Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn (Read 47032 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn

Reply #255
Again, late to the discussion so apologies for repeating earlier comments. But seriously frustrating to watch that yesterday. It's hard to believe the team that was out there in the 3rd quarter was the same team that had whipped Hawthorn in the first half. Was texting a mate during the game and neither of us could fathom why Curnow or someone else didn't go to O'Meara. He was the only one keeping them in the game and if he'd been reigned in rather than left to run around on his own, it might've been different. But that aside, the skills in the 3rd quarter were back to what they were last year...and we panicked....scrubby, panic kicks. Even Jones, who'd been superb in the first half, had a brain fade and fell over and gifted them a goal.

Is it just me or is Plowman just absolutely horrible at the moment? Lost count of how many times he turned it over yesterday and at one point in the 3rd quarter when we were running it out of defence he handballed to a bloke standing still with an opponent about to crunch him. I cringe whenever Dow or O'Brien get the footy as they look like a deer caught in the headlights.

The injury to Simpson and possibly Newman will probably save Plowman at selection but Williamson should come in this week along with Kennedy and hopefully Charlie.

Reply #256
How good is Marc Murphy? Wow!

We should petition the club for a bronze statue of him outside the club in lieu of his courageous and skillful contributions over the past decade or so. I'd also like a never ending video loop on a screen below the statue showing him at his best. You know, things like:

- Avoiding all contact when he is presented with any opposition player large or small in his vicinity
- Shanking his kicks and missing every target by either kicking it over their head or missing either side by at least 3-4 metres
- Scrubbing a shot for goal along the ground when the opportunity presents itself to a kick a goal to win the game
- Looping his kicks so they take an eternity to reach the intended target giving the opposition ample time to spoil
- And my personal favourite, why kick a drop punt for goal from 35 metres directly in front when you can do a right foot banana and kick it out on the full. Show boating like the champion he is! He never misses an opportunity to show the world what he's got in that endless bag of tricks of his.

Ahhhh, classic Marc! Skills galore and loves to showcase them to all and sundry every week.

Thanks Marc! You're a wonder!

I distinctly recall seeing one of Murph's clangers in defence, in the last qtr yesterday and thought to myself, 'I hope Spanner didn't see that!' You obviously did, and other mistakes. I like Murph, always have but too many mistakes yesterday from a leader and experienced player.

Your disdain for Murph is palpable (to state the bloomin' obvious!)... did he harm a pet of yours or... just kidding, jokin'  ;) ;)

Are you still in Canberra? Work is taking me there in a few weeks... love to catch up for a cuppa.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #257
Can't play two rucks unless they can both do something alot more than just tap.

So you are claiming Kreuzer and Casboult are just tap ruckmen? :o

The rest of us think it's the worst aspect of their game, and the least important!

Phillips is quite mobile, he's not a great tap ruckmen, he's more likely to push forwrad and score a goal than SpecialK but do we need rucks getting in McGovern, Charlie and McKay's way!

Phillips is less likely to float defensively than Lobbe, it's a weaker aspect of his game, but Lobbe is nowhere near as mobile. Let's face it none of them are supplemental mid-fielders like SpecialK.

In any case your assertion about two rucks is fundamentally wrong, the evidence doesn't support your claim. Even yesterday it wasn't until we lost SpecialK's influence and Casboult was left solo to the mercy of McEvoy that momentum changed. I'm glad of one thing, our coaches held their nerve and didn't give in to playing McKay in the ruck against McEvoy!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #258
Probably the last 10 or 15 minutes.

Kreuzer is listed as having 75% TOG.  That’s incredibly low for him.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #259

When I watch the replay I'll keep an eye out, but I suspect he started missing a bit of game time and most of the missing time came after 1/2 or 3/4 time.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #260
Hamstring problem for Kreuzer apparently, don't know how bad or when he did it. I thought he was our most important player in the first half. If he misses games we will really struggle I think

Reply #261

He was done half way through the last.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #262
Too much criticism of players and coaches for my liking. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone. It is a chaotic game. O'Meara had 9 turnovers for the game. If Murphy played that game some would be calling for him to be dropped/sacked etc. Yet we are criticising the coach for not tagging him? We need to take a deep breath, things are moving in the right direction, just have to be patient. I walked out of many games last year dreading that I would have to go again and watch us the following week. This year I'm looking forward to seeing what we can do next week. Big difference for me

Reply #263
When I watch the replay I'll keep an eye out, but I suspect he started missing a bit of game time and most of the missing time came after 1/2 or 3/4 time.

I was at the game. He went off half way through the final term because he couldn't run anymore.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #264
Hamstring problem for Kreuzer apparently, don't know how bad or when he did it. I thought he was our most important player in the first half. If he misses games we will really struggle I think
yep.  I reckon it happened in the second, and he tried to carry it and it wasnt until we needed to lift that he was taken out of the game.

This theme has happened far too often with kreuzer.  Hes a gun, but he has become the reason we win or his breaking down has become the reason we lose because we dont adjust well enough after he breaks down.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #265
All stats were even except free kicks which were 19-10 and forward 50 tackles which were 16-4.

The only one we can control has been a problem for a while.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #266
yep.  I reckon it happened in the second, and he tried to carry it and it wasnt until we needed to lift that he was taken out of the game.

This theme has happened far too often with kreuzer.  Hes a gun, but he has become the reason we win or his breaking down has become the reason we lose because we dont adjust well enough after he breaks down.

Agree...we need a younger ruckman who can go the distance...Kreuzer is great and while he is on we need to take advantage but 5-6 goals ahead isnt enough, we needed to be 10 goals ahead to have a decent buffer knowing he cant run out the game injured or not. McEvoy wasnt right either but the impact he had in the 3rd quarter was massive IMO...

Reply #267

Ahhhh, there it is. All makes sense now. Couldn't understand the drop-off after 1/2 time. He really was on fire and highlights how important to the team, alas I feel we never truly saw him reach his potential. hope he can get up against North. We need him.

Reply #268
A ruckman has to be a priority in this year's trade period. Both Kreuzer and Phillips are way too injury prone and unfortunately injury has plagued Kreuzer most of his career. Lobbe was only brought in as backup to those two. De Koning is a fair way off it and Casboult has always been a forward and backup ruckman and so far this year has done that job pretty well IMO.

Reply #269
A ruckman has to be a priority in this year's trade period. Both Kreuzer and Phillips are way too injury prone and unfortunately injury has plagued Kreuzer most of his career. Lobbe was only brought in as backup to those two. De Koning is a fair way off it and Casboult has always been a forward and backup ruckman and so far this year has done that job pretty well IMO.

Lobbe and Philips dont dominate games,They got plenty of tapouts vs Werribee but couldnt dominate the game vs a
29 year old no name ruckman from the ammos and a kid playing his 1st game.
DeKoning is a good colt but needs another two years to build the body up.