Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 - What do you expect from the club? (Read 45974 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 - What do you expect from the club?

Reply #61
Tigers weren't lucky, they finished half a game behind the Crows and Geelong but always had an edge about them that the top 2 sides didn't have.

I somewhat agree and disagree.

I think that all the teams that were vying for the flag copped some fairly serious injuries except the Tigers.  Danger and Selwood were both on one leg come the end of the season and against the good teams it showed.  Brodie Smith, turned out to be a big loss for the Crows whilst Eddie Betts and Rory Sloane both had appendicitis, and lets say no more about Jeremy Cameron going down for GWS.

Would it have been enough to win though is a question that is difficult to answer.

By contrast, the Tigers went in fit and firing and had no issues aside from an errant poke in the eye to Riewoldt at training a few weeks out from finals.

As always every team that triumphs requires a little bit of luck.  I think the Tigers were no luckier than any other premiership side in history but on grand final day when the game was in the balance that soft as butter free kick they got to come back into parity in the first quarter was a bit of a game changer.   The moons alligned and they won a flag.  Same happened for the Bulldogs a year earlier. Sometimes these things happen. Sometimes they don't.

We can't complain overly.  We went into a half time of a grand final 40 points down and won partly because of a tweak in game style, but partly to do with hubris from the other side.  By the time they responded we had pinched the win.

Thats football.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #62
I thought that 2018 showed, in general, a poor general standard of footy and the top teams all had major flaws. There was no complete, stand out side.   By this quirk the tigers were able to "pinch" a flag.  Seriously, would they have gotten with 10 goals of the Hawks or the Cats in their premiership years? 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #63
What happens in rd 6 is irrelevant. Do you remember rd 8 and 9 from 1995?

The Crows and Geelong really were no better than last year, just a few sides dropped off. The Tigers were getting better and better as the year went on and were playing the type of football that wins premierships.
Sadly I went to rd 8 that year in Sydney as I lived there at the time.

Reply #64
I thought that 2018 showed, in general, a poor general standard of footy and the top teams all had major flaws. There was no complete, stand out side.   By this quirk the tigers were able to "pinch" a flag.  Seriously, would they have gotten with 10 goals of the Hawks or the Cats in their premiership years?

Agree the talent pool has been stretched across 18 teams now and the talent doesn't quite cut it.

Hence why all our draftee's got games last season. No real depth.

Less talented players will get drafted and play games they would not have in the past.

Long time lurker few time poster !!

Reply #65

Agree the talent pool has been stretched across 18 teams now and the talent doesn't quite cut it.

Hence why all our draftee's got games last season. No real depth.

Less talented players will get drafted and play games they would not have in the past.

I don't buy the argument about limited talent pool.  The expansion of the AFL is well below Australian population growth, that population is more diverse and footballers are becoming more diverse, clubs routinely recruit from overseas, and participation rates are up; over 1.4M in 2016.  If anything, the talent pool is not being used to capacity.

Pathways to AFL may be limited but, once again, innovative clubs are sourcing players from outside of the sausage machine; other sports, state competitions, etc.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #66
What happens in rd 6 is irrelevant. Do you remember rd 8 and 9 from 1995?

Yeah, i think some carlton players made a lot of money those weeks.

Reply #68
:)
I think it might have had more to do with the fact that Kernahan and Williams didn't play either game ;)

I can't recall where i heard/read it, but it was very strongly suggested we tanked those games and our boys were betting on the opposition who both had very long odds at the time.

Reply #69
I can't recall where i heard/read it, but it was very strongly suggested we tanked those games and our boys were betting on the opposition who both had very long odds at the time.

I prefer my excuse :D
We were probably big favourites but...
If we were going to tank a game it wouldn't be wise to do it two weeks in a row and at a time when you were missing your two best players.
I remember Lockett had a bit of a day out in the Sydney game.

Reply #70
I prefer my excuse :D
We were probably big favourites but...
If we were going to tank a game it wouldn't be wise to do it two weeks in a row and at a time when you were missing your two best players.
I remember Lockett had a bit of a day out in the Sydney game.

Why not? Seems the perfect time to do it.

Odds would've been too short to do it a 3rd week... ;)

Reply #71
There was certainly talk about it ...from opposition supporters.
Stuff up or conspiracy theory.., go for the stuff up!
I'd prefer to think we didn't come ready to play...until I hear it from a Carlton player of the time.

Reply #72
There was certainly talk about it ...from opposition supporters.

For some reason i reckon i read it in a book.....by a carlton player....or maybe Big Jack.

Reply #73
For some reason i reckon i read it in a book.....by a carlton player....or maybe Big Jack.

See if you can track it down...but I wouldn't pay much attention to Elliott.
Engineering a result like that would take a whole heap of involvement across the team.

(It's not like they were short a quid :D)

Reply #74
See if you can track it down...but I wouldn't pay much attention to Elliott.
Engineering a result like that would take a whole heap of involvement across the team.

Not as much as you think.

A big night out on the town with a free feed and some drink cards could do the trick when paired with the absence of sticks and diesel.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson