Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 21: Pre Game Speculations: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 20107 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 21: Pre Game Speculations: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #30
That is not the reality.

Casboult takes almost zero D50 marks, he is a great lead-up target but Phillips and Kreuzer easily eclipse him in terms of defensive marking, they both get in the right position to stand under the long ball and force opposition around the boundary.

Further, in terms of ruck work, losing the tap is just a small part of it, Kreuzer is infinitely better than Phillips or Casboult once the ball hits the deck. There is no comparison. Stupidly we tend to have Cripps and Kreuzer working together, yet they often just get in each others way! Cripps tends to works far better in combination with Phillips because Phillips' follow up work is so much weaker than Kreuzer's, there is no hesitation Cripps juts gets the ball.

Bolton knows the value of Kreuzer playing well, what we need is a genuine marking target besides Casboult inside F50. McKay is the best long term option besides Curnow and Cripps. If we go and recruit another one or two forwards what happens to McKay and Curnow, will we then have a list with too many forwards, it sounds like that too many rucks argument from a couple of years ago!

I'd argue our best results this season occur when we have Casboult in tandem with Jones inside F50 with Kreuzer and Phillips staying out of the F50 zone.

Our best 2016 football between Rnd 5 and Rnd 9 we had two marking forwards and two rucks playing, on one occasion we had two rucks and three marking forwards when C.Curnow played!

We play our best football with 2 key forwards and one ruck. Full stop.  There is no argument. Casboult, in that role, takes alot of marks around the wing as a get out in defence as well as taking a few in defence too. It was one of the few things that worked last year. Casboult was good around the ground and averaged 1.5 goals a game playing only half a season in the key position/ruck role, the first half as permanent 2nd ruck while Jones and Henderson held the key positions, while doing a good job around the ground and even at least decent in the ruck, and Everitt kicked 31 goals. Like I said, one of the few things that worked last year.

We had 2 rucks and 2 key forwards in rounds 5 and 6 only against Freo and Essendon. Get that right, Rucks were crap in round 5, Phillips did probably played his best game in round 6, Krezuer was crap. We were better, but very scrappy, looked like we could score though. Then Phillips did a hammy. Next round we used Kreuzer and Casboult. We know how brilliantly that worked. Kreuzer was good, Casboult 11 marks, 7 contested and kicked 3 goals, Round after that we used Kreuzer and Rowe after Casboult went down early. Kreuzer was hero playing terrifically with a knee injury with required minor surgery, and kicked the winner. Rowe was good and kicked an important goal. Then we brought in Gorringe, a forward/ruck and has spent time in the VFL even playing elsewhere, the wing even the last time he played. He's no great player but played a few good games and suited the structure. He had a great game against Geelong, Krezuer was brilliant, we won. Same against Brisbane the next week. Those weeks we looked we could score anytime we went  forward. Allowed Everitt play well those weeks. Then went crap against St.Kilda, Brought Phillips back to join Kreuzer and the whole thing has turned to crap like it was the first 4 rounds. Rucks were crap, Casboult, one out key forward couldn't get a kick (the no-nothings blamed him, not the structure), Everitt struggled, got dropped, and we've lost 8 games in a row.

I think that covers it for you. If you want to sacrifice that for a few extra tap outs then good luck to you. Scoreboard tells the story. Unless rucks are they at least half decent directing the ball in the ruck AND good around the ground then they are just filling space that someone else could use.

Anyway, I see we have picked Jones this week to partner Casboult.

Reply #31
Wrapped to see Jones get the nod ahead of Everitt, a win for attitude.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #32
Last look at Jones, or Everitt done & dusted , ? Next few weeks will be nervous weeks for a few of them . Jones deserves his chance , hope he can create some opportunities

Reply #33

This will be the biggest test rather than Casboult rucking. I don't doubt your theory, but I like Casboult as the leading CHF, target up on the wing and then gets back into the F50, where I agree he plays his best footy as a mobile player.

I don't think he necessarily has to RUCK to do that, but our best footy was played with Jones in the forward 50.

