Skip to main content
Topic: The life of a Carlton supporter. (Read 1827 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The life of a Carlton supporter.

Reply #15
This team if they stay focussed can win the prize.... and grab glory for themselves.

Vossy and coaches have done such a terrific job turning the loser mentality around that seemed to embed into the football department for a decade and a half.

We love what you are doing lads - don't let up now though.

Well said, Pinot.

About the only thing that can prevent us from going deep into September is injuries, but even that is doubtful considering how well the 'next man up' mentality works so well - strong culture.

The hunter mentality (both individually and collectively) is just about locked in. Now to learn how to remain the hunters, even when hunted. What is very reassuring is how this is all so player driven. Bravo. Very 'all for one, one for all.'

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #16
Well said, Pinot.

About the only thing that can prevent us from going deep into September is injuries, but even that is doubtful considering how well the 'next man up' mentality works so well - strong culture.

The hunter mentality (both individually and collectively) is just about locked in. Now to learn how to remain the hunters, even when hunted. What is very reassuring is how this is all so player driven. Bravo. Very 'all for one, one for all.'

The next man up mantra has worked very well but Mother Hubbard has been to the VFL cupboard.  We need some good fortune on the injury and recovery fronts.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #17
The next man up mantra has worked very well but Mother Hubbard has been to the VFL cupboard.  We need some good fortune on the injury and recovery fronts.
I posted in the injury thread earlier, that we should basically be at full health come finals time. With the possible exceptions of Silvagni who is still TBC, and the 'seasoners' in Zac Williams etc.
*touch wood*

What happens between now and then is anybody's guess though.

Reply #18
I posted in the injury thread earlier, that we should basically be at full health come finals time. With the possible exceptions of Silvagni who is still TBC, and the 'seasoners' in Zac Williams etc.
*touch wood*

That's the unknown isn't it.
We may get players back, but it's highly likely we won't get through the next four weeks unscathed.
...and at this stage of the year that could mean 'season ending.'

Reply #19
*touch wood*

"Touch wood" indeed ... and cross your fingers, toss salt over your shoulder, avoid black cats and ladders, and donate to the charity of your choice.

If we can nail the rehab/recovery, the MC might be faced with some difficult choices about who to leave out.  But we still haveto get through the next few rounds hoping that we don't have debutants thrown to the wolves or blokes who aren't quite up to the way we're playing recalled.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #20
6 weeks ago we were paying $100 for the flag.
We are now $10.

If we win the next 2 we will probably be premiership favourites.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #21
6 weeks ago we were paying $100 for the flag.
We are now $10.

If we win the next 2 we will probably be premiership favourites.

Before the pies game we were $19.
At half time we were $15.
At the end of the game we were $13.
A few days later, we were $10.

Must be a lot of Carlton fans spending big after beating the pies.

Reply #22
Before the pies game we were $19.
At half time we were $15.
At the end of the game we were $13.
A few days later, we were $10.

Must be a lot of Carlton fans spending big after beating the pies.

We're $1.30 to make top eight - it's short but 30% return seems like money for jam. Will be down to $1.05 if we beat Saints though.

Reply #23
The life of a Carlton supporter summed up in one match.

St. Kilda.

No matter how good we look, or are performing we all know that this team is going to give us a hard time and for some reason they have become 8 point point games for us without us getting across the line.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #24
How we perform when we lose will tell the story. How we reunite for another game and get back to a win will be a test of character. We don’t have the side of 1995. Winning 16 games in a row to win our 16th flag. I hope this winning streak continues. Everything is a learning experience at the moment. I still don’t know how we are winning when I am convinced we don’t look that dangerous on paper with our list. Is our depth sustainable. The fans are loving what they are watching. I have never seen so much passion and pride from the crowd. Almost as though they are on the journey to another victory and helping to carry us over the line. I wonder if this will give us better time slots, and more games at the MCG next season. Bringing in bigger crowds.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #25
How we perform when we lose will tell the story. How we reunite for another game and get back to a win will be a test of character. We don’t have the side of 1995. Winning 16 games in a row to win our 16th flag. I hope this winning streak continues. Everything is a learning experience at the moment. I still don’t know how we are winning when I am convinced we don’t look that dangerous on paper with our list. Is our depth sustainable. The fans are loving what they are watching. I have never seen so much passion and pride from the crowd. Almost as though they are on the journey to another victory and helping to carry us over the line. I wonder if this will give us better time slots, and more games at the MCG next season. Bringing in bigger crowds.
Winning is infectious, a few months ago, we didn't know how to win where as now we don't seem to know how to lose. I loved how yesterday we fell into some old habits early and then slowly ground away and corrected them.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #26
The life of a Carlton supporter can change in a quarter ;)  :D

Reply #27
I'll tell you who needs to get a life....

The "Where are the knockers now?" brigade. ::)
They've worked themselves up into a frenzy and are more concerned with saying "We told you so!" rather than celebrating the wins.

The fact is that supporters come in all shapes and sizes.
Loud-quiet, optimistic-pessimistic-realistic.

At the time there was some unrest about players and coach, we were actually in a bit of a hole.
Even Voss conceded he had the occasional moments where he wondered how to turn things around.
It took some honest, hard discussions and a few home truths to get things back on track.

There were some supporters calling for his sacking, but the majority of folks were of the opinion that he desperatley needed some wins and talk of sacking was premature.
Yes, some are supporters are over the top, but it all comes from a place of passion and love for the club.

Now you can make the argument that we should just accept the situation and not comment negatively because it feeds the frenzy.
But if we only sprout positives rather than areas of concern we may as well shut this place, and similar forums down.
People won't listen to you or accept that view anyway.
It's why the 'Kumbaya' forums don't work.
Without discussion and debate, and differences of opinion... it's pointless and boring.

I will say, that while it's prevalent amongst the Carlton social media folk, the "it must always be positive" view is not really a feature of this place.
I belong to a number of forums and pages, even some opposition ones (funny stuff at the moment, with us up and about).
All have different strengths and weaknesses.
After twenty years I still regard this as the 'go to' place for in-depth discussion and argument.