Skip to main content
Topic: Downhearted (Read 13590 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Downhearted

Reply #15
Split this off the Sylvia thread....it's a bit of fun, the other not so much...a bit sad.

Reply #16
That's a great title for a song!

Is it a coincidence that many of histories best loved songs suffer from this issue, or is that confusion actually the reason for them being so widely loved?

If the lyrics and meaning was clear, would they have the same broad appeal?

"Wrapped up like a douche another roller in the night" ;)

Reply #17
Split this off the Sylvia thread....it's a bit of fun, the other not so much...a bit sad.

Lods, whilst you're doing a little housekeeping, maybe also split the "funny names" posts from the Hamish McIntosh discussion  into their own thread ? For those who like their sub Carry On humour served neat.  :D

Reply #18
Lods, whilst you're doing a little housekeeping, maybe also split the "funny names" posts from the Hamish McIntosh discussion  into their own thread ? For those who like their sub Carry On humour served neat.  :D

Good call Paul...It actually turned out to be easier to split the few actual Hamish comments from the 'funny names' thread :D

Reply #19
"Wrapped up like a douche another roller in the night" ;)

Even though I was a broadcaster playing this brilliant song every day I thought for years the lyric was, 'Wrapped up like douche and they rode her in the night...!!!'

Incredible how you can thinks the lyrics are one thing yet turn out to be another... as for James Reyne... :o :o
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #20
Even though I was a broadcaster playing this brilliant song every day I thought for years the lyric was, 'Wrapped up like douche and they rode her in the night...!!!'

For those not familiar with it, the song is "Blinded by the Light", a Manfred Mann's Earth Band cover of a Springsteen song where they changed the words slightly to go "Revved up like a deuce"...referring to a hot rod deuce coupe.
It sounds for all the world like "wrapped up like a douche"

After years of wondering, knowing it couldn't possibly be that, I looked up the lyrics a while back...

I haven't heard it a lot since but the song came on the car radio as I was driving back from town today :D
Strange co-incidence, I thought.  ;D
I listened very carefully.... and I get the feeling they knew exactly what they were singing ::)...and it wasn't "revved up like a deuce." :))

Reply #21
For those not familiar with it, the song is "Blinded by the Light", a Manfred Mann's Earth Band cover of a Springsteen song where they changed the words slightly to go "Revved up like a deuce"...referring to a hot rod deuce coupe.
It sounds for all the world like "wrapped up like a douche"

After years of wondering, knowing it couldn't possibly be that, I looked up the lyrics a while back...

I haven't heard it a lot since but the song came on the car radio as I was driving back from town today :D
Strange co-incidence, I thought.  ;D
I listened very carefully.... and I get the feeling they knew exactly what they were singing ::)...and it wasn't "revved up like a deuce." :))
On that note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euQ9EgPG1fM
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #23
On that note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euQ9EgPG1fM

The very best of pareidolia hard at work!

Really, how clever is it for him to identify phrases like that knowing he can make that suggestion to you in a manner from which you will never be able to forget it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #25
When you put 'Downhearted' I thought you might have been referring to the Aussie Crawl classic song, so I took another line from the song... not the first time I've had to explain my sometimes obtuse sense of humour.  :-[ :-[ Back to the drawing board...  :(

Exactly where my mind went...... cracker of a song