Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 4: Carlton vs North Melbourne in Hobart (Read 32106 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 4: Carlton vs North Melbourne in Hobart

Reply #15
We have a big problem coming next weekend, Norp's on-ball division is considerably deeper and stronger than the Collingwood we played Friday night.

The only thing in our favour may be that Norp have a little less leg speed than the Pies, but then again in the wash-up it appears we are in the same boat, a slow boat!

Really?

North's midfield is bloody ordinary imo.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #16
We have a big problem coming next weekend, Norp's on-ball division is considerably deeper and stronger than the Collingwood we played Friday night.

The only thing in our favour may be that Norp have a little less leg speed than the Pies, but then again in the wash-up it appears we are in the same boat, a slow boat!

Therefore Graham and / or Kerridge could be in the mix.  Is Graham better or worse than the North No. 7or 8 midfield rotation??

Reply #17
Really?

North's midfield is bloody ordinary imo.

Opinion means squat!

Around stoppages or bounces they've managed to smash the Aints and squared with Melbourne in 2 of the first 3 rounds! They were smashed against GC just like we were for much the same reasons as us! But that doesn't make us equal, our kids are skinnies compared to Norps midfield crew and expect Scott to have the likes of Ziebell worded up to take full advantage of that.

Therefore Graham and / or Kerridge could be in the mix.  Is Graham better or worse than the North No. 7or 8 midfield rotation??

That may well make sense, but they just served up a 30 goal defeat, so I'm not sure where we go after that!

Usually, a result like that is a sign of some very bad sh1te going down behind the scenes, and for us it's happened in round one! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
Ziebell has form against us.   If he snipes any of our blokes he  must be dealt with.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #19
Ziebell has form against us.   If he snipes any of our blokes he  must be dealt with.

Who ProfE, who?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
Who ProfE, who?
Crippa has played alot angrier this year, he has been the first to get right in the grill of those who snipe/bump/punch etc. our blokes.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #21
Crippa has played alot angrier this year, he has been the first to get right in the grill of those who snipe/bump/punch etc. our blokes.

We lose something when he's doing the role of the angry defender, at other clubs it would be a mongrel tagger type doing this stuff, but other than Lamb we don't have a defensive style angry forward or midfielder who seems capable.

I think we are really missing the spirit shown last season by the likes of Williamson and Macreadie, fancy that, combined with an geriatric like ACoS some kids come in the team and set the tone!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22

Agree, I dont mind it but he needs to get a bit smarter and learn how to give it but not give away free kicks...he gets a bit of treatment at the stoppages and also at marking contests and i reckon he has had enough of the manhandling with no free kicks awarded...

Reply #23
Doggies look like putting down the Drug cheats.
That probably puts us on the bottom rung.
I hope that generates some motivation for the trip across the Tasman :-\
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #24
Brother Elwood,  we have been deadset raped by the umpiring this season: watched the tape vs the filth and our blokes are getting frustrated, and I can see why.   Some peanut jumps two seconds early and Jones  gets done for tunnelling,  yet our blokes get taken out under the ball at every contest.....  Side bottom gets tackled,  throws it away with impunity,  we get held for one microsecond and we get done... Surely our luck has to turn in this area,  it can't be this bad all season,  surely?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #25
Brother Elwood,  we have been deadset raped by the umpiring this season: watched the tape vs the filth and our blokes are getting frustrated, and I can see why.   Some peanut jumps two seconds early and Jones  gets done for tunnelling,  yet our blokes get taken out under the ball at every contest.....  Side bottom gets tackled,  throws it away with impunity,  we get held for one microsecond and we get done... Surely our luck has to turn in this area,  it can't be this bad all season,  surely?

Is there any team you support that isn't raped, stooged, robbed, ripped off, or otherwise treated unfairly ? Carlton, Australian Cricket team, Vic cricket team.........

Reply #26

Its the same in most sports Prof...bottom teams get nothing from the umps unless its the obvious free and opposing star players get looked after ie Sidebottom....he drops the ball and its seen as knocked out of his hands, Polson does same and its holding the ball/incorrect disposal...
Jones seems to highlight his errors by looking ungainly, its easy to pay frees against him for that reason....other players are more subtle...Ben Brown gets a lot of frees his way from what I have seen and that worries me the way Jones is playing and I think he needs to reign in his attacking nature and be a bit more circumspect how he goes about defending.
The frees will even themselves out but as you and I know well its when and where you get them.....when we got all those 50m penalties vs Richmond for encroaching the mark I said to myself this wont last and we will pay for it next game or the one after....

Reply #27
Conspiracy theory time.

The AFL will ensure we beat north.

Too many losses and a young team is bad for business both now and in the future.

Combined with Bolton coaching "at home" and North being ordinary enough and the fact that our uncompetitive period coincided with a quarter of " free kick Collingwood " and I reckon we aren't as bad as advertised.

All that being said,  a mate of mine got some VIP tickets into the rooms after the Tigers game.  Reckons that there is some internal grief in the playing group.  We are certainly displaying those signs currently.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #28
Conspiracy theory time.

Too many losses and a young team is bad for business both now and in the future.

Combined with Bolton coaching "at home" and North being ordinary enough and the fact that our uncompetitive period coincided with a quarter of " free kick Collingwood " and I reckon we aren't as bad as advertised.

All that being said,  a mate of mine got some VIP tickets into the rooms after the Tigers game.  Reckons that there is some internal grief in the playing group.  We are certainly displaying those signs currently.

Interesting Thry. I have a sneaking suspicion all is not 100% well.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #29
Conspiracy theory time.

All that being said,  a mate of mine got some VIP tickets into the rooms after the Tigers game. Reckons that there is some internal grief in the playing group.  We are certainly displaying those signs currently.

I'll play devils advocate here. If there wasn't some anger amongst eachother after the game, then they don't have the hunger to play AFL football. If they were 'okay' with losing, i'd be more worried.

Sure, its not ideal that their might be some in-fighting, but there was some in-fighting at Geelong when Gary Ablett Jnr was first there. The playing group told him to pull his finger out....the rest is history.