Skip to main content
Topic: Brownlow Medal Thread 2019: Can Crippa get it? (Read 10034 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Brownlow Medal Thread 2019: Can Crippa get it?

Reply #15
According to what I heard on radio earlier today Cripps is more likely to come with a rush in the later rounds. Whether that will be enough is unclear. Best of luck to him though!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #16
Id be getting on Bontempelli for this one.

I reckon you have a couple of doggie mids stealing some votes off him.

Who is stealing votes of Cripps? Nobody. If the umps award votes to us, he's getting them.

Same thing with Neale. Who is taking votes off him? They won a lot more games than us too.

Reply #17
Zorko, Lyons and Cameron?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #20
Walsh was an umpires favorite at junior level, I reckon he might poll ok...

I haven't heard the pundits mention Walsh much if at all.  Could be a dark horse?

Reply #21
I'll be surprised if Walsh gets any votes at all. The umpires give votes to the big names

Reply #22
I'll be surprised if Walsh gets any votes at all. The umpires give votes to the big names

True but it would be great for him to snag just a few.

Reply #23
He will get some.  Maybe five?

Reply #24
I heard Liam Lenton talking about Brownlow Medal voting bias on the wireless today.  Here’s an excerpt from his article in the Conversation:

Research I’ve done with Aaron Smith of Loughborough University suggests footballers don’t compete for the Brownlow on a perfectly level playing field. There’s a slight bias towards team leaders.

As a sports economist, I’m fascinated by what the Brownlow Medal count can tell us about the science of evaluating performance in any organisation. In any job, all other things being equal, a performance appraisal may be better (all else equal) once you have worked your way up the corporate ladder. In a perfect meritocracy this would not be the case.

It’s an interesting analysis and the conclusions seem to reflect the data - even though not many skippers have won recently.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #25
Close so far, it's a 9 way tie in the lead after round 1. ^-^

Reply #26
Cripps got 2 more votes than predicted in R3. (Expected finish 2nd)
He was 2 votes behind Danger, who has polled as expected thus far, who was expected to win it.

If the rest of their votes go as predicted, those 2 will share it.

Obviously, plenty of others who will have their say, but Cripps had to make up 2 votes on danger, and he's done that after 2 rounds, so thats a good sign.

Worth noting Jack Martin got BOG in R2.
Perhaps he's not as bad as some make out.

Reply #28
Cripps is consistently picking up votes in losses.  That’s a good sign  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball