Skip to main content
Topic: Board change (Read 27684 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Board change

Reply #46
The argument is

"Would you trust the members to vote?
"We'd end up with a board full of ex-footballers!"

Well guess what....it hasn't worked the way we've been doing things....and some of those ex-footballers have probably done very well for themselves.

I think we've had this discussion a few times.

Sooner or later, you have to give the members some say in it all. Perhaps its a critical step in actually growing our membership base!

In regards to ex-footballers....
1. They would have to nominate, can't think of too many that would do so. Hence, it's unlikely to get a board full of them.
2. If they do nominate, they would probably be very well credentialled, and we do know they will have best intentions and be passionate about their role!
3. Can't be any worse with how we've been going anyway.

Reply #47
What qualifications does Eddie McGuire have to run a football club?

He has been involved in the football industry (from the media side) for most of his working life, knows how to manipulate the media to Collingwood's benefit and has a solid business and political background.

I would take Eddie over LoGiudice in a heartbeat.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #48
He has been involved in the football industry (from the media side) for most of his working life, knows how to manipulate the media to Collingwood's benefit and has a solid business and political background.

I would take Eddie over LoGiudice in a heartbeat.

So would I. But this nonsense about qualifications to run a football club is ust that Nonsense. People bring different skill sets to all sorts of positions, and we have had the Head of NAB and Australia Post and we are no where.

We have had ex players on the board...Sticks anyone? Glesson?
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #49
So would I. But this nonsense about qualifications to run a football club is ust that Nonsense. People bring different skill sets to all sorts of positions, and we have had the Head of NAB and Australia Post and we are no where.

We have had ex players on the board...Sticks anyone? Glesson?

I reckon Wet Toast has a good mix, particularly with their ex-WAFL blokes who have succeeded in other careers.

I don't think former players are the answer per se, but former players who have been successful in business, management, administration, etc would be a different kettle of fish.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #50
I reckon Wet Toast has a good mix, particularly with their ex-WAFL blokes who have succeeded in other careers.

I don't think former players are the answer per se, but former players who have been successful in business, management, administration, etc would be a different kettle of fish.

Hawks have the best board.
Just look at the club, they are flying in every regard

Reply #51
Hawks have the best board.
Just look at the club, they are flying in every regard

Yes, Hawthorn have a couple of ex-players with business acumen on the board.

Reply #53
The argument is

"Would you trust the members to vote?
"We'd end up with a board full of ex-footballers!"

Well guess what....it hasn't worked the way we've been doing things....and some of those ex-footballers have probably done very well for themselves.

This system of being able to appoint someone to the board just because they know Fahour and McLaughlin is a bit of a joke really.

It's showing a bit of contempt for the members this sort of carry on.

Forget being the first AFL club to appoint an equal opportunity commissioner to the board - what about being the first club to appoint a regular Joe fan on the board. Someone who is not a multi-millionaire or a Lawyer.

Reply #54
Are u saying they must be ex players?

What I'm saying is that having a couple of board members who understand the inner workings of a football club, and preferably a successful one, is better than having no-one who has experienced the game at a high level.  However, it shouldn't be just any ex-players; they must have other relevant expertise such as business management, sports administration, etc.

Reply #55
What qualifications does Eddie McGuire have to run a football club?

i'll give credit where its due. He took over the pies that were a basket case in '99 and got the club financial with big sponsors
and played in 2 grand finals all in 3 years. He was in his early 30's
Whilst they accumulated only 1 flag under his 16 year reign and some might see this as a failure, they are a powerhouse in all facets of football business