Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 16073 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #75
I think he might actually be ahead of Kouta at the same stage... Kouta did take a few years to emerge.

Curnow's last two weeks (and watching him live yesterday)... his potential is completely off the charts. Absolute joy to watch.

Definitely ahead of Kouta at the same stage. Miles ahead.

Reply #76
Elwood, I respect your opinions and your passion, but I can't agree with these. Really harsh and unfair.

Set 1:
Polson is a dud IMO and lucky to have another contract...poor decision making and atrocious kicking, no point tackling well if you turn the ball over with brain dead decisions.. I disagree. I tend to feel a bit more like the previous posters. Polson had a bad day: his mistake stood out. But he has a dip, tackles likes he means it and has potential. He needs more time to develop, this is certain. I was incredibly annoyed with his long kick to nobody, as it cost us a goal, but he was totally ripped off with the 2 50 m penalties. Those decisions were simply wrong. I would have him in the VFL next week, if there is a small to bring in, but I wouldn't throw him away. I think he can be a player. I seem to remember Simmo have 3 forgettable games to starting his career.
Graham another dud.. I think Graham will end up leaving this year. He fell out of the game yesterday badly, but his first quarter was fantastic and he all of our centre clearances in the first half. Every single one! We finally played him on the ball and he responded. He ended with 20 possessions.
Lamb...dud I think Lamb did very well in defence yesterday, one of his best games. He is never going to be a star, but he really did a job yesterday.
Weitering was also poor...poor contesting and poor turnovers especially early.. Not Weitering's best game, I agree. I was disappointed with his start to the game. However, he also managed to get control of his man and took 6 marks. He has some way to go, and I don't like his lack of speed, but he also not our worst.
Mullet...useless,, prefer OShea at least he contests before turning the ball over, Mullet doesnt even get to first base...pathetic.. I am not a great fan of Mullett's. He wouldn't be playing if we didn't have so many injuries and I don't think he is a long term option. However, he played one of his better games yesterday. (Faint praise indeed. :) ) He managed to get his hand on the ball in some crucial contests and also held his own.
Casboult...real average too.. Levi had one of his worst ever games yesterday. He didn't chase. He didn't tackle. He kicked poorly. He didn't do much rucking. He needs to be playing in the VFL next week to get his form and touch back. I was disappointed about him more so than any others because I know what he can produce. In this one you may be generous.

Respect your opinions too Crash and its all subjective......I guess I am over players failing at the basic skills and being unable to compete properly, it was Simpsons 300 and it we had 4-5 players who just didnt contribute.
1. Polson...yep the kid has a crack and tackles, chases ok but he still plays High School footy IMO and some of those kicks were horrible, just basic errors that you shouldnt be making at senior level.
2.Weitering...wouldnt say he got hold of his man at all, Port used Westhoff in the ruck and then sent him down back like they usually do to shore up the backline, Weitering got lucky they moved him around and he wasnt on him for 100mins or it would have been real ugly as he just couldnt handle him and its not like the Hoff is the most physical CHF going around either and plays the game in a more gentleman like manner than most...
3. Graham is just ineffectual...if you asked a supporter for a Graham highlight yesterday you would be struggling....I just remember him at half back trying to sell candy, too slow, and turned the ball over....
4. Lamb wasnt our worst I will agree and maybe I was too harsh on him but he is a fringe player who doesnt do enough most games and I expect him to be delisted...
5. Casboult was poor but at least he had an excuse as he hasnt been playing, but I am still over him and his poor kicking.....
6. Mullet...keep saying it but Brad Scott told us why he was let go and we didnt listen...just doesnt contest and wants the easy kick out back....Byrne played in the NB's and while he is a loose defender he does contest when called upon so I'd rather him back in the lineup...watching Mullet watching the play and doing nothing just gets me boiling...

Reply #78
Yep
I'll concede that.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=4&playerStatus2=I&tid2=4&type=A&pid1=4163&pid2=309&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=1994

Kouta first showed how good he was during that disastrous 1994 finals series. He showed he could handle the big occasion.

Reply #79
Kouta first showed how good he was during that disastrous 1994 finals series. He showed he could handle the big occasion.

Charlie's potential is enormous but Kouta's game in the 99 preliminary remains the best individual game I've ever seen from any player.
If Charlie can even get within a bull's roar of that he'll be a gun.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #80
@Crash
Crash I'd like to get your thoughts an SPS's game yesterday. What's your analysis?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #81
@Crash
Crash I'd like to get your thoughts an SPS's game yesterday. What's your analysis?
There were some good points, but SPS just isn't doing enough. He isn't showing the aggression or the intensity that I'd like to see. There were times when he did show some real magic, but he, more than anyone else, appears to be suffering from 2nd year blues. Only 4 times this year has SPS been in our top 10 players. Considering what he can do, it just isn't enough.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #82
There were some good points, but SPS just isn't doing enough. He isn't showing the aggression or the intensity that I'd like to see. There were times when he did show some real magic, but he, more than anyone else, appears to be suffering from 2nd year blues. Only 4 times this year has SPS been in our top 10 players. Considering what he can do, it just isn't enough.

Yet if he went back to the VFL he'd probably look a million dollars and dominate.

Maybe he needs to do that just as a lesson that he's not above that...but I don't think we'd be much the wiser as to his ability (we know he has the skills) and I don't think he'd learn a lot from the experience developmentally.

It's a difficult one.

Reply #83
Dropping him will do nada....he still gives a lot more than Polson, Mullet, SOJ etc e tc etc.

For sure, he often appears to cruise but those good enough always looks to have heaps of time. Is he working hard enough defensively? No, but he's not alone!!

He's the least of our worries really....

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #84
Yet if he went back to the VFL he'd probably look a million dollars and dominate.

Maybe he needs to do that just as a lesson that he's not above that...but I don't think we'd be much the wiser as to his ability (we know he has the skills) and I don't think he'd learn a lot from the experience developmentally.

It's a difficult one.

Yep, SPS is a quandary. He does hang back for the easier one, but if he gets it he generally hurts the opposition with his possessions... just gotta get him to engage more to get the aggott in his hands more.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #85
Dropping him will do nada....he still gives a lot more than Polson, Mullet, SOJ etc e tc etc.

For sure, he often appears to cruise but those good enough always looks to have heaps of time. Is he working hard enough defensively? No, but he's not alone!!

He's the least of our worries really....

I think that the main problem with Samo is that supporters expect him to be playing like a bloke with 50-100 games experience.  In most other teams he would be playing alongside more seasoned players who would take some of the heat off.

Samo’s best is brilliant, his worst is pretty typical of a second year player in the bottom team
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #86
Unfortunately while we have players of the quality of Graham, Lamb, Mullet, Polson, Garlett and even Jack regularly getting games SPS can't be dropped ahead of them.

Yes he picks and chooses but he is one of our young players with genuine class and clean disposal - lets face it we don't exactly have those sorts in spades.  Until we have suitable AFL standard replacements for selection SPS will continue to get away with his lack of two way hard running.

Fact is our bottom six players is our greatest concern by a long way. We carry too many low to non contributors on a weekly basis and dropping a decent footballer for another player not up to it will just increase that problem making winning almost impossible.     

Reply #87
Don't agree, letting SPS get whipped for too long just builds a hatred and mindset that the club cannot fix.

Normal is not normal, Fisher is the prime example, SPS and others do not even have to look outside the club for an example of what you can be and achieve! This idea of coasting when the things you normally do aren't working is bullsh1t, there is always something you can do even if it means a team-mate benefits more than you or that is causes you some pain. I wish Casboult would take note of that fact!

You should never reward the creation of rubbish, this isn't primary school, we don't all get a gold star for participation!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #88
I think it really depends what your values are, and how you assess or judge that, effectively what are our non negotiable's.

I believe that is the difference between clubs like the Swans and us. We accept players that pick and choose when they go, as we have a poor list together with a large number of injuries. So as others have said, how can you drop SPS when Mullet and O'Shea are getting games?

Reply #89
I think it really depends what your values are, and how you assess or judge that, effectively what are our non negotiable's.

I believe that is the difference between clubs like the Swans and us. We accept players that pick and choose when they go, as we have a poor list together with a large number of injuries. So as others have said, how can you drop SPS when Mullet and O'Shea are getting games?

Exactly.
Finals, then 4 in a row!