Skip to main content
Topic: Round 9 Sydney v Carlton - Pre Game Thread (Read 53583 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 9 Sydney v Carlton - Pre Game Thread

Reply #75
He reminds me of Adam Bentick. Arrived on the scene and got 30+ touches. Dominated the VFL, was nothing more than average at AFL level due to limited athletic ability and upside.

Or he's the other side of the coin and is a Sam Mitchell type as I've also seen him described.

The best way to establish the truth is to give him an extended run in the senior side. I've no issue with him playing 6-8 weeks straight to give him a decent crack.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #76
The gloss will be on Dew if the Swans win the flag too, ditto for Bolton if the Hawks get up and Simon Lloyd from Freo
might get into the top candidates if the Dockers win the silverware...

I dont see the next coach who will probably come from the assistant pile being from anyhwhere but the successful clubs....

thats what robert walls said tonight

Reply #77
Under 50 tackles must be considered a complete fail. It really indicates the players hate playing for our club. A large tackle count will indicate the players were looking for a fresh start and want to still be at our club. Its all on the players now. Barker really isn't that much of a difference other than he is just a new face and a fresh start of something different and something new. This can make a huge change or it can be nothing more than the same cr@p all over again. Friday will be the story the media will jump on all over again. The media isn't finished with us just yet.

I reckon it's too soon to judge TBH Mants.

Often tackles are a function of the game style. If you are not set up properly (stoppages, broken play, marking contests) you may not be in a position to get hold of anyone.

Have you seen how easily the ball has been run out of our forwardline?

This becomes a real problem when you have a side with the handballing skills of the Swans. Three quick handballs and it ends up in the hands of some bloke running at 500 MPH away from the contest ad towards goal. We are still at the stoppage looking at each other.

I just want to see some signs of positivity.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #78
How delicious would it be if Barker didn't select Daisy?. >:D >:D >:D >:D
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #80
Should pick him as a sub then drop him to the NB's.

hehehehehe

Reply #81
cimm1979,

Our game plan is the least of our worries. We always wait for another player in our squad to lay a tackle. If and if we are closest to an opponent and have no choice but tackle we offer the one armed effort. We don't really attempt to hurt an opponent and smack them into the ground. Curnow did on Selwood, so it isn't something the entire side does poorly. Just 90% of the side. Melbourne have shown it can be done by all. GWS have also. Bulldogs in their first 4 games. We haven't really shown much in any game but against the Saints. One game. How sad is that. Expecting others to do the work on you behalf. Intensity and pressure is a self motivated attempt to win the ball at any cost. Something leaders do and followers envy. Unfortunately we have minimal leaders. True leaders.

Not being in a position to get hold of a player is being lazy and not following you direct opponent. Do this against Sydney and it will be a 20 goal loss at a minimum. Mark my words, and watch this space if this happens Friday. Not having a go at you, by the way buddy. Cheers. Just saying. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #82
cimm1979,

Our game plan is the least of our worries. We always wait for another player in our squad to lay a tackle. If and if we are closest to an opponent and have no choice but tackle we offer the one armed effort. We don't really attempt to hurt an opponent and smack them into the ground. Curnow did on Selwood, so it isn't something the entire side does poorly. Just 90% of the side. Melbourne have shown it can be done by all. GWS have also. Bulldogs in their first 4 games. We haven't really shown much in any game but against the Saints. One game. How sad is that. Expecting others to do the work on you behalf. Intensity and pressure is a self motivated attempt to win the ball at any cost. Something leaders do and followers envy. Unfortunately we have minimal leaders. True leaders.

Not being in a position to get hold of a player is being lazy and not following you direct opponent. Do this against Sydney and it will be a 20 goal loss at a minimum. Mark my words, and watch this space if this happens Friday. Not having a go at you, by the way buddy. Cheers. Just saying. ;)

That's part of the onfield culture problems, right there, that you are describing Mants. We seem to have been so preoccupied with structures etc. we've been overlooking the key foundations of the game. Getting that fixed would see a great improvement in our performance and is fundamental to our future.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #83
Will be interesting to see how we play on weekend. 

I wonder if Barker has different ideas on a game plan and wonder if we will see that on weekend.

Reply #84
Will be interesting to see how we play on weekend. 

I wonder if Barker has different ideas on a game plan and wonder if we will see that on weekend.

I think this is an excellent opportunity for Barker to prove all his critics (me included) wrong. I don't think anyone is expecting miracles but if he can return to basics, focus on improving one or two things then it will go a long way to improving his street cred

Reply #85
Maybe we'll get some focussed team selection, direction and coaching.  The events of the past days have convinced me that although we nominally had a coach, the motives and commitment of that individual to the cause were questionable.

I don't expect to win this week but I expect some intelligent team selections, blokes played where they should be played and some on field effort.  Its about regaining some respect now.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #86
Another Swan assistant in John Blakey will also be a keen observer, while he isnt in the favourites for the coaching job if the club are doing the job right he should be interviewed for the position...well regarded at the Swans and equally seen as a coach in waiting along with Dew..

Reply #87
Another Swan assistant in John Blakey will also be a keen observer, while he isnt in the favourites for the coaching job if the club are doing the job right he should be interviewed for the position...well regarded at the Swans and equally seen as a coach in waiting along with Dew..

Trigg stated yesterday that he will leave "no stone unturned" - let's hope he meant that.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #88
Touhy Jamison Jaksch
Simpson Rowe Docherty
Tutt  Cripps Yarran
Menzel Casboult Bell
Walker Henderson Buckley

Wood  Murphy Curnow

Graham  Whiley Thomas Everitt

Ok, clean slate guys, last clean slate, don't phuk up. Pressure's back on you now the coach is gone. Gibbs and Judd injured of course.

That's not too bad a line-up. Should not be on the bottom.

Reply #89

Mentioned him on AFL360 last night if they were looking for an Assistant with 10 years experience.

Please no Sumich!
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset