Skip to main content
Topic: List Changes 2018 (Read 80473 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: List Changes 2018

Reply #90
Getting down to free spots isnt it?......Graham, Kerridge, Lamb and Rowe dont have contracts and have Byrne looking less likely than likely...
We need to take three in the ND and have to choose what we do with Ben Silvagni and the Hickmott boys.
I think Rowe will survive, 50/50 on Lamb and the other two are cactus IMO.....
Then we have pick 1 and late rubbish picks...reckon one for Ben S and one for a Hickmott with the other Hickmott boy rookied....

We are getting closer to clearing out the clutter.

Reply #91
Which brings me back to the question I asked before.

Are we interested in the Hickmott boys.??

There has been stuff-all publicity about them.

We'll find out on draft day.

Nothing needs to be done before about it before then.

The quieter things are in that regard the better. No publicity = slipping under the radar.

Reply #92
HS reporting we signed that basketballer Matt Owies as int rookie.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/carlton/carlton-sign-former-australian-junior-basketballer-matt-owies-as-category-b-rookie/news-story/9157ca0bbd7e3a66857757018c366032

CARLTON has signed a former Australian junior basketballer as an international rookie B selection.

Matt Owies, 21, was a standout junior footballer with St Kevin’s until deciding to pursue a basketball career that took him to the US.

He was also a competition best and fairest winner in the Yarra Junior Football League at under-14 level.
To be honest, I wasn't expecting another Cat B Rookie. However, I see this for what it is: a low risk/high reward strategy that gets us athletic talent onto the list without having to dump someone in the process.
Good luck to the lad. He will need it. We have a very poor record with our Cat B rookies. Our Irishmen seem to be always injured and none of the others has got close to senior selection.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #93
It has only been three days and already to need to do another update. And not for what I wanted either.

Update #8   15/10/2018
Senior List:
Plenty of trade rumours and some big deals still hanging in the breeze. SOS is probably happy he did so much last week.

2018 List:   40 players Present AFL Maximum

Confirmed Delistings:
[1]   Aaron Mullett – contract not renewed
[2]   Cam O’Shea – contract not renewed.
[3]    Matthew Wright - he retired during the week and is heading to Adelaide as an assistant coach.
[4]   Ciaran Byrne – if homesickness wasn’t enough, he went and broke a leg playing Gaelic Footy. He retired. What a disaster.

Confirmed Additions:
3 deals finalized, not a lot of picks left, but SOS is still wheeling and dealing.
[1]   Alex Fasolo:   Confirmed FA
[2]   Mitch McGovern:   Confirmed trade
[3]   Will Setterfield:   Trade confirmed late today.

With Shiel out of the equation, other deals may well be struck, as SOS is very good at that. Apparently we have been having talks with a number of guys: Finlayson, Barlow, Newman (Syd) to mention just a few. Whatever else SOS is up to, it is not clear to me.

Potential Delistings, Retirements or Out-trades:
[1]   Matthew Kreuzer – Can't see it happen at the moment. Geelong don't have anything we want.
[2]   Sam Kerridge – Looking to be on the rookie list as soon as this week.
[3]   Jarrod Garlett – No mention of Garlett. Nada.
[4]   Nick Graham – The most likely to be flicked at this point.
[5]   Levi Casboult – Levi’s name has now come up in trade talks, and we have been shopping him around. There has been some interest from GWS, Hawthorn and a couple of others, but a trade is not looking that likely.
[9]   Jed Lamb – Looks to be headed to the rookie list.
[10]   Tom Williamson - Looking like he is OK after all. I can hope

At this point we have 7 spots available on both lists, 4 certainties on the main list and 3 rookie picks. With 3 recruits coming in and 4 senior list layers gone, there are 1 spot available at this time without dropping anyone back to the rookie list. This suggests that Lamb, Kerridge and Graham are bound for the rookie list, if not off completely. That would provide us with 4 draft selections. It is one of the reasons why I expect more changes to our list to come. What I didn't expect is the Irish lads not coming back at all.

Potential Additions:
[1]   Ben Silvagni – Missed Premiership glory with a broken hand and has dropped much lower in calculations. I think Ben will be our last live pick, but that is much less likely now.
[2]   Will Hickmott - I am expected Will to be picked up, even with his less than stellar Carnival. He did testing in WA and absolutely blew it away.

I am still wondering what SOS has in mind, but there are 2 days of action remaining. If we are to have ANY picks in the ND, then there will be guys leaving or being placed on the rookie list.

Rookie List:
Rookie players are able to play senior footy pretty much straight away, and conditions continue to change. However, the rookie list will remain in 2019.

Confirmed Departures:
[1]   Matt Shaw – not offered a new contract
[2]   Jesse Glass-McCasker – not offered a new contract
[3]   Alex Silvagni – Retired. I haven't heard anything of his intentions for 2019 yet.

Confirmed Additions:
Nobody at this point. But Lamb, Kerridge and Graham are now almost certainties, unless traded out.

Possible further Departures:
[1]   Kym LeBois – Looking more probable as the trades go on. Possible delisting. To be honest, I am amazed he has survived this far.

Cat B Rookies:
Confirmed Departures:
[1]   Cillian McDaid
Retired and will not be returning from Ireland.

Confirmed Additions:
[1]   Matthew Owies – 21 year old former basketballer with excellent pace.

Potential Additions:
[1]   Liam Hickmott – looking a bit more likely as he won the B&F for Colts in WA.
[2]   Sam Fisher – I'd like to see Fisher get a go, but for a team on the bottom, we have remarkably few list changes in sight. How we go at getting trades will determine Fisher's fate.

Nothing mentioned in dispatches about any of these guys. I wonder of any of them will even get a chance?

Conclusions:
[1]   Our Irish Experiment has been a failure to date. I had great hopes for it, but we’ve had a terrible run. Other teams seem to be able to retain at least one of their Irishmen. Not us. The only one whose body stood up to the rigours of the game was Tuohy and we traded him to Geelong. Sheehan and Byrne looked good, but were far too fragile. Shields and McDaid gave it a year and got homesick. The O’hAilpins? I’m not going there. I had so much hope with those guys.
[2]   Our American Experiment has been a failure at the moment, with no more Americans on the horizon.

I was a fan of both of these ideas and was pleased with each one we tried. They all had something, but could not or would not make the final step. I guess we keep trying: we don’t have a lot of choice when others have succeeded. But things are looking grim.
   We now have a 2nd Australian Cat B rookie, Matt Owies. My expectations are low. I’ve been bitten too often to be otherwise. The poor lad is trying to break a shocking run.

There have been rumours about Eddie Betts heading back to us. I would love to have him back, but I just can’t see it.

Well, there are 2 days left for some magic to occur. My God I hope to see some.

Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #94
I'd lightly pencil in Nic Newman for the Nov 1 fee agency period start date..

Reply #95
I wouldn't discount Shiel entirely, just yet...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #97

Sleep with dogs you catch fleas.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #98

Essendon will pony up the picks....its just standard Dodo 101 trade policy to try and wait it out and get the other party to roll over...
All the clubs know how he works.....be pick 8 plus a future second rounder IMO...

Reply #99
Scratch that, if he wants to come to us, now, we'll discount his salary by 300k/year for the privilege.  >:D

Reply #101
Snowballs chance in hell IMO but never say never ay? Personally I'm with Krud in the F- - - him corner.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #103
Snowballs chance indeed GIC, but until the f.. lady sings....
Agree, but as Ol' Rexy used to say back in th day, "She's beginning to mount the rostrum". ;)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #104
Yep agreed.

I'd only take him heavily discounted now.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson