Skip to main content
Topic: Best 22 in 21 (Read 10170 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Best 22 in 21

Reply #75
Agree, I've no idea what Kennedy did wrong to fall out of favour, team rules?
There were rumours he was difficult to coach, and wasnt backward in telling people what he thought on a range of subjects especially religion and also had that unfortunate incident where he and Gary Ablett supported Israel Folau I think on social media when Folau had some over zealous ideas on some other members of the community and their lifestyles.
Seems well liked by the playing group though and has had a raw deal IMO..

Reply #76
There were rumours he was difficult to coach, and wasnt backward in telling people what he thought on a range of subjects especially religion and also had that unfortunate incident where he and Gary Ablett supported Israel Folau I think on social media when Folau had some over zealous ideas on some other members of the community and their lifestyles.
Seems well liked by the playing group though and has had a raw deal IMO..

I just got through talking about the Hoskings in the other thread, and one thing i was talking about was, specifically Jess Hoskings ability to be a good teammate, off the field. Set the example, be the role model and generally just be a nice girl to have on your list.

Kennedy would be the exact opposite IMO. Nothing about him as a player, just comes from a different way of looking at life....and one that could (unfairly??) ostracize him.

Its why Luke O'Sullivan was on the list for 10 years and only played 50 games. He was a great guy to have around and that earned him contracts over someone who didn't quite fit in.....ie Kennedy types.

You beat me to the punch with the 'tweetgate'. Its hard to recover from such things.

Reply #77
I just got through talking about the Hoskings in the other thread, and one thing i was talking about was, specifically Jess Hoskings ability to be a good teammate, off the field. Set the example, be the role model and generally just be a nice girl to have on your list.

Kennedy would be the exact opposite IMO. Nothing about him as a player, just comes from a different way of looking at life....and one that could (unfairly??) ostracize him.

Its why Luke O'Sullivan was on the list for 10 years and only played 50 games. He was a great guy to have around and that earned him contracts over someone who didn't quite fit in.....ie Kennedy types.

You beat me to the punch with the 'tweetgate'. Its hard to recover from such things.

Nick Graham was a bit like this.  Ellard before him too.

Mcgovern does some things sometimes that just make you go thats it.  That's why he's playing, thats why we paid for him, and hopefully we see more of it.

I can handle the inconsistencies more than I can the lack of ability.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #78
Nick Graham was a bit like this.  Ellard before him too.

Mcgovern does some things sometimes that just make you go thats it.  That's why he's playing, thats why we paid for him, and hopefully we see more of it.

I can handle the inconsistencies more than I can the lack of ability.

I guess that's where you and I differ Thry. The odd tease every now and then is unacceptable for me.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #79
Reminds me of the rep for a famous IT supplier years ago who was fond of saying to us " The next release is gonna be grrrreat!" 🤫
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #80
Ablett does it,  nothing to see here.   Kennedy dies it,  condemnation.   Double standards much?

Biggest BSfests of all time - big company IT projects - SAP,  crystal etc.  Always over budget,  late, and fail to deliver.  Best way to burn money.   "it's gonna be grrrrrreat".  "it'll be fixed in the next update".  Yeah...nah... Next.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #81
Agree, I've no idea what Kennedy did wrong to fall out of favour, team rules?

There is also the pay packet. McGovern cost us a lot versus Kennedy on a lot less coin. Perhaps there was a feeling that we have to persevere because we have invested so much already we just have to make it work. It would be seen as a failure for the club if we could not get something back on the investment.

It is a bit like top draft picks, they always get more opportunities than later picks because you feel you have paid so much for them. I wonder if a guy drafted at pick 83 gets anywhere near the same love as someone in the top 10.

Reply #82
McGovern was supposed to be playing alongside Charlie and Harry, how often has that happened? The other two have missed a lot of footy.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #83
McGovern was supposed to be playing alongside Charlie and Harry, how often has that happened? The other two have missed a lot of footy.
And will continue to.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #84
We need predictability and consistency with our players.

Guys like McKay, Charlie C and McGovern are so often injured it's quite ridiculous. De Koning has proven to be a bit injury prone also. Marchbank is another. We have been fortunate with Weitering though.

Reply #85
We need predictability and consistency with our players.

Guys like McKay, Charlie C and McGovern are so often injured it's quite ridiculous. De Koning has proven to be a bit injury prone also. Marchbank is another. We have been fortunate with Weitering though.
Marchbank is captain and multiple B&F winner of the injured players team, 48 games in 6 years (5,2,16,12,13,0).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #86
Marchbank is captain and multiple B&F winner of the injured players team, 48 games in 6 years (5,2,16,12,13,0).
McGovern over the last 4 seasons has averaged 13 games a season.....so you get a bit over half a season, and so far the bit we have got has been well short of satisfactory. Both he and Marchbank need plenty of games in the magoos to show they can stand up physically and deliver the standard of football expected on a consistent basis.
Jack Silvagni deserves first crack in that 3rd tall forward role and McGovern needs to win it back with form, fitness and not a free pass because he is on a truckload of money and it looks embarrassing for the club and his mate the coach if he plays reserves footy.

Reply #87
One of those seasons where Marchbank played double digit games, he really showed he can play, and was building up some good form. Shame about those injuries.

Reply #88
McGovern over the last 4 seasons has averaged 13 games a season.....so you get a bit over half a season, and so far the bit we have got has been well short of satisfactory. Both he and Marchbank need plenty of games in the magoos to show they can stand up physically and deliver the standard of football expected on a consistent basis.
Jack Silvagni deserves first crack in that 3rd tall forward role and McGovern needs to win it back with form, fitness and not a free pass because he is on a truckload of money and it looks embarrassing for the club and his mate the coach if he plays reserves footy.
While I like the sentiment of earning your spot, I can't see us entering a game without either McGovern and/or Casboult, especially while Harry remains so fragile. Perhaps that does of reality is why SOS was so reserved as a spectator.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #89
Like SPS, McMoney is on his last chance with me.