Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 16: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 30357 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 16: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #30
BB will hate this result, I reckon we had the top 5 or 6 players on the ground but still lost!

Agree...only winner I had for Melbourne was T. McDonald with his 4 goals.....Petracca did ok but only when Cripps went off.
Oliver had 29 possies but did nothing with them apart from sook and take on the fans for some verbal jousting....

Reply #31
He'll be fine, needs time to get up to AFL pace and use to AFL umpiring, AFL umpiring is so different from any other level of the game.

I'll  defer to those who are better judges than me, but I don't see what all of the hype is about Sheehan. :-[

Reply #32
Agree...only winner I had for Melbourne was T. McDonald with his 4 goals.....Petracca did ok but only when Cripps went off.
Oliver had 29 possies but did nothing with them apart from sook and take on the fans for some verbal jousting....

McDonald did well, but Weitering wasn't as bad as some have made out. McDonald took 5 marks and kicked 4 goals striaght which means he played well. But most AFL players wouldn't kick 4 straight from that set of opportunities.

We moved the ball really well for 3 out of 4 quarters of the game, but clearly our legs ran out!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #33
I'll  defer to those who are better judges than me, but I don't see what all of the hype is about Sheehan. :-[
When he is fully fit and in form:
- Has a good body for modern day footy, big strong quads and solid (but not too much) up top;
- Lefty who kicks very well, low and penetrating kick, better than 2E IMO.
- Has attitude (or abit of c- - -) and doesn't take a backward step.
He has a place in our side I reckon, questions are:
1. Can his body hold up and allow him to get a good run in the 1s?
2. Can he regain that early career form he displayed in the handful of games he played?
Also, can he and Bryre play in the same side or are they competing for the same spot ?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #34
Kruez was sensational again against one of the best - only down a handful of hit outs. Efficiency lower, but that could relate to Crippa going off. Just loving his game this year, so consistent and skilled. Showing why he was a No. 1. pick.

Our leaders were solid. Murphy, Gibbs, Simmo, Docherty all put in.
Casboult deserves to take a bow. Certainly played a hard running, sticky hands, 4q game ;D

Naturally some of the youngsters were patchy, but blind Freddy can see their growth. SOJ was great, playing with some real attitude. Samo, yes patchy, but how super was his goal. When he develops that consistency he'll cause plenty of headaches. Thought McCreadie improved as time went on.
Charlie - absolute stunner. RS nod or RS is RS ;)

The middle tier held their own. Kerridge. A couple of blues aside, has shown real improvement for mine. Seems to be able to find space more often. Lamb, Daisy both earned their spot. Plowman seems to developing as the season progresses, and Jones showed he belongs.

In the end both sides didn't have top 22 on the park. Our good passages were very good and we stayed in it despite being 2 down. Our seasoned players persevered and our babies shown glimpses of great footy. Save a few errors we'd have had this. If fully manned, we'd definitely have had the prize. Not to be today but showed how much we've progressed. Good effort new Blues.

I hope Crippa and White pull up OK.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #35
BB will hate this result, I reckon we had the top 5 or 6 players on the ground but still lost!

I agree, and admit I wear navy goggles (with pride)
 I know stats are stats, but we won:
- hard ball gets
- clearances
- i50 and i50 efficiency
- marking contest, including contested (smashed them actually)
- tackle count
Efficiency overall slightly down, but had 13 less rotations

I imagine some of this will please coaching staff.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #36

You know that was only his 6th game! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37
I agree, and admit I wear navy goggles (with pride)
 I know stats are stats, but we won:
- hard ball gets
- clearances
- i50 and i50 efficiency
- marking contest, including contested (smashed them actually)
- tackle count
Efficiency overall slightly down, but had 13 less rotations

I imagine some of this will please coaching staff.

Agree with all that...problem was our disposal efficiency, we gave away the ball too often, Gibbs was around 51%, Simpson 63%. Kerridge 66% and even Cripps when he played was only 44%, Cunningham 58%, Lamb 58%....

Reply #38
You know that was only his 6th game! :o

That's fine... All I am saying is that there is a lot of hype around him, and I am yet to understand why.
Even the post above from GITC, good kick and goes hard...  That doesn't justify hype for mine. But again,  there are a lot  better judges out there than me, just wondering why all the hype is all

Reply #40
I'm shat off....  Drove 400 km to get radio reception and we had an "honourable" loss.  I call bulldust.  Melbourne are rubbish, they were ripe for the taking.  I'll give them full marks for sheer effort but it wasn't good enough today.  Just what do we do we tradesmen like Kerridge the ball burner, or White, who seems to end every game injured.... Can't win with only cameos from the kids and I'll call the elephant in the room - I'm worried, really worried about Weitering.

As for Fussy, the VFL is the place to find form, not the seniors.

If Melbourne are a finals side the standard of the competition is poor. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #41
First time I really saw the effect of lack of rotations. Have no doubt if cripps was for we win that game. As soon as the ball found space in the last we couldn't go with them for pace. Cost us the game imo.

Charlie was very good and is developing much faster then expected but like a lot of our kids seems to tire in the 2nd half.

Sheehan got nervous and cost us with some silly turnovers which were critical in the result.

Kruezers work around the ground was awesome and has to be AA at this stage.

Lost so not happy,  but bigger picture is the club is showing a ton me of  heart and is definitely better then I thought they would be At 18 months into a full rebuild.

Add 2 decent midfielders, resign cas and keep Gibbs and very real chance of jumping up the ladder next year and finals are not out of reach in 2018 based on what I've seen.

Reply #42
crap that loss hurt - at the game, the Blues crowd was willing them over the line and you could see they were beyond totally spent!

Hate Lewis, dickhead

Reply #43
We are not a finals side but we are getting closer need to finish of this year strongly even if we lose performances like that are good - one or two more wins this year will be great for team/club confidence.

Melbourne had a lot of players out and if we are a genuine finals side we need similar type of depth. So need to go to the draft again and pick up loads of youngsters.

Reply #44
I'm shat off....  Drove 400 km to get radio reception and we had an "honourable" loss.  I call bulldust.  Melbourne are rubbish, they were ripe for the taking.  I'll give them full marks for sheer effort but it wasn't good enough today.  Just what do we do we tradesmen like Kerridge the ball burner, or White, who seems to end every game injured.... Can't win with only cameos from the kids and I'll call the elephant in the room - I'm worried, really worried about Weitering.

As for Fussy, the VFL is the place to find form, not the seniors.

If Melbourne are a finals side the standard of the competition is poor.

We're missing a few too then were left with only 2 on the bench, Did well in the end.

Looking at the stats the kids are now getting tired. Alot of potential there though.

I don't think i'd be worrying about Weitering too much. He'll be a gun for years.