Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 3 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 7719 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 3 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #60
Good win
Consistency solid
Cohesion building
Defence excellent
Goalkicking spread nicely
Gear shifting being refined
Attitude excellent
Pressure excellent and persistent
Hats off to tackling coaching
Poor b%gger Marchy
Weiters a true professional (love the aggro look)
New Blues Brothers looking smart
We can effectively host a newbie or two
Pressure for spots is there abouts
Vossy's a media class act

EDIT
McG has taken a battering, especially Lions / Roos. Hats off to associated staff
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #61
I've always felt that playing a rabble brings you down to their level somewhat, and a few dropped marks and missed kicks left me feeling that this was the case.

But....how bloody nice was it to finally go to a game and support a big strong side that simply brushes kids aside and kicks 20 goals in a business-like manner! It's been a loooooooong time since I went away from a game feeling like I did after this one.

Did what we had to do.

Reply #62

Pressure excellent and persistent
Hats off to tackling coaching - a BIG YES

The ability to stick tackles, rather than have opponents break through arm-tackles, has been noticeable.

Reply #63
The ability to stick tackles, rather than have opponents break through arm-tackles, has been noticeable.
They need to introduce a new stat - tackles with more than one tackler involved.  We seem to have mastered this art.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #64
They need to introduce a new stat - tackles with more than one tackler involved.  We seem to have mastered this art.

It's actually one of the things I look for these days.
When I see the multi-player tackles I know we're "on" in terms of pressure. ;D

Reply #65
I caught the end of Daniel Hoyne covering off our game on SEN tonight, he talked about whether our ball movement has improved enough for us to be able to contend further than a PF. From the small sample size he has seen it was a yes. I was also very surprised to hear that young Boyd is rankled the 7th best kicker in the comp after three games! Perhaps I'll ease off on him for a bit. Dawson (from Adelaide I think) is ranked 1.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #66
Good to see Harry getting the maximum coaches’ votes.  His form and its recognition by the coaches and most commentators is reward for the work that he put in over the off season, with Ash Hansen’s help.

It’s also vindication of Vossy’s decision to add ruck duties to Harry’s role.  His impact around the ground has been a major factor in our play and, if anything, has made Harry a more potent forward.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #67
And some praise for unsung heroes Cotters, Boydy, Georgie and Fog:

"Hoyne has praised hard running half-forward Matt Cottrell, George Hewett for his defensive work in the midfield, Jordan Boyd for his ball use and Lachie Fogarty, who is currently the number one player in the competition for tackles inside 50."

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/04/02/the-four-under-the-radar-carlton-players-deserving-of-praise-according-to/?fbclid=IwAR1C0JdRGLQ6Bx6sR6pY4ZM2_L0i3cF6XGxn-Yz0xMRGRBs61hT44Kol7qA
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #68

"Hoyne has praised hard running half-forward Matt Cottrell, George Hewett for his defensive work in the midfield, Jordan Boyd for his ball use and Lachie Fogarty, who is currently the number one player in the competition for tackles inside 50."

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/04/02/the-four-under-the-radar-carlton-players-deserving-of-praise-according-to/?fbclid=IwAR1C0JdRGLQ6Bx6sR6pY4ZM2_L0i3cF6XGxn-Yz0xMRGRBs61hT44Kol7qA
We don't need someone telling us how good and valuable George, Fog and Cotters are. We knew of George's class and Cotters workrate. however Fog in particular has reinvented himself and good on him. As I said, I was surprised at how highly Boyd was rated.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #69
WeI don't need someone telling us how good and valuable George, Fog and Cotters are. We knew of George's class and Cotters workrate. however Fog in particular has reinvented himself and good on him. As I said, I was surprised at how highly Boyd was rated.

Yet we still have supporters suggesting that one or more of that quartet aren't doing enough and should be replaced.  It's good to see a neutral observer confirming my impressions.

Reply #70
Yet we still have supporters suggesting that one or more of that quartet aren't doing enough and should be replaced.  It's good to see a neutral observer confirming my impressions.
Agreed, our brand of footy is one of being selfless, committed to the contest and one which is not overly reliant on one or two stars. It wasn't that long ago that we (certainly me) lamented "too much left to too few". Now its the complete opposite.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #71
Agreed, our brand of footy is one of being selfless, committed to the contest and one which is not overly reliant on one or two stars. It wasn't that long ago that we (certainly me) lamented "too much left to too few". Now its the complete opposite.

And I think that shows with the few starting to shine in different ways; Crippa is more of the icing on the cake than the baking dish, if that makes sense.  Rather than carrying his teammates, he is being carried along with his teammates and is getting more outside ball and more time to make his disposals count.  His 75% disposal efficiency is the highest he's managed.

Reply #72

They've all played important roles and shown improvements. I think most of us see their value but it's great to see them acknowledged more widely.
Their progress is a symptom of a club that has finally lined up many of it's ducks.

Waiting for the thing to turn and click has been painful. It's so invigorating to see the changes unfold and stick.

Our youngsters will be the next crop to show that supercharged progress. Carroll, Motlop (injuries permitting), Cowan to name a few. I'm keen to watch the real newbies development.

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.