Skip to main content
Topic: The life of a Carlton supporter. (Read 1826 times) previous topic - next topic

The life of a Carlton supporter.

So its round 23, 2022.
Its 3/4 time and you need only to draw to make finals and you have a 4 goal lead and all the momentum against arch rivals Collingwood. Life couldn't be better.
No team has even been in the 8 all year except the final round and things won't change now.

Carlton: Hold my Beer

6 scoring shots a piece in the last quarter including a rushed behind each.
Carlton 0.5
Collingwood 5.0
We lose by a point against Collingwood.
You miss finals by a mere 0.6%
Your dream of finals is gone.

**6 months later**

A year on and a lot more optimism. We will be better for it. We have a fit-ish list, definitely in comparison to last year. Media pumping us up as top 4 potential. Finals certainties.

After R4 - Undefeated, sitting 2nd, a monty for top 4 spot. Life is good.

After R13 - Lost 8 from our last 9, including 6 in a row. Only win was against a WAFL side. Sitting 15th destined to stay in bottom 4. Talk about sacking the coach. Deja vu.

After R20 - Won 6 in a row for first time since 2000, including 5 in a row by 50+ points. Every team that has done that in the past wins the flag. Sitting 7th, 5th favourite for the flag.

After R24 - ? ? ?

Apparently our membership figures are going through the roof. I don't see how, because surely we are losing plenty of members due to stress induced heart attacks.

Who'd be a Carlton supporter?

Hopefully there is a happy ending to this season.
It would make a good movie one day.

Re: The life of a Carlton supporter.

Reply #1
Nice Post Kruddler ;)  ;D

The funny thing is that even if we went down in a screaming heap for the last four games, we'd back up at the start of next year with the attitude..."This year for sure!"

The thing about this side is it's loaded with talent, it's almost complete.
There still may be a question about our depth, but we seem to be coping OK at the moment.
Another key position defender may just be the missing piece if we can keep some of our perpetually inured fit and well
...and you can never have too many midfielders, as long as there is a point of difference.
Add in some natural development from some of the young players like Motlop, Hollands etc and we'll have a seriously good side to enjoy for the next few years.

Maybe life won't be so bad as a Carlton supporter. ;D

Reply #2
Nice Post Kruddler ;)  ;D

The funny thing is that even if we went down in a screaming heap for the last four games, we'd back up at the start of next year with the attitude..."This year for sure!"

The thing about this side is it's loaded with talent, it's almost complete.
There still may be a question about our depth, but we seem to be coping OK at the moment.
Another key position defender may just be the missing piece if we can keep some of our perpetually inured fit and well
...and you can never have too many midfielders, as long as there is a point of difference.
Add in some natural development from some of the young players like Motlop, Hollands etc and we'll have a seriously good side to enjoy for the next few years.

Maybe life won't be so bad as a Carlton supporter. ;D
The last 6 weeks has proven the fate/destiny of the Club is the hands or the players or should I say their minds. They are switched on and motivated to not let each other down, can they maintain it or is talk cheap?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #3
The last 6 weeks has proven the fate/destiny of the Club is the hands or the players or should I say their minds. They are switched on and motivated to not let each other down, can they maintain it or is talk cheap?

It's interesting, that during that down period many folks were making the point that the team seemed to be playing as individuals and the cohesion, support and understanding just wasn't there...

Now, just about everytime you hear a Carlton player speak the talk is of 'team', sacrifice and working for one another...and that's showing up in the way they play.

Reply #4
One Carlton supporter was pointing out we weren't actually going that bad and it was a relatively simple fix of kicking more accurately at goal.

Reply #5
One Carlton supporter was pointing out we weren't actually going that bad and it was a relatively simple fix of kicking more accurately at goal.

And a lot of that probably went to cohesion, understanding...perhaps even a bit of selfishness. (long shots at goals when players were in better positions closer in)
Our forward line was a shambles.
You would have to look at each individual shot on goal to get a true picture.

But it wasn't just at goal and in the forward line.
The errors and turnovers were happening all over the ground.
It's chalk and cheese, the disposal at the moment compared to the bad period.

Reply #6
The older the supporter growing up in the glory years the more critical and greater expectations, premierships and success were a given something you didnt have to fight for. You just knew it was a matter of time and a small amount of patience but being a supporter over the last couple of decades has tested that to the max and being a cellar dweller for so long has been a new experience  with more false dawns and messiahs than wins so you never get too comfortable.
With finals on the horizon hopefully we go into a cycle of success and stay there like the old days......

Reply #7
The older the supporter growing up in the glory years the more critical and greater expectations, premierships and success were a given something you didnt have to fight for. You just knew it was a matter of time and a small amount of patience but being a supporter over the last couple of decades has tested that to the max and being a cellar dweller for so long has been a new experience  with more false dawns and messiahs than wins so you never get too comfortable.
With finals on the horizon hopefully we go into a cycle of success and stay there like the old days......
I was listening to Sellers the other day on radio, whilst it was a different era with different constraints, those teams were filled with players that were so ruthless it wasn't funny. Sellers spoke of how in teams he was involved with as well as teams before him, the players didn't tolerate mediocrity and refused to play with blokes who wouldn't put their head in a hole when it was was needed or didn't posses the skills needed to play the brand they wanted to play etc. He said how the players largely ran the show and determined who remained on the list and who didn't. As I said, it was a different era with a different methology but the concept of players owning and driving standards, giving each other the brutal feedback that is sometimes needed, is what we are seeing now with our team I reckon. Back To The Future?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #8
It's great to be winning games.

What is even more enjoyable is the way they are going about it - we are an exciting team to watch when in full flight - reminds me more of the old days of the premiership quarter and mosquito fleets.....
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #9
I think that there is still an underlying question in the back of most Carlton peoples' minds... "Can we be trusted yet?"

Port was great, Collingwood exceptional but sometimes I think we are most vulnerable against our peers, and we come up against a couple of those in the next four weeks.  St Kilda, Gold Coast and GWS are all around us and teams that we should beat, given out recent form......but can we be trusted yet???

Reply #10
I think that there is still an underlying question in the back of most Carlton peoples' minds... "Can we be trusted yet?"

Port was great, Collingwood exceptional but sometimes I think we are most vulnerable against our peers, and we come up against a couple of those in the next four weeks.  St Kilda, Gold Coast and GWS are all around us and teams that we should beat, given out recent form......but can we be trusted yet???
Trick is not the view them as our peers, I reckon we've gone past a couple of them at least!
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #11
Not really a matter of trust for me...more an acceptance that these things are rarely a straight incline in terms of progression.
It's more often a peak, then a trough, then a new peak.

At the moment I have a feeling we'll drop at least one.
Perhaps when we least expect it.
This next game looms as particularly dangerous given the effort both physically and mentally that went into the Collingwood game.

But that's not to say we haven't improved as a team.
That at our best, in terms of skill and effort, we can match it with any side.
That whatever we achieve this year, well be better next year.

Reply #12
This year whatever happens from here, we have got the belief we need to do some damage to the top teams.

Knowing this, going into the pre-season, it will allow us to just put our head down and work without having to worry about if we are doing the right thing.

Reply #13
This year whatever happens from here, we have got the belief we need to do some damage to the top teams.

Knowing this, going into the pre-season, it will allow us to just put our head down and work without having to worry about if we are doing the right thing.
Dead right - six weeks ago everyone was talking about the next rebuild we needed.  Now we know we have the tools.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #14
This team if they stay focussed can win the prize.... and grab glory for themselves.

Vossy and coaches have done such a terrific job turning the loser mentality around that seemed to embed into the football department for a decade and a half.

We love what you are doing lads - don't let up now though.