Skip to main content
Topic: God help me - the Test Cricket thread (Read 84941 times) previous topic - next topic

God help me - the Test Cricket thread

Is our batting as weak as ... or what.  We'll end up losing this. >:D

Re: God help me

Reply #1
Didn't pick openers.
Marnus and Smith mentally absent. No lead up long form cricket.
Head is a crab.
Don't expect anything from a debutant.

Absences haven't helped but selectors should be on notice. Expecting Burns to magically turn it around was la la stuff.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #2
Got lucky the Indian fielding is park standard else we would be a long way behind, India helped us out by picking Shaw and Saha and we are still struggling. Fighting knock from Paine but its a fragile middle order when Smith doesnt make runs.
Need 5 wickets real early as India have a long tail without Pant at 7...any lead over 250 is going to be tough for our batters to make IMO.

Reply #3
I think both sides have forgotten that dominating the bowling is the best way to stay in.
Our batters really need to lift their game.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #4
At least there'll be a result.  Badly missing Warner and why Joe Burns still gets a game is beyond me.  At least India have a very long tail

Reply #5
I don't understand the political correctness of modern cricket.

We had half a dozen overs at Bumrah under lights on a bouncy track with a new ball. Back in Lillee or Thommo's day that was toe and finger breaking time, those guys didn't have to hit the tail end in the head to do damage!

Last night we basically bowled line and length and let Bumrah meekly defend with a dead bat on the front foot until stumps.

Alan Border must have been apoplectic as he thought back to what our tail end suffered facing the West Indies!

Modern professional sport is so different now, even football, the brutality remains but it is very different! I think it's a big reason why when you get a player like Hodge or Dangerfluff they stand out, because they don't hesitate to become all accidental knees and elbows!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
I don't understand the political correctness of modern cricket.

We had half a dozen overs at Bumrah under lights on a bouncy track with a new ball. Back in Lillee or Thommo's day that was toe and finger breaking time, those guys didn't have to hit the tail end in the head to do damage!

Last night we basically bowled line and length and let Bumrah meekly defend with a dead bat on the front foot until stumps.

Alan Border must have been apoplectic as he thought back to what our tail end suffered facing the West Indies!

Modern professional sport is so different now, even football, the brutality remains but it is very different! I think it's a big reason why when you get a player like Hodge or Dangerfluff they stand out, because they don't hesitate to become all accidental knees and elbows!

Had a feeling that may have happened, after all the pregame love ins (kohli / smith “ur great, no ur great...).   Too much buddy, buddy in the IPL

Reply #7
Had a feeling that may have happened, after all the pregame love ins (kohli / smith “ur great, no ur great...).   Too much buddy, buddy in the IPL
Agree...the IPL has made us too matey with all those rupees on the line, India really rule the cricket world now and every other countries players are beholding to them.
We bounced Bumrah with so many half volleys it was his toes in danger not his head, our quicks have lost their nasty edge under Paine and we need to be more ruthless..we should have had men in at silly mid off/mid on, leg slip as well and worked the Indians over with the short stuff. Its the one area we have the advantage with quicker/taller bowlers. The drama of the pink ball in the evening air was non existent and apart from Cummins seaming a few there was zero swing to be had.

Reply #8
6 /19 !!!!!!!!!!

Reply #9
Now 9/31  Hazelwood 5 for 3

Reply #10
And just like that, fortunes change. That's why test cricket is the best form, always has been, always will be. Throw that other Mickey Mouse stuff in the bin.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #11
And just like that, fortunes change. That's why test cricket is the best form, always has been, always will be. Throw that other Mickey Mouse stuff in the bin.
Agree test cricket is the best but I reckon this Indian team might know a Indian/Paki bookmakers phone number better than their own average. Bowled out for 36?...something not right, Christmas came early for 11 blokes and they aint Aussies.

Reply #12
Could not agree more. Test cricket, Summer days with it just rolling along on the telly in the background while working on something in the backyard (like today). Stopping to take a look every now and then. End of the day sit down with a beer and watch some highlights. Love it.

Reply #13
Some Indian internet sites are going after Ravi Shastri and Kohli big time. 

And yes, tests are head and shoulders over any other form of cricket by a huge margin

Still not sold on pink balls and day / nites though. 

Reply #14
I was listening to the cricket in the car and India was 5 for when I got home.  I had to do a couple of things before I turned the TV on but, when I did, it was game over  :o

Watching the highlights suggested that it was some of the best pace bowling ever.  Sunny Gavaskar reckons that apart from Shaw, the batters really didn’t do a lot wrong; the bowling was just too good.

Have the Indians played Burns back into form?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball