Skip to main content
Topic: Blues Vs Swans - post match expert analysis  (Read 42666 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Blues Vs Swans - post match expert analysis

Reply #60
We were absolutely smashed in the midfield. I know we need a power forward, but we also have glaring holes through the midfield. The Swans have 8-10 bona fide mids that can rotate through the middle, wings and flanks: McVeigh, O'Keefe, Kennedy, Jack, Parker, Hannebery, Mitchell, Jetta, Bird. Most of these Swans players are tough, have good disposal, kick goals, can play inside and outside, stick tackles and run both ways (Jetta is an exception on toughness and inside footy, but that's not his role). Our midfield group is so far behind!

Reply #61
I don't think it's unreasonable to think that about half-a-dozen of the blokes who took the field tonight have played their last game in navy blue.

I think that's fanciful to be honest.
Realistically a cub can recruit two or three good players in any one off season, on top of that they can draft or rookie three or four promising kids who may or may not make the grade, so any cuts to the list are limited to 6 or 8 players, any more and you just replace hacks with hacks.
There were at least four senior listed players not in last night's side, maybe as many as five or six, who will probably play very little senior football if they stay on the list, offhand I'd name Ellard, Joseph, Rowe, Mitchell, Davies and McCarthy as almost certain to be delisted, and Laidler and Hampson must be on shaky ground.
Most if not all of the players who played last night will still be on the list next season.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #62
Not the best weekend to choose to play insipid football.

We need to make changes and probably more than we'd like if we're to stay in the top half of the competition.

Two are a must.  Yarran traded and Murphy replaced as captain.  A functioning and cohesive forward line might help as well.

Reply #63
Has anybody else watched Mick's post match presser on afl.com.au ? He seemed pretty accepting, almost relaxed to be honest. Bizarre.

Reply #64

We need to make changes and probably more than we'd like if we're to stay in the top half of the competition.

Two are a must.  Yarran traded and Murphy replaced as captain.  A functioning and cohesive forward line might help as well.

I agree about Yarran - think he will need to be traded to get the player types we need more! Don't know so much about Murph. Eddie may well be gone too under FA.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #65

Two are a must. Yarran traded and Murphy replaced as captain.  A functioning and cohesive forward line might help as well.

I agree about Yarran - think he will need to be traded to get the player types we need more! Don't know so much about Murph. Eddie may well be gone too under FA.
To trade the most Skilful player on our list we'd want a Shuey, or a top 5 pick, or a Jonathon Patton. And then risk a fallout with the remaining amigos, Garlett back to WA and Betts back to SA

Reply #66

Two are a must. Yarran traded and Murphy replaced as captain.  A functioning and cohesive forward line might help as well.

To trade the most Skilful player on our list we'd want a Shuey, or a top 5 pick, or a Jonathon Patton. And then risk a fallout with the remaining amigos, Garlett back to WA and Betts back to SA

See where you're coming from BA but Eddie is likely to leave anyway under FA and Yarran would indeed net us the type of hard working midfielder we need. I like Yarran's highlight reel - some great stuff on there with great skills on display, but he just doesn't do it consistently enough when it really matters, and he doesn't turn games around for us. We're at the point now where very hard decisions will need to be made unfortunately. Yazza to me is the cream - its our cake that needs a lot of work.

Reply #67
We will regret losing Yaz if we trade him.

Saying he doesn't change the game etc - he's 22 fgs, how many times have Gibbs or Murph changed a game for us - very very rarely.  Give the guy a break, he'll come good and we want him to come good for us.

Reply #68

Saying he doesn't change the game etc - he's 22 fgs, how many times have Gibbs or Murph changed a game for us - very very rarely.  Give the guy a break, he'll come good and we want him to come good for us.

I agree, if you looked at McVeigh when he was Yarran's age they would be almost identical in terms of roles and output. What McVeigh did tonight is what Yarran has in his future. In my opinion it is only a sign of impatience and being reactionary to demand he be traded, but that is clearly the general feeling here on this forum. But thankfully the posters here do not run the club!

Gibbs is now playing football we know he can play, and Murphy has been OK despite being injured and missing a pre-season. Both are long term A Grade players with many years of football left!

Next year Murphy with some good luck, and all players need good luck, will be a star of the competition!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #69
McVeigh with 20 possessions in a quarter!?!?  In a final?!?!

Not sure whether to laugh or cry about that.  How did that happen?

It is beyond me how teams like the Swans can have a spare man (or two) down back yet, when they surge forward, all you can see is red and white.  Actually, I do know how it happens - it's called running.

When does pre-season start?
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #70

Not sure whether to laugh or cry about that.
  How did that happen?

It is beyond me how teams like the Swans can have a spare man (or two) down back yet, when they surge forward, all you can see is red and white.  Actually, I do know how it happens - it's called running.

No laughing matter at all. If there was one player that needed tagging last night, it was him. Frewheeling most of the game was insane.

Reply #71

Not sure whether to laugh or cry about that.  How did that happen?

More importantly when does trade week and the free agency period start? Then the draft, then the rookies then then the psd then christmas and and watching cricket wishing it was footy season and then pre season and then geez he's bulked up or geez he's slimmed down and then and then and then

We smash Ninthmond!!!!!  >:D

Reply #72
What news on our injuries ?

Reply #73

We need to reinforce the bedrock of our team and sacrifices may need to be made in order to do that. All I'm saying is that Yarran may well have to be one of them in order to get the bedrock players we need. Yarran IMO needs to be in a team atm where that bedrock already exists - then he could be really good. Maybe the timing is just wrong for him at the Blues? He's probably one of our most tradeable players and hence he may be one of the trades we have to make.

Reply #74
I would be very reluctant to trade Yarran. I really believe his best footy is played from the HBF or from a wing. Playing as a small fwd can be a very tough gig, trying to get yourself involved in games consistently which is his problem when played there.

Remember in 2012 he was an AA chance, playing off the HBF, before he got injured about half way through the year. His run and carry from there was sublime and the opposition were trying hard to tag him out of games.