Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game 2021 AFL Rnd 1: Richmond vs Carlton. (Read 14186 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game 2021 AFL Rnd 1: Richmond vs Carlton.

Reply #30
  We have got on board some excellent new talent that can come into the team but we don't yet look like a settled, hardened professional outfit with the poise and consistency to win games on a regular basis and to avoid those lapses and fade outs that cost games and cause the heartbreaks. I know it's early days, we've only seen practice games.

Hopefully that changes early on in the real stuff and we don't eventually get demoralised by losing games we could have/should have won, as we have so often in past years. I'm excited by the new, but not very confident that we can yet beat such a hard professional outfit as the Tigers. We'll have to show a lot more poise and maturity, as well as talent and skills than we have so far imo. However, fingers crossed, and that's about as optimistic as I can be at the moment.
Perfectly said Cookie. 

People don’t really talk up how good a team that mob is. They have won 3 of the last 4 flags. Very hard having them to start every year off with in this era and when we are below our best personnel wise makes a tough task close to impossible.
But we can’t keep making excuses and this is our year to make a big move so I know we must take scalps but feel this one is too hard too soon.

I will be surprised if we get within 5 goals.

Reply #31
Can't see a win at all.  Might keep 'em to <20.  Basing all that on not being able to field our best team.   That team in any event does NOT include SPS
Careful Cap, the Bull Rider is a "protected species" among the faithful.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #32
Yep,  seems to have a free pass.  Not in my best 22 either. Over his lack of consistency or impact.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #33
Careful Cap, the Bull Rider is a "protected species" among the faithful.
Injuries will ensure he gets a game. Too many out and not enough left ahead of him.

Reply #34
Excuses been exhausted for too many of these blokes.  Time to produce or piss off
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #35
Excuses been exhausted for too many of these blokes.  Time to produce or piss off
time has passed IMO
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #36
It's a curious proposition to defeat Nthmond, they have formulated a game plane that requires opponents to give the ultimate sacrifice, it will almost be a pyrrhic victory to overcome them. Not many are willing to do what it takes, and Nthmond know it!

It reminds me of the days of Balme and Walls, that line that some would happily walk across.

Guys like Balta and Cotchin collect the toll, like surgeons that excise critical bits of an opponents infrastructure, nobody takes a piece back!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37
i'm hoping we get on our bike early and use the man on the mark rule to our advantage, and maybe have a nice handy lead at half time.  we can play quick and score pretty quick.  then try and find a way to stay in front at the end.

the problem is that the tigers are a bloody good team.  they might just smash us early and roll us all night long.  or if we get in front early they'll just claw their way back into it and get us at the end.

the only hope we have is that our boys are sick and tired of being beaten by this mob. there's something to be said for a team that decides to win no matter what.  no matter who you're playing, or how good they are.  this would be nice to see.

Reply #38
i'm hoping we get on our bike early and use the man on the mark rule to our advantage, and maybe have a nice handy lead at half time.  we can play quick and score pretty quick.  then try and find a way to stay in front at the end.

the problem is that the tigers are a bloody good team.  they might just smash us early and roll us all night long.  or if we get in front early they'll just claw their way back into it and get us at the end.

the only hope we have is that our boys are sick and tired of being beaten by this mob. there's something to be said for a team that decides to win no matter what.  no matter who you're playing, or how good they are.  this would be nice to see.
Usual script is a 5 goal to nothing quarter in the first half then we claw our way back slowly then Dusty kicks the key goal
which ends our run and thats the game.
So we cant have any one sided quarters and who ever is on Dusty has to get the job done and if that means double manning him when he is forward then do it. He cannot be allowed one on one with space to move.
Ditto down the other end, Tigers will probably double team Harry so the spare has to become a threat and no bombing the ball in as they are a strong marking defense and will just rebound it out via Short and Baker then get the overlap and easy score.
Easier said than done I know but I think we can beat them with careful planning and matchups, they usually bludge off our mistakes and kick easy goals from silly turnovers so that is an area we can control.
Nothing worse than winning the stats for clearances, contested/uncontested ball and losing the game because the opposition were more efficient hurting you via your own silly mistakes....thats us in the past and thats how the Tigers like to operate.

Reply #39
We'll be better this year' There wasn't alot to improve on to be a finalist. With everything else the same at least, stopping those opposition run-ons will do it on it's own. Not sure whether we win round 1 or not but if we can get a run on of 3-4 wins in a row early in the season it might be enough to give us belief. We've been down so long, so belief could be an issue but if we can get it then it will be huge.

Reply #40
Based on what I have seen:
FB Willo Weiters Plow
HB Doc Jones Saad
C Dow Cripp Setters
HF SOS Levi Martin
FF Murph H  Fish
R Pitto Walsh Ed
INT Fog Cunners  OMac Newnes
Emerg Stock SPS Eddie Kennedy
Concerns around Weiters, H obviously.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #41
FB Willo Weiters Plow
HB Doc Jones Saad
C Dow Cripp Setters
HF SOS Levi Martin
FF Murph H  Fish
R Pitto Walsh Ed

If Levi plays, Oscar doesn't.

Reckon Betts will play. Plays the G very well.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #42
FB Willo Weiters Plow
HB Doc Jones Saad
C Dow Cripp Setters
HF SOS Levi Martin
FF Murph H  Fish
R Pitto Walsh Ed

Looks pretty good GTC, though I don't think there's any way Cameo Cuningham gets a gig in front of SPS.

Personally, I'd probably give Kennedy the nod over Fogerty - Kennedy does kick goals when resting forward and brings a real hardness/mongrel to the midfield... I base this a lot on his form in the VFL game which was outstanding.

And Eddie for O'Mac. (if H and / or Weiters don't come up, then O'Mac comes in for one of those).

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #43
Looks pretty good GTC, though I don't think there's any way Cameo Cuningham gets a gig in front of SPS.

Personally, I'd probably give Kennedy the nod over Fogerty - Kennedy does kick goals when resting forward and brings a real hardness/mongrel to the midfield... I base this a lot on his form in the VFL game which was outstanding.

And Eddie for O'Mac. (if H and / or Weiters don't come up, then O'Mac comes in for one of those).

I had Kennedy in and inadvertently left Martin out. Agree I'd play Bam Bam ahead of Cameo. I am 110% over SPS, he has no place in the side IMHO.
@ Fly Im think Oscar is cover for rucks and defs.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #44
McDonald won’t play if Levi is fit.

Samo and Cuners will both be in the 22 and I don’t think Fogarty has done enough to earn a spot at this stage.

Eddie did some nice things (or typical Eddie plays) in the reserves but I don’t think you could risk playing him in round 1.

At least we’re getting some serious competition for places in the 22, even with Williams being robbed of his chance to play.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball