Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 15978 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #30
Do you get to any VFL EB1?

Seriously, this kid deserved a game 5 or 6 weeks back when SoJ got a game for doing nada! Further to that, listening to the radio today while watching the game it was heart breaking to hear the so called experts questioning SoJ's future, they basically accused our club of manufacturing a position for him! But that's been the worry all along, a game for the name, and when the luddites in the media get hold of that concept you know it's no longer a subtlety!

Then when Polson is run out of form, after 3 or 4 really good weeks, for reasons I do not know they promote him! We've been doing this sh1t for years!

Get to the odd game LP....watched Polson a couple of times and he was ok without being brilliant, I see a pick 60 odd player who has a go but lacks nous and some fundamentals...
I would have played Darcy Lang today...

Reply #31
If Kreuzer has a few issues with concussion Phillips will get a few more goes at it. Today was his best game around the ground where normally he doesn't do alot. Hardest part is when both are fit as it goes pear shape for both of them, and the side, when they both play. We have a hard enough time up forward let alone having a ruckman stuck up there most of the game with no idea how to play the role.

McKay in for Levi next week to play his role. The latter has lost touch completely after his injury run. Want to see De Konning get a run before the year is out. Looks a player both in the ruck and as a key forward.

Reply #32
7 days after a compound fracture ?
You could have chopped his arm off with a blunt butter knife while he was watching and he wouldn’t have flinched, but yeah he did stink it up out there.

My words might seem unfair, but I'm not sure his injuries explain his goal kicking. I can understand his minimal effectiveness around the ground may be attributable to his time out, but even then, frankly, I think I'm being generous.

One thing that has become crystal clear in my own life in recent times is that all of us have an inherent "upper limit", and no amount of practice, training, coaching etc. will get you to break that limit. By all accounts, Levi is the first one in, last one out with goal kicking practice, and has been so since Rocca started. He trains hard, has the right attitude, seems like a good team man etc., but after 7, 8 seasons and a tick over 100 games, I reckon he's reached his upper limit. His goal kicking has improved, but he's still too unreliable IMO. I don't like saying it, I really don't.

Reply #33
Went along, Simmo was awesome and it was a real shame the boys couldnt get it done today. Poor old Pulse had a shocker, some critical 50s given away. 2 pts at 3/4 time and I thought we were a real chance. Flippa was very good today, Charlie is just special and as I said last week, will only get better, and I mean  scary better. I liked bits of Picketts game, what a shame he got injured early in the year. He is just what we need. The difference today was they kicked the ones they had to and we didn't. Wrighty had one to forget and has been ordinary by his standards for a bit. We simply cant carry passengers (Mullet, SPS, Polson).
I normally tend to avoid talking about umpires but they had a shocker today.

I cut SPS some slack as he had 7 tackles...Rowe, Lamb, Weitering and Jack had one tackle each......Mullet had two :o......very hard to win a game when your defenders dont pressure.

Reply #34
Not sure about the rules these days but it used to be that if you made a goal post move it used to be a goal.   Garletts second shot was overturned on video review after the PA player smashed into the post trying to touch it. The post was wobbling like crazy before the ball went through.  I thought that negated the hit-the-post rule?  

Hit the back of the post too.   Dodgy call I reckon.
I thought the Garlett goal was overturned because our bloke touched the ball, or was that another?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #35
Get to the odd game LP....watched Polson a couple of times and he was ok without being brilliant, I see a pick 60 odd player who has a go but lacks nous and some fundamentals...
I would have played Darcy Lang today...

I can make excuses for Polson and the other kids, but Lang didn't put in during his last few games and for that he has zero excuse!

Lang looks like a bloke who's pull up stumps because his old club didn't love him, he has the look of being on a stopover at Carlton half-way to his preferred destination!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #36
I thought the Garlett goal was overturned because our bloke touched the ball, or was that another?

He had two reversed.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37
I cut SPS some slack as he had 7 tackles...Rowe, Lamb, Weitering and Jack had one tackle each......Mullet had two :o......very hard to win a game when your defenders dont pressure.
I saw the seven tackles stat, pretty sure they were in the second half mostly, did SFA for the first two. I just can work out what his role is.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #38
Just got back from the game... torrential rain for most of the drive in then voila, around about Brighton it stopped! Ripper.

Love being there life, you get to take in so much more in many respects, especially though, seeing the broader picture enables you to see who's thinking ahead of the game and so on.

The atmosphere was better than expected, and except for the 2nd half of the 2nd qtr, we were right in it. Port are very undisciplined, they started to lairise in that 2nd qtr.

Great seeing Charlie live, what an excitement machine.

I also liked the games of Simmo, Crippa, Phillips, Kennedy, Pickett, Garlett...
Murph started slow but eventually started to show his class,
Kennedy improving again,
don't know what's up with SPS,
Ed was solid,
reckon this kid Polson is worth persevering with... pace to burn, great attitude and endeavour but disposal by foot needs work,
Jones is a ripper...
generally really pleased with most of our guys and their effort for Simmo.

Stunk: Weitering, Casboult, Mullett and Lamb. All made rookie mistakes and handed easy possessions to Port. Being so close we got to see just how slow Weitering is.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #39
The transformation in Jones has been astounding, he'd be among the first half dozen picked these days and he'd get a game at most AFL clubs.
Do we chalk him up to Malthouse?
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #40
Arrived home feeling like I'd just spent a few months with Scott in the Antarctic. Nevertheless we put in a reasonable effort for Simmo's 300th. Second qtr was very ordinary and missed chances and some baffling umpire calls generally ensured we weren't in the hunt. We no doubt have some exciting emerging talent, Charlie, Fish, Pickett stood out for me but we have too many very ordinary lesser lights and Levi had a particularly bad one.

Good to see Simmo with his 38 possessions for his big milestone.

Bit of work for SoS to do in the draft/trade periods.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #41
It was disappointing that we couldn’t get the job done for Simmo but I think that we used most our gas in the third quarter.

Kennedy showed a bit today and I reckon he has good career ahead oh him.  He looked dangerous when he went forward too.

Poison had a crack and he was very unlucky with the 50m penalties.  I thought one wasn’t there and the other was borderline but a lot of the umpiring was hard to follow.

Simmo, Cripps and Ed worked their butts off and Rowe was very good; probably the best game I’ve seen him play since his injury.

It’s probably uncharitable to mention it, and good on them for travelling interstate to support their team, but so many Port supporters are very unattractive ????
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #42
The transformation in Jones has been astounding, he'd be among the first half dozen picked these days and he'd get a game at most AFL clubs.
Do we chalk him up to Malthouse?

Iirc MM is a family friend of Liam's?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #43
I saw the seven tackles stat, pretty sure they were in the second half mostly, did SFA for the first two. I just can work out what his role is.

Sometimes that's the issue. Players are confused as to their roles. The Swans strength is to make good players out of the ordinary by simply giving those players roles they are suited too.

Reply #44
Not that it made a difference but....
The Garlett "no goal" where Pickett looked to have touched it was a bit dubious from the replay at first viewing.
It was hard  to see a touch as Pickett appeared to move his hand away and it wasn't clear to me he'd touched it.
I'd like to see it again.