Skip to main content
Topic: RD 16 : Blues Smack Saints (Aftermatch Review) (Read 75713 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 16 : Blues Smack Saints (Aftermatch Review)

Reply #75
@Bigblue

Yes, Carrots could well turn things around and I hope he does. I don't think we'll actually get rid of him yet, but he may be challenged to hold his place in the 22.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #76
I too wasnt convinced we would win until late....very late in the game!

Talking to some supporters at the ground, a lot of them said the same thing...." where is our flair?? we dont play with any flair anymore. Its stand here, run there stuff. Very rigid stuff and a real lack of taking a risk type football"  They've got a point!!

Thought Hendo and Rowe were great last night. Worked well together and looked for each other when the other had the ball.

Kreuz seemed to get first hand to the ball at every contest but appeared to be tapping it to the white jumpers rather than the blue!!

There was a boundary throw in right beside our point post and Kruez got his hand to the ball and tapped it toward the goal square, 5 or so meters out....beautiful stuff it really was, but the problem was that the Aints players all ran there and all our blokes were out in the pocket wanting the tap to go back the other way!!  I dont know who to be critical of here but it definataley is making Kruez look stupid!!

Is that where he's being instructed to hit the ball ???Is it lack of talk with our mids???  Are our mids the stupid one's maybe????  Dont know the answer but for the amount of times Kreuz gets a free ride to the ball through good positioning, the team in no way shape or form seem to be reeping the benefits!!!!!! >:(

We still seem to be getting mixed messages out there.......either that or we really do have some dumb footballers playing for us. It was a win. Effort, skill, physicality was still way down on our effort against the Hawks but at least we won.

Armfield needs a rest. Curnow is poo. Cachia ok. Touhy some nice things and all in all beat Milne.
McInnes was solid/dependable, thought Betts was great and gave us impact imediately when he came on.

Was Carrots injured or just taken off by MM???

Judd is a superstar. They say he carried WC for all those years. I'm sorry if we broke you Juddy. You truelly are a gem. Was an honour to watch you ork last night. ;)

Flair usually lasts as long as the confidence and composure is there to execute.
Our flair existed only in those games where we could run free and look good that doesn't happen when the other side is serious with its pressure.
We need players who can keep their composure and execute under extreme pressure, I'm not sure we have enough of them yet.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #77
After sleeping on it, I'm still pleased we got a win over the Saints given they have beaten us 14 out of the past 16 times. Let's be honest though, we beat a crap team who we should beat as they are below us on the ladder.

What is really important though is that win last night does not excuse the team for last week's lame effort and no-one here should be forgetting it either.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #78

Talking to some supporters at the ground, a lot of them said the same thing...." where is our flair?? we dont play with any flair anymore. Its stand here, run there stuff. Very rigid stuff and a real lack of taking a risk type football"  They've got a point!!

Yep, I was at the game last night too and said to my partner they just don't seem to play their natural footy now.  Whether that's the MM game plan they're still getting used to or not, I don't know, but they are definitely playing differently.  I would almost think it's no confidence, but there's something more - it's like they've been told not to play their natural games and don't know wtf to do when they get the ball (most of them, not all, Walker backs himself constantly).

Our list is not crap - our list has been asked to play differently to how they have been for years and they seem to be having trouble adjusting.  Even Yaz didn't fire away at shots he usually would, and stopped and propped a few times, very unlike him.

We will be okay - and screw Garry Lyon and BT and all those arseholes that have NFI - let's stick together, as Sticks said  O0

Reply #79
Imagine the crap Ratts would've coppednhadne trotted out that line last year. :-\

Imagine having a week go by without you pining for Ratten!

Reply #80

Thought Hendo and Rowe were great last night. Worked well together and looked for each other when the other had the ball.

Kreuz seemed to get first hand to the ball at every contest but appeared to be tapping it to the white jumpers rather than the blue!!

There was a boundary throw in right beside our point post and Kruez got his hand to the ball and tapped it toward the goal square, 5 or so meters out....beautiful stuff it really was, but the problem was that the Aints players all ran there and all our blokes were out in the pocket wanting the tap to go back the other way!!  I dont know who to be critical of here but it definataley is making Kruez look stupid!!

Is that where he's being instructed to hit the ball ???Is it lack of talk with our mids???  Are our mids the stupid one's maybe????  Dont know the answer but for the amount of times Kreuz gets a free ride to the ball through good positioning, the team in no way shape or form seem to be reeping the benefits!!!!!! >:(

We still seem to be getting mixed messages out there.......either that or we really do have some dumb footballers playing for us. It was a win. Effort, skill, physicality was still way down on our effort against the Hawks but at least we won.

Armfield needs a rest. Curnow is poo. Cachia ok. Touhy some nice things and all in all beat Milne.
McInnes was solid/dependable, thought Betts was great and gave us impact imediately when he came on.

Was Carrots injured or just taken off by MM???

Judd is a superstar. They say he carried WC for all those years. I'm sorry if we broke you Juddy. You truelly are a gem. Was an honour to watch you ork last night. ;)

Flair usually lasts as long as the confidence and composure is there to execute.
Our flair existed only in those games where we could run free and look good that doesn't happen when the other side is serious with its pressure.
We need players who can keep their composure and execute under extreme pressure, I'm not sure we have enough of them yet.

Flair? Forget flair.

Flair doesn't win you Grand Finals. If you listed teams based on flair, the reigning premiers would be 18th!

What we had last night was a well oiled machine. Didn't look pretty, but worked brilliantly, even if we had a few suspect parts in it.

We played well.
We played 4 quarters.
We were crucified early, we were attacked physically....we won.

Forget flair, i'll take that performance each and every week.

Reply #81
A tough, hard fought win. They have nothing except their size to compete. Jones is a cheap shot artist, Armitage is not much better, his coat hanger on Walker should be cited. St Kilda came out and tried to intimidate and we stood up and said no. It took us the first quarter and a talking to but the team came back composed.

Rowe and Henderson - I won't be getting too carried away with their games, St Kilda would have to be the worst by a long way with key position defenders. Henderson was great and his game will stand up against better defenses (see next week) but Rowe was serviceable and will be found out by the bigger, stronger and better North defenders next week.

Judd - Superhero!

Simpson - Good again. Will never doubt his courage in going back, but he needs to remember that he has team mates out there who may be in better positions to go for the ball. He seemed, a couple of times, to stuff up a clearance from the back line because he wanted to touch the ball rather than lay a block.

Cachia - Good, nice rebound after last week did his job and provided a link a few times with a nice pass deep into the 50 to advantage.

Gibbs - Average

Kruezer - Satisfactory, I don't know if it's his thumb but I want more from this man now. More pack smashing, more damaging the opposition smalls who dare to get over the ball when he's around. Make them scared of picking the ball up.

Yarran - Did better, he needs to be further up the field as a high half forward and getting involved in the play using his pace, but both ways all te time not just a selective chase when you can be bothered.

Lucas - Last season I was questioning his pace and disposal and most importantly his toughness / hardness around the ball. Nothing changed my view for the first 10 or so rounds. I am happy to say I see a different Lucas now. I saw him take hits just so he could get the ball to a better place, I saw him lower his head into dangerous territory to knock it to advantage. His tackling leaves much to be desired however I am happy to see some improvement and hopeful that this leads to  better physicality next season.

Any win against these guys is a good one, they rate up there with Essendon as teams I despise to the point of hatred.    >:D

Reply #82
Aside from Watson, who I'll keep my powder dry on for now, I think our major weaknesses, based on last night, are:

Armfield
Curnow - maybe OK as a tag but awful disposal
Carrazzo.

There are obviously others who could be criticised, but replace the above with three hard at it quality players and we could be looking a lot better.

Carrots may be out of form ATM but surely his past 2 yrs have earned him enough credits to be safe. Simmo seems to have turned the corner. I reckon it's just a matter of time till carrots does too.
All players need a string of consecutive games to hit form, Carrazzo has been out for weeks it will take a few more for him to find his feet.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #83
Aside from Watson, who I'll keep my powder dry on for now, I think our major weaknesses, based on last night, are:

Armfield
Carrazzo.

There are obviously others who could be criticised, but replace the above with three hard at it quality players and we could be looking a lot better.

Which  3 hard at it quality players do you suggest ?

Reply #84
Heard that Sticks came out in the pre match and defended our list. Seriously, is he for real ? Confirms what a lot of us are thinking about him and his board!

Should he do a Collo and come out and say they are shizen? Even if he did believe that, what good could it possibly achieve?

He shouldn't comment at all.
BT and Darcy mocked his comments after they were reported, so ridiculous are they.

Hang on a sec, don't we all mock the sht out of them for their stupid opinions? I'd be backing our pres any day over those two turkeys.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #85

Armfield
Carrazzo.

I've no doubt our highly skilled recruitment dept. will find them!  8)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #86
Talking commentary team again Brian "Blues Trasher" Taylor and Luke Darcehole are a disgrace and their bias knows no bounds. Just a couple of motor-mouth morons who provide no meaningful analysis or insights into the game. Are they having a lend of us? Just a constant stream of biassed drivel - Foxtel please note, "Get Rid of Them please!"  >:D
Couldnt get to the game, watched it with the volume turned down as I cant handle the tripe that comes out of those two oxygen thieves mouths.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #88
Geeze, Watson moved like an Iceberg. Surely gone either this year or next.
Was so happy to see two key forwards in Hendo and Rowe dominating our forward line again. Its been a while.
Jamo started the year off so well. Don't know what's happened. He's lucky Reiwoldt didn't bring his kicking boots.
Yazz has all the talent in the world, but is so very lazy. No wonder he drives Mick mad!
McInnes is goingto be a little ripper!
Kreuzer needs to grow a pair! Plays too nice, and really should be better then he is right now.
We didn't miss Robbo. Don't see why he should come back into the side to be honest.
Garlett was the invisible man again.
We still turn the ball over too often
Armfield is another guy who is badly out of form
Judd still plays like he's the Captain. Lifted when we needed him the most.
Heard that Sticks came out in the pre match and defended our list. Seriously, is he for real ? Confirms what a lot of us are thinking about him and his board! The Tiprat is a total c*nt! Cant believe the big deal they were making about him being booed. Hello BT and Darc, we ve been booing him for 10 bloody years!!!

Watson has some great disposal skills (how about the torp ??) but you are right about his pace, he doesn't read it well enough to cut corners & gets himself out of position too often, sad really, but he will not be around for the long-term.

Yarran & his laziness .... !! Its the thing that irks the bejesus out of me, if he applied himself like Dangerfield does, he'd win a Brownlow but I have serious doubts whether he will ever get out of this second gear he just idles around the ground in, he too won't be in for the long haul.

As for Sticks ................ no seriously, did he really ?? Major face-palm & total embarrassment if that is the case.  

Watson did his job about as well as he did last year and as well as he has been doing in the VFL when matched up against the slowest tall forward but he looked uncompetitive against the faster Lee - I was disappointed (but not surprised) when he gave up chasing as opponents ran into the goal square on two separate occasions - he couldn't catch them (or anyone) but giving up is a very bad look. At the moment he is a liability against genuine tall forwards (unless they are as slow as Luke Mitchell) but can fill a space against resting ruckmen who can't mark (Warnock might be a good match up).

Yarran was well served by Eddie's absence, which allowed him to play further forward and not have to run so much - super-talented but continues to be soft and lazy. MM's coaching efforts have been evident since the body language saga - against the Swans he came on and made a couple of committed efforts before going missing in the final term - against the Pies he made a couple of committed efforts in the 1/4 when the team was going well but clearly didn't like the discomfort of physical contact and went missing thereafter - yesterday he was noticeable in the way he tried to deliver the ball to teammates than his usual selfish solo efforts (except on two occasions) - it remains to be seen whether the leopard will change his spots or whether he will continue to be the ultimate downhill skier.

Reply #89

Armfield
Carrazzo.

I've no doubt our highly skilled recruitment dept. will find them!  8)

Armfield has limitations (especially in the midfield) but intensity and effort cannot be questioned and he did his job in curtailing Stevens