Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 16032 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #60
Not sure the size of the TV you were watching on, nor the quality of your eyesight, but it was clear as day to me. Pickett touched it.

That being said, i'm sure SOS will have nightmares about Michael Long tonight.  ::)

I said I'd have to see it again.... but the shot I saw the ball was in front of  (obscuring) Pickett's hand, definitely heading towards it, and he pulled it away. I couldn't say whether he touched it or not but maybe another angle was more definitive.

Reply #61
It's easier to work out who can do what role well in a settled team.

We spend half our games covering injured players with kids playing in their first year.

Dow is a fine young talent but he shouldn't be a walk up start at this point because he isn't that good yet.

That's where we are at though.  Even lachie o brien has played more than he should have at this point.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #62
Curiously, one reason good sides do well is the ability to give players defined roles. What are the defined roles of some of our players?

Yet Hawthorn at their best boasted that each of their players can fill three or four roles - as Sam Rowe did last week.

Players should have a defined role but must be adaptable enough to switch to another role as demanded by the state of the game, injuries, players down on form, etc.

Our problem is that we are expecting players with all of 20 games under their belt to do the heavy lifting.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #63
I said I'd have to see it again.... but the shot I saw the ball was in front of  (obscuring) Pickett's hand, definitely heading towards it, and he pulled it away. I couldn't say whether he touched it or not but maybe another angle was more definitive.

The vision on the big screen at the G suggested that Pickett got his hand out of the way ... hard to be sure though  :-\
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #64
The vision on the big screen at the G suggested that Pickett got his hand out of the way ... hard to be sure though  :-\

I've just had another look and there definitely was a touch but I had to look at the replay twice.

Reply #65
I've just had another look and there definitely was a touch but I had to look at the replay twice.

Watching on the app the replays mDe it clear that Pickett touched it, as did the eventual replay of the poster.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #66
Watching on the app the replays mDe it clear that Pickett touched it, as did the eventual replay of the poster.
I just think anything that is overturned after review is there - they don’t just guess, it is looked at closely.

Reply #67
Roles are probably harder to define when there are so many injuries and players out of necessity are moved around.  Much easier where there a a core of experienced and good players and the youngsters/fringe players just have to fit in and not be the major playmakers.

As far as i can tell, there are quite a few clearly defined roles at the club.

Casboult. Kick as many points as possible, sometimes he misses and gets 6.
Oshea and Mullet, run around pretending to be footballers going at 80%. Cause multiple turnovers ensuring gets goals from them.

Reply #68

Yep, on the big screen you could clearly see the fingers moved by the ball, darn...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #69
Weitering isnt the player he was, he doesnt defend anymore and is purely a intercept marking player...Westhoff beat him up bad early and it was largely due to JW trying to corral his man rather than play close and defend him. Not sure what his coaching instructions are but its baffling to me why he isnt playing close to his man and has this non physical approach. His decision making is also astray, he is a smart footballer making poor choices especially when kicking, kicked back into the corridor several times and failed to hit the target causing turnovers and indirectly goals.

Something isnt right....

I fear he maybe our Jack Watts.

Rowe and Jones are way ahead of JW as neither is slow, nor do they mind a scrap/body on body. JW too often plays like his legs are concrete and he's just had a valium sandwich.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #70
Polson stunk it up too, bugger all touches which included a few absolute howlers plus a dumb 50 metres.
It's never good to bag kids early on but there's no use trying to sugar coat it.
I thought that Lamb was OK to be honest, and I'm not a fan.
It was Garlett's best game for us easily.

I was pretty brutal on Polson during the game yesterday as he butchered it.

But on reflection I think there was enough there to justify keeping him around. He needs time. The sorts of mistakes were really "youngster" type mistakes. Running from half back to forward 50 with 4 power players in tow was impressive. Butchering the shot was disappointing but if it was his 50th game and not his 5th maybe that shot goes through. He's got that bit of intensity about him which I like.

Reply #71
Polson is a dud IMO and lucky to have another contract...poor decision making and atrocious kicking, no point tackling well if you turn the ball over with brain dead decisions..
Graham another dud..
Lamb...dud
Weitering was also poor...poor contesting and poor turnovers especially early..
Mullet...useless,, prefer OShea at least he contests before turning the ball over, Mullet doesnt even get to first base...pathetic..
Casboult...real average too..

We were close to a win today but when you start 4-5 players short it makes it hard especially when when you get no luck with the goal umpires and the opposition are kicking goals out of their backsides ie Wingard..

Philips was a big plus and everytime I see him play he does well.....
Pickett...welcome back, added some spark and X factor...
Murphy was ok in patches.
Kennedy...improved as the game went on....
Charlie...gun player
Cripps...solid performer vs some class opposition..
Simpson... one of our best
Fisher...handy game
Rowe...Dixon got on top in the end but Sam wasnt too bad..
Jack...being tried down back and needs more games to evaluate..
Wright...some good but not enough from him
Garlett...unlucky with the goal umpies...not enough though..
Dow....ok at times, there for the education mainly..
Jones....very good, copped Gray early who is a star and held his own and continued to be a good player...

Not a bad effort today and if we had a few more contributors we might have won it for Kade Simpson today...
Elwood, I respect your opinions and your passion, but I can't agree with these. Really harsh and unfair.

Set 1:
Polson is a dud IMO and lucky to have another contract...poor decision making and atrocious kicking, no point tackling well if you turn the ball over with brain dead decisions.. I disagree. I tend to feel a bit more like the previous posters. Polson had a bad day: his mistake stood out. But he has a dip, tackles likes he means it and has potential. He needs more time to develop, this is certain. I was incredibly annoyed with his long kick to nobody, as it cost us a goal, but he was totally ripped off with the 2 50 m penalties. Those decisions were simply wrong. I would have him in the VFL next week, if there is a small to bring in, but I wouldn't throw him away. I think he can be a player. I seem to remember Simmo have 3 forgettable games to starting his career.
Graham another dud.. I think Graham will end up leaving this year. He fell out of the game yesterday badly, but his first quarter was fantastic and he all of our centre clearances in the first half. Every single one! We finally played him on the ball and he responded. He ended with 20 possessions.
Lamb...dud I think Lamb did very well in defence yesterday, one of his best games. He is never going to be a star, but he really did a job yesterday.
Weitering was also poor...poor contesting and poor turnovers especially early.. Not Weitering's best game, I agree. I was disappointed with his start to the game. However, he also managed to get control of his man and took 6 marks. He has some way to go, and I don't like his lack of speed, but he also not our worst.
Mullet...useless,, prefer OShea at least he contests before turning the ball over, Mullet doesnt even get to first base...pathetic.. I am not a great fan of Mullett's. He wouldn't be playing if we didn't have so many injuries and I don't think he is a long term option. However, he played one of his better games yesterday. (Faint praise indeed. :) ) He managed to get his hand on the ball in some crucial contests and also held his own.
Casboult...real average too.. Levi had one of his worst ever games yesterday. He didn't chase. He didn't tackle. He kicked poorly. He didn't do much rucking. He needs to be playing in the VFL next week to get his form and touch back. I was disappointed about him more so than any others because I know what he can produce. In this one you may be generous.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #72
I fear he maybe our Jack Watts.

Rowe and Jones are way ahead of JW as neither is slow, nor do they mind a scrap/body on body. JW too often plays like his legs are concrete and he's just had a valium sandwich.

Regarding weitering kicking into the middle, there was one kick in the last quarter that was a great kick, but just to the wrong person, I think it was wright on this occassion. Pretty sure they were doing that to instruction which worked in 3q.

Agree tho, weitering shows zero aggression or jntensity. That chest mark to westoff in the 3rd I think was a joke.

Reply #73
Weitering isnt the player he was, he doesnt defend anymore and is purely a intercept marking player...Westhoff beat him up bad early and it was largely due to JW trying to corral his man rather than play close and defend him. Not sure what his coaching instructions are but its baffling to me why he isnt playing close to his man and has this non physical approach. His decision making is also astray, he is a smart footballer making poor choices especially when kicking, kicked back into the corridor several times and failed to hit the target causing turnovers and indirectly goals. To be honest, he hasn't been the same since he injured his shoulder. He used to be fearless. I don't see that any longer. Nor do I like it: he stood out as kid because he didn't think twice, he just went for it and got the job done. Not sure what is going on there, but I would be working extra hard with Jacob over the next pre-season on all of his weaknesses: his pace, his contesting and his active  defending. I want to see tackles and chases. I want to see him confident enough to take a risk and to bring it off.

Jack Silvagni.....poor young Jack has had more jobs than most...he is like a training kid on work experience....one week he is forward, next week he is playing onball and then the following week he is down back having to give other players chop outs when they leave their man and he gets stuck next to the likes of Charlie Dixon in a one on one marking duel. How is this helping Jack, what sort of development is it that wont allow a kid to settle, why trial him as a mid then send him down back?.....
Something isnt right.... At the moment our injuries have us filling gaps as we can, not as we should. But I really want to see more oomph from Jack and a little more thought as to his development. If he has to spend more time in the VFL learning his craft, so be it. After all, SOS did early in his career.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #74
I know he's a player in his own right...but Curnow is so much like a young Kouta it's bizarre.

He's going to take a game by the scruff in the very near future and kick a bag.

I think he might actually be ahead of Kouta at the same stage... Kouta did take a few years to emerge.

Curnow's last two weeks (and watching him live yesterday)... his potential is completely off the charts. Absolute joy to watch.