Skip to main content
Topic: JLT Game 2 (Read 45052 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT Game 2

Reply #30
Yep, it's starting to look that way EB. Today's game should be interesting against tough opposition.

That's well and good, and I was certainly very keen on getting Barlow, but looking at the Dogs, for example. Who are their  'big bodied' mids after the Bont?

They're more a mosquito fleet harking back to the days of Marcou, Ashman etc?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #31
Or is it more than our rucks simply aren't allowing our mids first use of the pill. Of no import how big you are if yuo can't win the pill. Ask Caleb D?

I do think we're a tad over fixated on body size folks. All other things being equal, great if you Cripp's size but things are seldom 'all other things being equal'?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #32
That's well and good, and I was certainly very keen on getting Barlow, but looking at the Dogs, for example. Who are their  'big bodied' mids after the Bont?

They're more a mosquito fleet harking back to the days of Marcou, Ashman etc?

We don't have, yet, players who play with anywhere near the intensity of the Dogs. Maybe that will come as our younger talent develops, we'll have to see. In the meantime some additional muscle inside would be of great help imo.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #33
Is it a lack of big bodies, or just a lack of players who can win their own ball. We were smashed in this aspect in the second half of last year, and it looked more of the same in JLT1

Reply #34
Is it a lack of big bodies, or just a lack of players who can win their own ball. We were smashed in this aspect in the second half of last year, and it looked more of the same in JLT1

Maybe a combination of both?

Reply #35
Perhaps best not to start a list of what we currently lack.....

Reply #36
I'm not sure of the 2017 group but there were a lot of quality bigger mids in the 2016 draft, a draft it would have been particularly useful in which to have had more picks.  Nichevo, you can't fix every part of the list in one year.  Surely it must be a priority going forwards?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #37

As Doc Neeson once said, "it's all in their head, the doctor said......" and they knew it was true.....

Our boys have collectively lacked hunger, on a consistent basis, for so long now......
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #38
Any one know is cripps is playing.

I think the extended squad has to be trimmed by 3.

Anyone know in northern blues if any of those named on the extended bench played?

Reply #39
As Doc Neeson once said, "it's all in their head, the doctor said......" and they knew it was true.....

Our boys have collectively lacked hunger, on a consistent basis, for so long now......

Yep, it's a strange affliction that seems to be triggered when a player walks in through the front door of Ikon Park!  ???

Let's hope we are more hungry in today's game.

Reply #40
It is absolutely a combination of both, and they are obviously inter-related. To be able to win your own ball consistently at AFL you need to have a decent size and strength about you to take the knocks and keep doing it for 4 quarters.

If you look at the WB they have 7 players in the top 100 for Contested Ball in 2016 - we had 3. We have Cripps [who is ranked 2 behind Josh K] and then we drop away to Curnow and Gibbs. The obvious point is we don't bat deep, and if Cripps gets injured we have a massive hole that we can't fill.

Dalhaus and Macrae and those types are not huge, but they are strong and seasoned now. Like many on here I thought we needed to add a Barlow or a DeBoer to our group to provide depth and coverage to this area of our game, but we went a different path. Last week we got absolutely smashed in this area, and we don't have the defensive pressure of say a Hawthorn to get the ball back once we lose a contest.

With the midfield we have in today we will probably get smashed again in this area.

Reply #41
Not sure where to put this so I'll put it here!

Went to the NBs game this morning. Few comments:

Firstly, NBs 10.13.73 def Sandy 8.14.62.

Of the NBs listed blokes liked: Sam Russell, Strachan, Luke Russell, Stevens, Pearce, Glover and McCabe. Who the hell is Angus Milham, the new ruckman... seemed about 20ft tall! Did alright too.

NBs seemed well organised and hard at it. Impressed. Led most of the day and a couple of late ones flattered Sandy.

JGM injured early. Sumner injured early also so not much to say about those two!

I thought the best of the 6 NBs listed players ( remember 2 out early injured!) were Sheehan, Jaksch (yes, he was working hard!!!!) and kicked a few goals and Le Bois. Gus was a rock in defense and his disposal skills were great - wrapped to see him get through and look good. Jaksch surprised but remember this is pre season and Sandy weren't great but credit given where it's due - he marked, competed and kicked well. Le Bois kicked another brilliant goal on the wrong angle for a left footer, he didn't figure a lot in the game but what he did was good and very encouraging.

Kerr? Let's just say there is an enormous amount of room for improvement!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #42
Not sure where to put this so I'll put it here!

Went to the NBs game this morning. Few comments:

Firstly, NBs 10.13.73 def Sandy 8.14.62.

Of the NBs listed blokes liked: Sam Russell, Strachan, Luke Russell, Stevens, Pearce, Glover and McCabe. Who the hell is Angus Milham, the new ruckman... seemed about 20ft tall! Did alright too.

NBs seemed well organised and hard at it. Impressed. Led most of the day and a couple of late ones flattered Sandy.

JGM injured early. Sumner injured early also so not much to say about those two!

I thought the best of the 6 NBs listed players ( remember 2 out early injured!) were Sheehan, Jaksch (yes, he was working hard!!!!) and kicked a few goals and Le Bois. Gus was a rock in defense and his disposal skills were great - wrapped to see him get through and look good. Jaksch surprised but remember this is pre season and Sandy weren't great but credit given where it's due - he marked, competed and kicked well. Le Bois kicked another brilliant goal on the wrong angle for a left footer, he didn't figure a lot in the game but what he did was good and very encouraging.

Kerr? Let's just say there is an enormous amount of room for improvement!
Great job - thanks for that.

Sumner and Jaksch [and Sheehan] must all be a fair way down the pecking order if they aren't getting a game today I would have thought?? Does anybody know if they have had interrupted preparations, or are they just on the outer at the moment??

Reply #43
Thanks Baggers - some green sprouts :)

Milham is from Essendon's VFL side and he is 210cm apparently.  No more undersized ruckmen in the NBs!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #44
Thanks Baggers - some green sprouts :)

Milham is from Essendon's VFL side and he is 210cm apparently.  No more undersized ruckmen in the NBs!

210 - f... me.

Big John Nicholls was 189cm!
Finals, then 4 in a row!