stuck with him.....did support Kerridge when Steven and another Sant were roughing him up but he isnt  giving us 750k's worth every week and is a bust...

Simon White...only target he will ever hit is at a night club and it wouldnt want to be moving....

Thought we won the hitouts but didnt seem to get much impact from it...

Kade Simpson....dont leave us mate, along with Cripps and Doherty you are the only thing between us and the bottom of the ladder....

Buckley and Boekhorst can join Graham and White in the out tray at seasons end.....