Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 2 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 3972 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 2 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #60
I heard one of the Blues from that era explaining how the "premiership quarter" originated. It was a radio interview and I can't even recall for sure who was being interviewed but I think it was Rhys-Jones. He was asked how it started and he said that the boys used to have a big night out on Friday night and were a bit dusty when they turned up for the game. That resulted in them being a bit lethargic in the 1st half. But after having a break at half-time, they were set to go in the 3rd quarter!
I understood it came earlier than Rhys. During the dreamteam days 79-82.
Probably you're right about the night before, but how I thought it worked was just do enough for the first half to stay level pegging then let loose in the 3rd, get the lead and then cruise to the win in the 4th.
I seem to remember (probably with rose coloured glasses) but we would seem to go harder in the 3rd.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #61
Indeed. I believe it came from the 1970 GF, when he came back from 44 points behind. The Channel 7 commentary team used it from that date.
How the players might have used the term ... well, that is probably Rhys's tale.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #62
First half is possibly some of the best footy I've seen us play in 5 years or more....and against the team that played off in last year's GF and tipped by a few to go all the way this year. We absolutely took them to the cleaners and dominated in the middle and with contested possession. At times our ball movement looked as slick as what the Dogs have become famous for.

Yes, we tapered off a bit after half time but we got the points....that's what matters. In years gone by we probably would've just stopped completely.

So many contributors across the field. Cripps/Walsh/Kennedy/Hewett of course....Pittonet dominated the ruck and gave us first use out of the middle so many times. Weitering/McGovern combination down back looked better again....and the Harry/Charlie combo worked a treat. Add in the usual Silvagni 100% effort and the pressure stuff in the forward line from Owies/Durdin.

At times it was hard to believe it was basically the same 22 out there as last year....apart from Hewett. Apart from that last quarter, our skills looked completely different to what we've been used to.

Not sure what was happening with Newman though...usually very good with ball in hand but 3 horrendous blunders in the space of about 5 minutes in the last quarter nearly cost us the game.

Reply #63
First half is possibly some of the best footy I've seen us play in 5 years or more....and against the team that played off in last year's GF and tipped by a few to go all the way this year. We absolutely took them to the cleaners and dominated in the middle and with contested possession. At times our ball movement looked as slick as what the Dogs have become famous for.

Yes, we tapered off a bit after half time but we got the points....that's what matters. In years gone by we probably would've just stopped completely.

So many contributors across the field. Cripps/Walsh/Kennedy/Hewett of course....Pittonet dominated the ruck and gave us first use out of the middle so many times. Weitering/McGovern combination down back looked better again....and the Harry/Charlie combo worked a treat. Add in the usual Silvagni 100% effort and the pressure stuff in the forward line from Owies/Durdin.

At times it was hard to believe it was basically the same 22 out there as last year....apart from Hewett. Apart from that last quarter, our skills looked completely different to what we've been used to.

Not sure what was happening with Newman though...usually very good with ball in hand but 3 horrendous blunders in the space of about 5 minutes in the last quarter nearly cost us the game.

I was impressed by how we controlled the game. Almost old fashioned tempo footy where we dominated in phases and then alternated with periods of controlling and frustrating the opposition. A bit like the Hawks and Sydney of a few years ago.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #64
Said the same thing to a mate during the game as we were texting while watching it. Showed a level of maturity I reckon that Voss has clearly stamped on the playing group already. Gone were the panic kicks or handballs to a stationery team mate just to get rid of the ball.

The Dogs play a fast brand of footy but we frustrated them at times by slowing the game right down and just winning possession back a bit.

Very early days indeed and injuries/COVID could derail things quickly but from the 2 practice games and the first 2 rounds, the difference between this year and last few years is chalk and cheese IMO.

And agree with another comment somewhere in one of these threads......listening to Ash Hansen speak after the game....very, very impressive and can see why the club went after him.

Reply #65
I understood it came earlier than Rhys. During the dreamteam days 79-82.
Probably you're right about the night before, but how I thought it worked was just do enough for the first half to stay level pegging then let loose in the 3rd, get the lead and then cruise to the win in the 4th.
I seem to remember (probably with rose coloured glasses) but we would seem to go harder in the 3rd.

I'm almost certain it was created in the David Parkin era of 81-82, I remember him referring to it in the aftermath of the 82 win against the Tigers (we kicked 5..4 to 0.6 in the 3rd that day, and it impressed one supporter so much she ran onto the ground naked!). 
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #66
Back in those days there are many reasons why players seemed to go up a gear after 1/2-time! :o

These days they'd be banned for life!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #67
I'm almost certain it was created in the David Parkin era of 81-82, I remember him referring to it in the aftermath of the 82 win against the Tigers (we kicked 5..4 to 0.6 in the 3rd that day, and it impressed one supporter so much she ran onto the ground naked!). 

Definitely right ... but it was later in '81 I think.  Saw us kick (IIRC) 10.2 to 1.1 in the 3rd at Princes Park in '82.  The girl was Helen D'amico

Reply #68
It looks like one of the coaches gave George Hewett 4 votes for the job he did on the Bont.  Fair enough in my opinion.  I guess that George provides an upgrade on Ed in that he can curb his opponent's influence, rack up possessions and use the ball well.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #69
It looks like one of the coaches gave George Hewett 4 votes for the job he did on the Bont.  Fair enough in my opinion.  I guess that George provides an upgrade on Ed in that he can curb his opponent's influence, rack up possessions and use the ball well.

Very good pick up by the club. I knew that he was an okay addition but his performances so far have been elite.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #70
Can't believe how composed this guy is in heavy traffic.  Might be something the Swans have perfected, which is probably why their midfield has been so good for so long.

Very glad he is now doing his stuff in Blue, and there might be a few on our list who could learn a lot from him about composure.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #71

I seem to recall it was a 'thing' when John Nicholls was the coach in the early 70's.