Skip to main content
Topic: RD 16 : Blues Smack Saints (Aftermatch Review) (Read 75344 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 16 : Blues Smack Saints (Aftermatch Review)

Reply #15
Uninspiring win against a hapless opponent.

Who normally pull our pants down and beat us up without much of a whimper in return (no matter who they put on the park).
Carrots, slower than escargot in garlic sauce !!

Reply #16
What did people think of the physical aggression in the first quarter ?? Thought it was a good sign but it didn't actually help us perform any better than what we normally do.

Reminded me a lot of Geelong in the GFs they played between 88 and 95. Lots of chest beating and huffing and puffing not a lot of players putting their head over the ball.

Reply #17
Where was Garlett tonight ?? Hardly saw him at all.

What did people think of the physical aggression in the first quarter ?? Thought it was a good sign but it didn't actually help us perform any better than what we normally do.

I got the feeling it was a bit "forced''. They may have been told to go out and show some aggression but it doesn't look natural for this group and it wasn't until they settled down and played football in the second quarter that they looked more comfortable.
I don't think the aggression unsettled the Saints one iota.

Reply #18
Henderson was just what we needed tonight. Rowe is a keeper if he can get his endurance working . Watson probably did more in the seniors than he does in the juniors. Simo well done, Judd same old magic, and Garlett getting more active along with Yarran. Much better efforts. Not pretty but better for certain. ;)

I just can't agree with you there Mantis, I reckon he is a stop-gap measure until a better option comes along. He plays the CHF position pretty well due to his years of experience in the role at Norwood but he has some limitations which will get exposed against the better teams.

I will say this though, he's a much better key forward option for us than Casboult purely on the back of his kicking for goal.

I'm afraid whether you agree with me or not, in a way you just did exactly that. When Waite is ready and with Henderson number one tall forward , we need Rowe as back up when the other two have injuries or suspensions. Even if we do find another gem, Rowe will be in front of Hampson, Casboult and any other forward options we have. Unless we release walker forward, but that leaves us short in defence. Rowe is close to the best behind Henderson and Waite.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #19
Henderson was just what we needed tonight. Rowe is a keeper if he can get his endurance working . Watson probably did more in the seniors than he does in the juniors. Simo well done, Judd same old magic, and Garlett getting more active along with Yarran. Much better efforts. Not pretty but better for certain. ;)

I just can't agree with you there Mantis, I reckon he is a stop-gap measure until a better option comes along. He plays the CHF position pretty well due to his years of experience in the role at Norwood but he has some limitations which will get exposed against the better teams.

I will say this though, he's a much better key forward option for us than Casboult purely on the back of his kicking for goal.

Wonder how Rowe would go at CHB once the tank develops. I'd like to go with the MM Pies way of having Waite, Henderson with Casboult doing a Leigh Brown type role. Like to see Menzel play too. Make our forward line more potent.

Reply #20
I'd be tempted to play Waite as CHB when he's available and use him as a swingman with Hendo. Let Hendo and Rowe settle in the forward line a while
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #21
Wonder how Rowe would go at CHB once the tank develops.

I thought we played him there earlier this year? Seemed comfortable enough in that position.

Reply #22
Don't underestimate that win.

It was very very important.

Well done Eddie Betts, I thought his clean ball use and composure was very important.

And well done Murph, every game he plays like this is great for us.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #23
I'd be tempted to play Waite as CHB when he's available and use him as a swingman with Hendo. Let Hendo and Rowe settle in the forward line a while

I still reckon Waite has played his best football at CHB.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #24

Good solid win, but our lack of pressure across the field and particularly when defending opposition kick-ins remains a concern. Rowe played well tonight and positioned well enough, but I'd prefer to invest the time into Levi who has far more upside. Levi could become a nightmare for opposition defences, whilst Rowe is only ever going to be a solid contributor at his best ( like tonight).

I was so pleased to see Robbo out and Watson in before the game - it really was fantastic watching Watson's composure in traffic tonight and he didn't look out of place.

Next week will be a lot tougher and we will need to up the tempo considerably if we are to be a chance against them next week.

Reply #25
Been a while since we've seen Judd pick up the team by the scruff of their collective necks and drag them across the line. Almost joined in the criticism that's been surfacing of late. Glad I bit my tongue.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #26

Waite was played in defense in the past (I prefer him there too as it should keep him focussed) yet a lot of people were convinced that he just doesn't play tight enough to hold down a role like that.

Put him up on a wing and let him run would be my best position for him.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #27

Waite was played in defense in the past (I prefer him there too as it should keep him focussed) yet a lot of people were convinced that he just doesn't play tight enough to hold down a role like that.

Put him up on a wing and let him run would be my best position for him.

Waite on the wing is a killing machine. Just need to find another forward and one decent defender to release him all over the ground. He is an absolute weapon we he can run his own space at will. I could never argue with Waite and where he can create damage.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #28
Fair play to Mick.

Brought Watson in and played Hendo Forward.

Have we found one in Henderson?
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #29
Hooray !

We beat the 16th team...... :)