Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 15986 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #90
If its good enough to drop Weitering then its good enough to drop SPS IMO.....or Dow, OBrien, etc etc...you have to have standards not excuses......
SPS reminds me of Yarran.......super talented but needs a mentor who can keep his mind on the job, Yarran had to go back to the twos and SPS should be no different...

Reply #91
So as others have said, how can you drop SPS when Mullet and O'Shea are getting games?

O'Shea didn't play last week! :o

Mullett should be dropped too!

No club should tolerate multiple piss poor efforts, players have bad quarters and bad games, but string 2 or 3 poor games together in a row and it's Sayonara Sunshine!

You must make sure the required standards are meet, and that the efforts of players performing in the magoos get rewarded, otherwise you are flushing the fabric of the club down the gurgler!

Every time one of our kids get repeat games after some consecutive sh1t efforts it sends a message(the wrong message) to the whole playing group, not just the player himself!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #92
If its good enough to drop Weitering then its good enough to drop SPS IMO.....or Dow, OBrien, etc etc...you have to have standards not excuses......
SPS reminds me of Yarran.......super talented but needs a mentor who can keep his mind on the job, Yarran had to go back to the twos and SPS should be no different...

I couldn't agree more.
We have all these supporters who want success, but they don't think player X should ever be dropped because he is "Highly skilled".
We have been down this path for 2 decades and the results are plain to see.

Reply #93
O Shea doesn't pick and choose.   He goes pretty hard, he's just limited.

Doesn't belong in the same conversation as mullett.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #94
I couldn't agree more.
We have all these supporters who want success, but they don't think player X should ever be dropped because he is "Highly skilled".
We have been down this path for 2 decades and the results are plain to see.

I doubt anyone disagrees but there are simply too many to drop if that is the sole criterium?

SPS may be soft or whatever presently but he still does some bloody good things - the same can't be said of the Polsons, O'Shea's (when he's picked  ;) ), Mullets etc
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #95
O Shea doesn't pick and choose.   He goes pretty hard, he's just limited.

Doesn't belong in the same conversation as mullett.

Agree....OShea will get you to first base as he does compete, he then usually gives it back by foot either by poor execution or poor decision making....
Mullet on the other hand just fails to compete and tries to look remote from the play so he isnt accountable....if he is forced to compete its usually because there is no other option...

Reply #96
I doubt anyone disagrees but there are simply too many to drop if that is the sole criterium?

SPS may be soft or whatever presently but he still does some bloody good things - the same can't be said of the Polsons, O'Shea's (when he's picked  ;) ), Mullets etc

SPS is capable like Yarran was, he can compete and isnt soft he just chooses when to go and when to stay at home......had 7 tackles on the weekend but probably had 7 times where he couldnt be bothered making much effort. Polson and Oshea compete....Mullet does only when its obvious he has to...

Reply #97
Well that's the conundrum isn't it EB, pick the never gonna bes like O'Shea and Polson or play the guys with 'it' who just need the right mentoring....

Noting SPS is still a kid...(as is Polson granted).

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #98
Well that's the conundrum isn't it EB, pick the never gonna bes like O'Shea and Polson or play the guys with 'it' who just need the right mentoring....

Noting SPS is still a kid...(as is Polson granted).

Fly...Yarran could run around in the 2's with one leg and still get 20 possies, SPS would be the same....he needs the right mentoring as you say to keep him tuned in
and hungry.
I remember Shaun Burgoyne being a talented but inconsistent flakey player at Port but chuck him in the Hawks system and they teach you how to focus and
compete like the result depends on you. SPS could be as good as Burgoyne if we can get the right program/development happening at the club.....we still seem to have that development issue that has plagued us for a decade or two, we can get raw talent but  harnessing/optimising that talent is the hard bit unless players are really self driven like Cripps...or a Kade Simpson of course...

Reply #99
Fly...Yarran could run around in the 2's with one leg and still get 20 possies, SPS would be the same....he needs the right mentoring as you say to keep him tuned in
and hungry.
I remember Shaun Burgoyne being a talented but inconsistent flakey player at Port but chuck him in the Hawks system and they teach you how to focus and
compete like the result depends on you. SPS could be as good as Burgoyne if we can get the right program/development happening at the club.....we still seem to have that development issue that has plagued us for a decade or two, we can get raw talent but  harnessing/optimising that talent is the hard bit unless players are really self driven like Cripps...or a Kade Simpson of course...

Yep, well said...
Finals, then 4 in a row!