I agree also, 2 rucks don't work. We have been smashed by Goldstein, Hickey, Grundy, Lycett, Sinclair/Tippet and Mcevoy/Ceglar.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #34
Not sure Cuningham deserves a gig, would be interested to hear what VFL watchers think.

Reply #35
About bloody time.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #36
Not sure Cuningham deserves a gig, would be interested to hear what VFL watchers think.

Ridiculous negative attitude - no matter how rational you believe you are as a supporter

Of course he deserves he a gig and will be best on ground.

Reply #37
Carlton

B: Zach Tuohy, Simon White, Kade Simpson.
HB: Sam Docherty, Jacob Weitering, Lachie Plowman.
C: Dennis Armfield, Patrick Cripps, Blaine Boekhorst.
HF: Jack Silvagni, Liam Jones, Ed Curnow.
F: David Cuningham, Levi Casboult, Dylan Buckley.
Foll: Matthew Kreuzer, Bryce Gibbs, Sam Kerridge.
Int: Andrew Phillips, Matthew Wright, Dale Thomas, Sam Rowe.

Emg: Nick Graham, Andrejs Everitt, Kristian Jaksch.

In: Liam Jones, David Cuningham.

Out: Nick Graham (Omitted), Andrew Walker (Retired).

New: David Cuningham

I guess we are the favourites. Don't know if I like that, but I really do want to win it. Nice to see Jones in: he has deserved a go. Everitt can't be too far away: he is the emergency. But he will not be able to impress this weekend: the NBs have a bye.
A taste for Cuningham: not sure he is ready, but he has done better than Skittles.
Unfortunately the NBs have not been consistent enough. Too many guys who are not going to make it and are playing that way.

Brisbane Lions

B: Tom Cutler, Daniel Merrett, Darcy Gardiner.
HB: Michael Close, Harris Andrews, Sam Mayes.
C: Tom Rockliff, Ben Keays, Lewis Taylor.
HF: Pearce Hanley, Archie Smith, Eric Hipwood.
F: Ryan Lester, Josh Walker, Dayne Zorko.
Foll: Stefan Martin, Daniel Rich, Mitch Robinson.
Int: Ryan Bastinac, Jarrad Jansen, Rhys Mathieson, Matthew Hammelmann.

Emg: Josh Clayton, Liam Dawson, Jackson Paine.

In: Tom Cutler, Michael Close, Stefan Martin, Jarrad Jansen.

Out: Josh Schache (General Soreness), Liam Dawson (Omitted), Josh Green (Foot), Nick Robertson (Knee)

Mitch Robinson has been really good against us. Interesting to see how we handle him this time. I do NOT expect us to allow him to pick up someone like Gibbs. I expect us to hunt him.
Rockliff got 40+ possessions last time, even if they didn't hurt that much. Got to keep him down.
Stefan Martin usually plays well against us, but last time we had injuries and not much opposition after half time. Interesting to see how our rucks handle him.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #38

I guess it's a balancing act between 'deserve' and 'give him a taste/see what he's got at senior level'. I hope he does well.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #40
I guess it's a balancing act between 'deserve' and 'give him a taste/see what he's got at senior level'. I hope he does well.
Change is good. Anything would be an upgrade on Nick "The Iceberg" Graham.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #41

I too am glad to see  Jones in .
He's shown enough to get another go and will be with us in 2017.

Cuningham . . .Yep, give him some idea of what it's all about.

Pretty good selections I reckon.

I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #42
Jones and Cunningham are two good ins IMO...the latter may not deserve a game based on NB's from but its about development and learning in the deep end can often be the best way for some..

Reply #43

And we have two rucks! ;)

PS; Kreuzer out rated Phillips in every game, even the ones you think Kreuzer was crap in.

In Casboult's great ruck game, Gibbs had as many hitouts!

Your logic is just bizarre!

Your barrow is broken, find some other object to push pointlessly!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #44
And we have two rucks! ;)

Bloody Hell.  >:( >:( >:(

Jim will have a fit.  ;)
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.