Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 18: Post Game Pandemonium: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 26376 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 18: Post Game Pandemonium: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #45
Last year we ran Sydney and Hawthorn to really close games then the next week we played Brisbane and got blown away in the first half. this year again we built up to really having a go at top sides, done well against them then played Brisbane and again got blown away in the first half. seemingly we are building ourselves up to play good sides then playing Brisbane is a letdown mentally. Seems that way as both years we we got blown away then woke up in the 3rd qtr. Have to be mentally better than that.

After the disaster against Brisbane last year we did come out and win the next week though. Hope things repeat, although we are playing Geelong this time, not Melbourne ( did beat them last year though).

Reply #46
Can't see us winning anything without Cripps.....and a far better collective attitude.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #47
Disappointing in the lack of backbone shown by our leaders. Did anyone try to take out Rockcliff? Did anyone put Zorko into the dirt? Mathieson has a head that is just asking to be ripped off, if he wants to duck then get him in a headlock and plow his head into the ground. Soft Soft Soft, how do you play Carlton, you pick on their leaders and no one will stand up.

It took Samo to stand up to Zorko and when Samo didn't flinch when the knob jockey came at him we started to walk that bit taller. We missed White, Alex Silvagni and Ed Curnow who wouldn't stand for that bullsh1t.

Why is Jack down back? We don't have enough good players forward who are smart to throw him back for education sake.

I hope what the jungle drums are saying about Casboult are right 4 years at 700K from Richmond which should net us a 2nd round compensation pick.

Why give a 50 against our player running around the back but laugh at our players when a Brisbane guy did the same thing. The umpiring was atrocious all game long, allowing Rockcliff to turn his back on the bounce and grab Gibbs at every ball up, do that to Dangerfield and there would be an outrage, saying how such a tactic is ruining the ball winners, yet Rockcliff is being lauded for sacrificing his game while giving away multiple unpaid frees. All you need is a drive by with an elbow to his ribs to free Gibbs up, Kerridge I'm looking at you.

If Zorko doesn't get reported for the punch on Plowman then pack up and give the game away. It shows the umpire looking directly at the punch and he didn't pay the free, Plowman wasn't acting, he couldn't breathe and his eyes were watering minutes after the punch.

Cunningham is going to be a player he's tough around the contest and hands are getting much better, if anyone thinks he's not doing well have a good look at yourself.

Harry showed that a key forward is only as good as his supply, how could the kid expect to do well in the VFL when hes getting zero quality ball. I hope he's played for the rest of the year, he definitely showed enough before running out of puff. He looks like a true CHF as he hits the wings and works his way back.

Samo, pure class and showed the "senior" players how to stand up to a sniper. This is a man who rode bulls, as if a little piss ant like Zorko would intimidate him.

Fisher, great pressure but he needs to do more with the ball.

Charlie, he gets it now. A gun in the making.

Weitering, put him at CHB and develop him  with the back line. I'm afraid we killed his second season playing him forward and chipping the ball around so he was starved of opportunity.

I thought that going after a Kelly would be the right thing to do this year but looking that I don't know. We need more grunt around the ball, cause without Cripps we're soft. However Kellys pace would be nice too.

A very poor effort in the first half which was the most disapointed I've been all year. I just pray that we practise forward craft this off season cause we have no real way of getting the ball in apart from the long bomb and when a team like Brisbane who has some good bigs down there tears us a new one we need a better thought out way forward.

Agree on Fisher.

Cunningham looks like he's going to be a top line player.

Harry was awesome. I was genuinely wondering how he could have been left out of the team this long. Seems beyond ridiculous.

We have psychological problems when we get the ball in the forward half. Butchered numerous simple chances when we had a clear break or a clear option up ahead that we wouldn't have missed anywhere else on the field. Skill level drops 80% once we have the ball forward of centre.

Reply #48
Think of a few weeks back and ask yourself at that time  -  How would we travel against any other team if we had NO CONTRIBUTION from Cripps and Gibbs for the first half of a game and virtually nothing for the second half?  The obvious answer was what occurred today.  We eventually showed some effort and there were even some highlights ....... but ...... >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Reply #49
When jockstrap Zorko dropped Samo, big Zac  came flying to his aid. The determination to right wrongs was written all over his face...  >:(
Reflects poorly on our leaders, but also funny in a cute way. Zac will be our bravest player going. Watch out when he puts on another 800 grams or so ;). I'm loving watching him, Samo, Charlie n co develop.

There were some great passages between the youngsters today. Williamson, SOJ, Cunningham, and big H were involved too. Good signs. For tomorrow, not today.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #50
When jockstrap Zorko dropped Samo, big Zac  came flying to his aid. The determination to right wrongs was written all over his face...  >:(
Reflects poorly on our leaders, but also funny in a cute way. Zac will be our bravest player going. Watch out when he puts on another 800 grams or so ;). I'm loving watching him, Samo, Charlie n co develop.

There were some great passages between the youngsters today. Williamson, SOJ, Cunningham, and big H were involved too. Good signs. For tomorrow, not today.

Nice post love navy and sums up our lot. I worry for bolts after performance s like today, we are all impatient and being played off the park int eh first half is not a good look at all. They looked to have the best players all over in the first half and we had no answers. They were left to run thru the middle unchecked.

Extremely disappointed.

I'm done with gibbs and Murphy. Fluffy. Enjoy watching Simon in his last year folks

Reply #51
Pains me when it's not the kids that are the problem.  Until recently I was pleased with the greatly improved and more consistent on field effort.... But today the club's so-called leaders like Gibbs and Thomas...FMD...that was unacceptable.

The overall softness was galling.  I'm over our blokes letting themselves get owned physically by muppets week in week out.

Yeah. Not like the subsequent suspensions benefit us any. Just the next team or two. Luckily, or should I say hopefully, Samo and the Plow come up after their mauling. And catch this, he probably got the 3 votes >:D
Henry Ford.

Reply #52
Nice post love navy and sums up our lot. I worry for bolts after performance s like today, we are all impatient and being played off the park int eh first half is not a good look at all. They looked to have the best players all over in the first half and we had no answers. They were left to run thru the middle unchecked.

Extremely disappointed.

I'm done with gibbs and Murphy. Fluffy. Enjoy watching Simon in his last year folks

Simpson has looked cooked for a few weeks. I was convinced we needed to retain Gibbs and Murphy. Young players need experience around them. But we are 16th and just got flogged by 18th. If we get a bump in the draft or get a good trade over the line then it may well be worthwhile having both on the table. Neither offer sufficient leadership. A quarter of today's game is understandable, but for over a half of football we were witches hats. The inability of senior players to sufficiently marshal the team shows just how weak we are.

Reply #53
What a bleak w/e for the CFC... seniors and seconds both shamed by the respective bottom sides... :-[
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #54
Just finished watching recorded game, that was a joke surely, they were taking the pi55 in the first half, seriously disappointed with that lack of effort, we are still miles off...oh and if I get a chance, I'd luv to belt Rhys Mathieson, he is a germ of the highest order, and the men in green continue to reward him for his parasitic diving...not someone I'd like in my team????????
Mathison is feckin cheat pure and simple. Umps are brain dead if they can't see it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #55
Brisbane's form is much better than ours as is their game plan.  Our game plan requires a huge amount of work and concentration, which is normally lacking for one quarter.  Today it was two, and at the start of the game.  There is a huge amount of wasted energy in chasing players like we had to in the first half.  It was ridiculously easy for BL.

It seems that a couple of teams are working out easy ways to play against us.

Not helping our cause is Cripps, Ed, A Silvagni/Rowe (not sure how it works with Rookies), Marchbank missing - they add skill and a bit more mongrel to the side (maybe White as well)

Supporters need to understand that after 200+ games that both Murphy and Gibbs are not going to go in and extract the ball consistently.

I turned off at half time, but saw we got back within 2 goals.  In the end we had the same number of scores.

We had a few with 150 games experience, a heap with under 30 and the in between ones we know aren't great.  Not going to win many games with that mix, either.

There is plenty to like with the young kids, so while it isn't great watching them at the moment, I don't really care about the result.

Reply #56
@ dodge
Good points.

I think Bolt's said we had 9 players, 20 and under in his pre-match interview.

Just the same, both sides have a young list and inexperienced coaches. We were beaten in both departments. The difference.... The leaders. No more, no less.
Henry Ford.

Reply #57
What was pleasing about that?

I think there are 2 players on our list that average more goals a game than Jack who averages (0.96 goals a game)

1. Levi Casboult (1.08 goals a game)
2. Matthew Wright (1.18 goals a game)

Jack is about as pure of a forward as we have on our list. Let him learn his craft there. He kicked 3 goals only 2 weeks ago.

You're entitled to your opinion, however wrong it may be.

Jack's football education was really ramped up today and that's what's going to make the difference to his career.  Bolton's decision (and presumably that of the rest of the MC) to play Jack in defence gave me more confidence that we're on the right track.  Yes, winning games is important but setting the team up to win more games in 2018 and 2019 is more important than beating another developing side this season.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #58
We were very poor today.   Bolton's coaching has to come under the microscope.  We left the corridor open, they flogged us through it.  No tag on Zorko.  Playing JSOS down back?  Are we tanking?  I don't get it.

Reply #59
Educating (Experimenting) rather than worrying about results?

The upside is a solid draft pick and a bit of experience for the youngsters.
The downside is a rather dismal end to the season for supporters, apart from minor glimpses of 'green shoots.'
Hopefully they get it right.
It's high risk stuff with a number of variables and no guarantees.