Skip to main content
Topic: What to do with Jack (Read 1294 times) previous topic - next topic

What to do with Jack

He's out ,in and out again. Time on ground 37% last week.

I think he's one of our smarter players in terms of finding space. I also think he loves playing for us as much or more than anyone. He stands up and flies the flag without question.

I think his best position is forward. Charlie and especially Harry are being mauled by multiple players and yet we still kick it to them. If Jack was given some time ply his trade as a smart forward presenting another option (he is very evasive I think) rather than be used as a swingman (that's how it appears to me) we and he would be better off.  I'm not sure that he has enough pace off the mark to be effective down the back and or in the middle. I swear I've seen players , knowing Silvagni is on their hammer, take that extra moment to gather themselves because they know they can burn him off. Floating around as a smart forward presenting options is his best role in my opinion.

I write this because it rips me up to see a capable, smart guy who wants to be out there, who leaves nothing out there not getting a run.

Re: What to do with Jack

Reply #1

I think he's one of our smarter players in terms of finding space. I also think he loves playing for us as much or more than anyone. He stands up and flies the flag without question.

I think his best position is forward. Charlie and especially Harry are being mauled by multiple players and yet we still kick it to them. If Jack was given some time ply his trade as a smart forward presenting another option (he is very evasive I think) rather than be used as a swingman (that's how it appears to me) we and he would be better off.  I'm not sure that he has enough pace off the mark to be effective down the back and or in the middle. I swear I've seen players , knowing Silvagni is on their hammer, take that extra moment to gather themselves because they know they can burn him off. Floating around as a smart forward presenting options is his best role in my opinion.

I write this because it rips me up to see a capable, smart guy who wants to be out there, who leaves nothing out there not getting a run.

Good post, Jacks problem is this lunacy that exists that wants to turn him into a part time ruckman. Instead of developing him as forward we have hampered his development by over using him as a ruckman and he is now in limbo as a player with no identity or position.
We did same to Andrew Walker who had more talent than Jack but we tried to trouble shoot other positions and stuffed his career to a large extent too.
Jack would be better off probably at another club where they would settle him in one position and use him properly.

Reply #2

Lets be clear, Jack is not a ruckman, not even a back up ruckman. Having said that, before we started using him as a back up ruck, as a forward he didn't hit the scoreboard enough. Now whether that has gotten worse because of playing him the ruck I dont know however for me its always been a problem for him. If he doesn't like the roles he is being given, he should probably move on.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #3
Jack is a depth player. He's a player who'll come into a side and can fill a number of spots at a pinch.
He's a player you know will give you an honest effort, despite his talent not being as good as others.
Every club needs that type of depth player, but whether Jack is happy to fill that role or seek opportunities elsewhere is up to him.
He probably doesn't want to move, but he'd be ideal at a club like Gold Coast because he'd give them that effort but also it would allow him to forge an identity separate to the long family tradition which must weigh a bit heavily at times.
I'm not sure if they have a position or need for him though.

Reply #4
Not quite big enough to play as a key forward and not quick enough to be a small forward.   Stuck in the middle and really doens't have a role in the modern game.

Needs to be a better converter for a bloke that get limited opportunities at goal.   Not that he is alone on that island

He is 100% effort player and that's one thing you can't be critical of him for.

Reply #5
Not quite big enough to play as a key forward and not quick enough to be a small forward.   Stuck in the middle and really doens't have a role in the modern game.

Needs to be a better converter for a bloke that get limited opportunities at goal.   Not that he is alone on that island

He is 100% effort player and that's one thing you can't be critical of him for.
I'd put him behind the ball. Rumours are he doesn't want to play back because he'll get the obvious comparisons.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #6
I'd put him behind the ball. Rumours are he doesn't want to play back because he'll get the obvious comparisons.

He's much more like his grandfather than his father, but that 'medium' paced ruck-rover is probably not a feature of the modern game. :(

Reply #7
He's much more like his grandfather than his father, but that 'medium' paced ruck-rover is probably not a feature of the modern game. :(
Id probably have Jack as slow - medium😉

Reply #9
Good depth player with plenty of tricks but not more than average salary.

Reply #10
Good post, Jacks problem is this lunacy that exists that wants to turn him into a part time ruckman.

I don't think we are trying to turn him into a part time ruckman.
I think Jacks ability to play that position in short bursts is the only reason he has been selected in the side at all.

I said it in the pre-season that we are too tall by playing all the players we 'should' be playing.
Harry and Charlie are a given up forward.
Pittonet and TDK are supposedly best options for the team as rucks (i disagree)
Weiters and Young were locks as key defenders.

On top of that, we want to play McGovern/Marchbank (if he's ever fit enough)....which is now Kemp as '3rd' defenders.

Thats a very top heavy side which we are trying to play Jack in as 3rd forward as well.
TDK offering SFA allowed Jack to come in and do his thing......the trade off being he needs to take his whacks in the ruck as well.

If TDK was able to fulfill his role as a part time forward, Jack wouldn't get a lookin.
So its in his best interests to get a game this way.......or try and take out Charlie/Harry.

My thoughts on the 2nd ruck role has been well documented. I think for team balance we are better off with Jack playing that role rather than TDK, otherwise, Jack doesn't fit.

Reply #11
I said at the start of the year that we couldn't play Pittonett, TDK and Silvagni as a forward in the same team. I believe Jack has a future as a lock down defender or on the wing. He needs to find a role for himself otherwise he will become a depth player. I always thought he would play about 150 games because of his in between size and average pace. I have been impressed by his endeavour smarts and discipline but his goal kicking continues to let him down.

Reply #12
I don't think we are trying to turn him into a part time ruckman.
I think Jacks ability to play that position in short bursts is the only reason he has been selected in the side at all.

I said it in the pre-season that we are too tall by playing all the players we 'should' be playing.
Harry and Charlie are a given up forward.
Pittonet and TDK are supposedly best options for the team as rucks (i disagree)
Weiters and Young were locks as key defenders.

On top of that, we want to play McGovern/Marchbank (if he's ever fit enough)....which is now Kemp as '3rd' defenders.

Thats a very top heavy side which we are trying to play Jack in as 3rd forward as well.
TDK offering SFA allowed Jack to come in and do his thing......the trade off being he needs to take his whacks in the ruck as well.

If TDK was able to fulfill his role as a part time forward, Jack wouldn't get a lookin.
So its in his best interests to get a game this way.......or try and take out Charlie/Harry.

My thoughts on the 2nd ruck role has been well documented. I think for team balance we are better off with Jack playing that role rather than TDK, otherwise, Jack doesn't fit.
I'm with the latter theory that Jack doesnt fit and I think he knows that and will want out to another club as had been rumoured.

Reply #13
I don't think anyone knows what his best position is, that's the problem.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #14
Well I kicked this thread off and went to the game on Sunday night. I was looking hard but didn't see much that thrilled me. Most of the comments above were reinforced by Jacks performance. Maybe a better structure would help - look what it did for Brad Pearce in '95 (he was a very quick mover though and Jack ain't). Also I don't want to see him flying for marks like he does because he rarely brings them down. I think his papers are just about stamped.

I actually watched Jack play a game when he was in year 12. He was serviceable but he never owned the game like you'd expect any potential draftee to do. He was playing his heart out though, I guess that's kept me in his corner all these years. Sadly I think he needs to find a role somewhere else. Its needs to be in a really good team though, with players as smart as him around him.