Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge- Round 1 Carlton v WCE (Read 58135 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Tonight

Reply #60
We lost with a bunch of kids, none of whom really did a lot statistically. Those who saw the game may have more idea of what really happened. However:
Carlton 2 - 4 - 5 - 47
Weagles 1 - 9 - 15 - 78
They could have kicked us into next week had they kicked straight.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #61
At any rate, I am very pleased in the pants with Jaksch

Reply #62
See how they just switched it Krudds.

Eagles always have the outlet man, our guys aren't aware of it.

Smith lined up Priddis, he just rode the bump... He'll
Learn

Yep, exactly.

They are simply playing smarter football, because they have smarter more experienced players.
We have a bunch of kids who are just trying to run out the game.

Bang on Kruds

so much negativity on the site you would think we lost round 1 by 100 points.
Had they kicked straight, it could have been 100 points.
However, it isn't Round #1 and Richmond are still there for the taking if we're up to it.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #63

Had they kicked straight, it could have been 100 points.
However, it isn't Round #1 and Richmond are still there for the taking if we're up to it.

Not really, Carlton applied a fair bit of pressure on their goal kickers.

We didn't get much forward delivery because most of our best mids weren't playing and had poor forward delivery.

Reply #64
Actually I think Graham has been OK.  Curnow been very good.  Wood a thousand times better than Warnock.

I thought Curnow was ordinary. Wasn't he tagging Priddis? I agree on Wood, though.

Reply #65
All things considered I don't think this result is anything to don sack cloth and ashes about. OK, if they'd have kicked straight, if they'd have done this, if they'd have done that - ya de ya da. I didn't see the game but fact is, a lot of our newbies got a taste and we weren't annihilated.

Not an end of the world scenario it would seem - looking forward to the next game.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #66
Good result all things considered. Jaksch clearly the standout in terms of our new recruits.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #67
We're pox

I'm microwaving my memberships...    8)

8)

Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #68
Its nice to see the kids play. I like looking fwd to see what positives are coming through. It makes it hard when the poor buggers have very little experience supporting them.
What was most disappointing was watching the game style we play . that's not too dissimilar to the crap we' be dished up the past 2 years ! Bombing long balls in hope rather than purpous ! Always chasing tail rather than taking the bull by the horns.
Don't see the point of playing all the kids together. Who are they supposed to learn from out there?
Our game style stinks and my fear is that by the time we finally realise it, we'll be too far behind the pack........again!!
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!

Reply #69
Easy to say "Meh NAB cup, nothing game, played kids", yeah thats true but, at some point, if we are going to improve, something needs to change. A spark needs to occur. I need a sign that tells me "we might go ok".  All I saw was more of the the same from last year. Yes KJ was composed, other than that, nothing stood out for me. I was left feeling uninspired. Oh well, plenty of good players to come back and an 800+ game coach. Lets see what happens in the next game.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #70
Some more statistical stuff:
Wood had 17 taps. Casboult had 8.
Lycett had 28 taps (more than both our rucks together), while Sinclair had 16.
Conclusion: We were pounded in the rucks.
I am not overly surprised. At AFL level this is Wood's worst area. Wood did have 11 possessions, a little down for him. Casboult had 10, with 4 marks, not what we want either. This suggests we have a LOT of work to get our ruck department right.
It also suggests that Lycett may be becoming the sort of player I thought he might. He is a player in the making.

Clearances:
Carlton 28  Weagles 34
Centre Breaks:
Carlton 8  Weagles 6
Conclusion:
Even though our rucks got beaten, our mids were not bad at the stoppages. This is promising, but shows we really need someone to get taps to our guys more often. It is also promising as none of our starting mids, except Curnow, a stopper, played.

Disposals:
Carlton 254  Weagles 355 (!!!)
Chief Disposal Getters:
Carlton: Tuohy 19 Bell 19 Curnow 18
Weagles: Gaff 27 Shepherd 24 Shuey 23 Priddis 23 Masten 21 Rosa 20
Conclusion: We did OK in contested ball, but we got outrun terribly. The uncontested possession count was massively in their favour. They ran by for the handball better - the sign of a more experienced team. We really have to improve in this area. One of the guys we recruited to do this, Viojo-Rainbow, managed 1 possession. Now he is only a kid in his first game and I am willing to give him time, but he was only our worst example. Simmo, one of our best in this regard got 12 possessions.

Forwards:
Carlton: Watson 2 possessions and 0 scores. Jones 5 possessions and 1 goal. Buckley 6 possessions and 0 scores. Casboult 10 possessions and 2 points. Smith 5 possessions and 0 scores. Tutt 7 possessions and 0 scores. I could go on.
Weagles: Josh Kennedy 14 possessions, 7 marks and 3 goals 1 point. LeCras 16 possessions and 2 goals 2 points. Again I could continue.
Conclusion:
[1] We weren't getting the ball forward very much.
[2] We weren't moving the ball forward very efficiently.
[3] We didn't make much of the few chances that did come our way. It would be difficult saying that any of our forwards looked like beating their opponents 1 out regularly.
[4] We have had a massive change to the personnel in our forward line. But have they actually improved it yet?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #71
Walker, Menzel, Murphy, Gibbs, Judd, Krueser, Henderson, Everitt, Thomas, Jamison, Carrazzo

Might find a spot for those 11.

We finished 13th last year with that lot.

I am looking forward to the young kids pushing for their spots.
We should play players on form, not on name.

Reply #72
The usual pre-season hit out with both sides trailing off at times. It got a bit intense late in the second, but not much to watch.  With so many better players out it was hardly surprising how the weagles dominated possession and the result seems about right.
Fair bit to like about Jaksch, and seems likely to play early on so Henderson can go forward for good.  Yarran did plenty of good things and Cripps and Graham were Ok. Bell just does some nice stuff and is a powerful player but his decision making and awareness are poor, so he gets caught trying to do too much.
The forward line, when it did get down there, struggled to keep the ball in, especially in the first half. Jones seemes to get stuck behind his man alot, and Watson hardly got near it.
Main issue as a few have mentioned was the repeated bombing of the ball long where it was easily cut off. Even in calm conditions this is dumb play.  Maybe many lacked the confidence to move the ball around, but it was probably a function of a disorganised midfield,  resulting in few options, hence the bombing.
This all being said, we had no injuries, in contrast to the weagles which lost Mckenzie with a knee.

Reply #73
Based on tonight's game there's a bit to look forward to with Clem Smith, Patrick Cripps & Kristian Jaksch, but very poor efforts from Liam Jones, Jason Tutt, Blaine Boekhurst and Matthew Dick. Matthew Watson was MIA and Tom Bell's decision making was relatively poor.

A 5 goal gale to one end didn't help.

Reply #74
A 5 goal gale to one end didn't help.
Ummm, both sides had that end twice each!
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time