Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 4: Carlton vs North Melbourne in Hobart (Read 32217 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 4: Carlton vs North Melbourne in Hobart

Reply #60
I will give usone more chance vs Nth and say we can win but only on the basis that players like Cripps, Simpson, Kruezer, Wright etc will lift and drag us over the line and because Nth are equally as flakey as we are .

Agreed, but prior to Friday night many thought much the same about the Filth.

Norp have flogged a couple of higher rated mid-fields that are built like brick craphouses compared to our lot of skinnies!

They are their pudding face coach will be out to make a statement about being on prime time coverage and I expect them to be more motivated than the filth not less.

We look like a team that is ripe for the kicking provided you don't get ahead of yourself!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #61
Agreed, but prior to Friday night many thought much the same about the Filth.

Norp have flogged a couple of higher rated mid-fields that are built like brick craphouses compared to our lot of skinnies!

They are their pudding face coach will be out to make a statement about being on prime time coverage and I expect them to be more motivated than the filth not less.

We look like a team that is ripe for the kicking provided you don't get ahead of yourself!

North are not as aggressive or in your face as many other teams....I think Kruezer will find Goldstein more to his liking than the mobile Grundy and Cripps wont have quality like Pendlebury breathing down his neck at the clearances. Dow can face off vs LDU and I think Kennedy and Curnow can do the job on Ziebell and Higgins...
More of an even game IMO and I think Cripps will have a big afternoon...

Reply #62
North are not as aggressive or in your face as many other teams....I think Kruezer will find Goldstein more to his liking than the mobile Grundy and Cripps wont have quality like Pendlebury breathing down his neck at the clearances. Dow can face off vs LDU and I think Kennedy and Curnow can do the job on Ziebell and Higgins...
More of an even game IMO and I think Cripps will have a big afternoon...

Well, for those not going we get to watch it all on prime time Sat night down to the wire, either that or it'll be early to bed for a change! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #63
It's a perspective thing...

My position has always been that the "rebuild" tag was used to buy time for a club in crisis.
The folks in charge basically said "this is day one!"....so we now get extra time....even though we were already coming off a fairly low base.
So while I've been quite patient and prepared to look for positive signs I'm struggling to be convinced

"The 66 game rebuild" ...does anyone have a direct quote from anyone saying that's the timeline?
If that is indeed the case then 2/3 into it we should be seeing signs of improvement....it's looking doubtful we'll see a lot in the next 20 odd games.
So after 66 we'll have had minimal progress.
Maybe after a 132 things will be different...but there's no guarantees.

There is some conjecture as to the exact number. Some reports I have read state it was an internal memo from SOS that leaked out. Others say Trigg announced it at a GM. My personal opinion is that the 66 figure is a guide only. SOS wanted 3 drafts and has made an entire AFL list worth of changes. Some teething problems are bound to occur while the troops get games together and whilst the youngsters grow and mature.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-draft-2017-carlton-completes-phase-one-of-list-rebuild-following-third-draft-under-stephen-silvagni/news-story/61d615347d55501a007266820d6e510e

There'a also a HS article which I can't access from June 30th 2015 by Jon Anderson (interview with SOS), which also gives some insights.

Reply #64
For those saying that we've been through this before my answer is that we haven't.
This is a ground up rebuild, not the short term, knee jerk garbage that we've fallen for in the past.
We need to build a core because due to our hopeless recruiting and list management in the past decade we don't have one, it will take more than two or three years and there will be some bad results and rough patches along the way.
It not long ago that we traded out Kennedy and pick 3 for Judd, traded pick 21 for Warnock and pick 7 for Jaksch, we've finally realised that those types of decisions only led us up a dry gully but we're paying the price for them now and there's no quick fix.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #65
For those saying that we've been through this before my answer is that we haven't.
This is a ground up rebuild, not the short term, knee jerk garbage that we've fallen for in the past.
We need to build a core because due to our hopeless recruiting and list management in the past decade we don't have one, it will take more than two or three years and there will be some bad results and rough patches along the way.
It not long ago that we traded out Kennedy and pick 3 for Judd, traded pick 21 for Warnock and pick 7 for Jaksch, we've finally realised that those types of decisions only led us up a dry gully but we're paying the price for them now and there's no quick fix.

Encore une fois je suis d'accord.

Reply #66
Doggies look like putting down the Drug cheats.
That probably puts us on the bottom rung.
I hope that generates some motivation for the trip across the Tasman :-\

Damn....I've got tickets.....but I'm not going to New Zealand to watch 'em !

;)

cheers

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #67
Just noticed this will be on 7Mate fte. At least I won't have to watch the miniaturised version on AFL Live App.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #68
Just noticed this will be on 7Mate fte. At least I won't have to watch the miniaturised version on AFL Live App.

You might be better off watching the Live App!

Is there any correlation between the size of the screen and the size of the frustration?

Perhaps take the little screen, and sit watching in a very tight, dark and sound proof corner somewhere out of sight and sound of family or friends!

My wife had the big screen fired up last Friday, but she tells me she spent the last 2-1/2 Qtrs just glancing at it between games of solitaire on her phone! So depressing, and on a Friday night!

Could be worse, she could have been at "The G" and suffering with everybody else! Think of the poor bastards traveling to Hobart!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #69

Could be worse, she could have been at "The G" and suffering with everybody else! Think of the poor bastards traveling to Hobart!

My advice, head to the bars & restaurants around North Hobart or Salamanca & pretend there's no footy game on .......I might be doing that myself ....&  live here !

Reply #70
My advice, head to the bars & restaurants around North Hobart or Salamanca & pretend there's no footy game on .......I might be doing that myself ....&  live here !

Hmm, fresh seafood and frothies by the harbor, or watching Carlton get smashed by Pudding Face II and his Cohorts across the river!

Sh1te, if only it was that easy!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #71
It's sort of what I did on Friday night.  Had an event with royalty and left my phone in n the hotel room so I wouldn't be tempted to check a score

Reply #72
Damn....I've got tickets.....but I'm not going to New Zealand to watch 'em !

;)

cheers

Right you are malo :-[
Bass Strait.... miles away wasn't I  ;D
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #73
Along the way rebuilds seems to have one really bad year at some point before rewriting the wrong the next year.

Reply #74
Hmm, fresh seafood and frothies by the harbor, or watching Carlton get smashed by Pudding Face II and his Cohorts across the river!

Sh1te, if only it was that easy!

Hmm, yes.......I couldn't really look myself in the face and call myself a supporter if I pulled the pin could I.