Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 1 2022 Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 1278 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 1 2022 Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #15
I like the look of Trudgeon. Just seems like a smart young player. Was captain of Northern Knights last year. Good size for age - tough and clean

Reply #16
Defence outstanding
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #17
Solid Win
Carlton: 11 - 18 - 84
Brisbane: 5 - 12 - 42

Will Hayes: 33 possessions, 6 tackles & 6 clearances.
Paddy Dow: 32 possessions, 2 tackles & 6 clearances
Jack Newnes: 30 Possessions, 5 tackles, 3 clearances & 9 marks.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #18
I only saw the second half (and I guess that the commentators had learned the players' names by then) but there was a lot to like.

Paddy Dow was outstanding, as you'd expect from a bloke who has been close to a regular in the firsts.  Williamson was good, but he generally is.  Motlop is going to be a player, as is Mirkov; they both showed very promising signs.  Young was clearly the best defender on the ground but just needs to add some polish to his game.  Kemp had a difficult evening but I think that it could be classed as character-building; his best is a class above VFL-level.  Newnes must have done OK in the first half because he didn't do a lot in the second half.  Finally, Glass-McCasker, who I liked when he was a rookie, showed that he is better and more versatile than your average VFL tall.  Perhaps he'll get the last spot on our list.

You can see that the VFL side is trying to emulate Vossy's boys and they're not far off.  I think we're going to have a pretty good season in the VFL this year.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #19
Paddy Dow had plenty of the ball, kicked a great goal in the second, marked it 70m out, took of with a bounce and drilled it.  I think there is room for him in the firsts.

Will Hayes is a very useful VFL recruit.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #20
I like the look of Trudgeon. Just seems like a smart young player. Was captain of Northern Knights last year. Good size for age - tough and clean
There is a lot to like about the lad. He had a couple of games with the 2's last year, during the patch where we didn't have anything remotely like a tall, he was shown up a bit then for a lack of pace and a feel for the game at the higher level. I don't think he is quick now, but he has developed a much better feel for the pace of the game. I am glad for that.
By the way, he is the brother of Paige, our AFLW defender.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #21
By the way, he is the brother of Paige, our AFLW defender.
If he shows half the amount of growth his sister has had, he'll be a permanent figure in the 1's soon enough.

A family of late bloomers?

Reply #22
I only saw the second half (and I guess that the commentators had learned the players' names by then) but there was a lot to like.
I saw mostly first half action. I had to get dinner ready after that. Life goes on.

Paddy Dow was outstanding, as you'd expect from a bloke who has been close to a regular in the firsts.
He wasn't that great early, but as the game went on, he really got going. A couple of his highlights suggest he won't be far away from senior selection. My only concern is that he tends to be a guy who can only play midfield. With our present midfield, it would be very advantageous if he could fill in a forward role during the rotations. That is something he hasn't been able to do in the past.

Williamson was good, but he generally is. 
That little extra time makes all the difference. He doesn't panic and doesn't have to rush. I do note with interest that Vossy has been giving him roles other than half back. I think we are trying to make his game more adaptable. No good reason he shouldn't be able to play elsewhere. He could be a nice wingman with the weapons he has.

Motlop is going to be a player, as is Mirkov; they both showed very promising signs. 
Motlop did more last game. Statistically he was quieter this week. But you look at the way he plays and can see that he has the weapons to be a dangerous forward. 15 possessions, 4 tackles and 3 clearances!
I was interested to see the development in Mirkov. It was clearly a tactic of the Brisbane rucks to get close and personal against Mirkov, to make it a strength battle, rather than a jumping one. I guess they realized that he had them covered with that. After all, that is how Southport beat us last year in the first game of the season: their ruck had AFL experience and about 20 kg on Mirkov and dominated. But give him the run and jump, and Mirkov won every time. Clearly Mirkov has worked hard on that area: he managed to get his hand on the ball, 30 odd time to 16. Mirkov took a couple of marks and always looked for someone running past. He had 3 kicks and 11 handpasses, as well as 3 clearances. His taps were not a definite as they were when he gets a run and jump, but very few ended up as Brisbane balls.

Young was clearly the best defender on the ground but just needs to add some polish to his game. 
He started the game pretty poorly, dropping a sitter and then mucking up the ball and giving away a free. From there, though, he improved. He ended up with 10 marks and 21 disposals. You can see why we were interested. He may even get a call-up if Oscar doesn't recover for next week. At the moment, Oscar has the advantage: he may not be quick, but he reads the game reasonably well and he hasn't been overawed.

Kemp had a difficult evening but I think that it could be classed as character-building; his best is a class above VFL-level.
Kemp had a shocker. Worst game I've ever seen him play. The ball wouldn't stick in his hands. He had maybe 2 possessions up to close to 3/4 time. He was much better in the last quarter and a couple of minutes.

Newnes must have done OK in the first half because he didn't do a lot in the second half. 
First half he was brilliant. BOG be some margin. 30 possessions, 9 marks, 5 tackles and 3 clearances, most from the first half. He really made a statement early.

Finally, Glass-McCasker, who I liked when he was a rookie, showed that he is better and more versatile than your average VFL tall.  Perhaps he'll get the last spot on our list.
Not the worst idea we could have. 12 possessions and 10 hit outs. I'd like him to work on his strength, as that is an area he isn't as strong in.

You can see that the VFL side is trying to emulate Vossy's boys and they're not far off.  I think we're going to have a pretty good season in the VFL this year.
We are obviously transitioning slowly, but you could see what the lads were trying to do. A lot more work until we're a strong, slick team, but we lost last year to Southport in the corresponding game after leading all day. We didn't run out of puff so badly this year, and the smothering and tackling showed the improvement we've been looking for.

I liked Cottrell's game. He had 25 possessions and a couple of rolls. He could have had 4 goals and he took a couple of really important marks. I still think there is enough to work to keep him on our list, especially if he runs and carries like he did.

Will Hayes has been a major inclusion. His work, especially in the centre, was excellent. He ended up with 33 possessions, 6 clearances and 6 tackles.

Boyd was good in defence, very good early and very good late, a bit missing in the middle. His disposal was excellent and the guys knew to look for him running off his opponent.

I was impressed by young Hugh Hamilton. Before the game I knew nothing about him, but he put his body in nicely and did some good things.

Dom Akeui did a couple of nice things, but he is a fair way off the pace at the moment. In some ways, he was trying so hard that he got in the way. He needs to really work on his body positioning and strength work: he has the leap. Look for 2024, maybe.

Michael Lewis was OK, but he has some way before he could challenge for a spot on the list. Liked his tackling.

Ned Cahill was pretty quiet, considering. But he had a couple of very nice moments. He's going to have to do a lot more if he wants to impress enough for rookie spot.

I liked Cody Hirst's game, even though he only had 13 disposals.

Zavier Maher was also one I was looking out for. He has some jets and he kicked a ripper goal, but he's going to have to do more to be a realistic challenger for a rookie spot, should one open.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #23
If he shows half the amount of growth his sister has had, he'll be a permanent figure in the 1's soon enough.

A family of late bloomers?
Quite possibly. Paige was a fair way off last year, started slowly and grew hugely. If Joel can do the same, I'll be pretty happy.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #24
I really enjoyed the improved VFL coverage. It isn't perfect, by any stretch of the imagination, but it was better than what we've dealt with for ages and the website kept the stats up to date. I'm loving that!
Live Long and Prosper!