Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Round 3 NBs vs Collingwood  (Read 16554 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Round 3 NBs vs Collingwood

Reply #105
Yep and I think young DeKoning would also be part of the thinking that we dont need Levi anymore......saying that
I'd be more inclined to keep Levi than Lobbe who is finished IMO.

x400.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #106
That's probably accurate knowing the AFL's form. I'd love a second rounder back for him - but lets face it - that aint gonna happen.

Career stats: 120 goals / 89 behinds - almost identical accuracy % to Buddy.

I think that sort of goal kicking accuracy is acceptable when you kick as many goals as Buddy  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #107
I think that sort of goal kicking accuracy is acceptable when you kick as many goals as Buddy  :)

It's within a few % of Fev for example. Nobody would say it's great but better than Travis Cloke.

Reply #108
That's probably accurate knowing the AFL's form. I'd love a second rounder back for him - but lets face it - that aint gonna happen.

Career stats: 120 goals / 89 behinds - almost identical accuracy % to Buddy.

One thing that is almost always missed when looking at kicking % in regards to Casboult is 'out on the full'.
Look at the afl website for accurate stat's on that. It includes shots missed altogether which most sites do not

Reply #109
Round 4 team in.  http://northernbluesfc.com.au/?p=7133

Interesting to note the article says that all named on the Carlton extended bench are named in the squad, but neither Charlie Curnow nor Kade Simpsons's names appear in the Northern squad - does this mean they are out of the Blues line-up and just named as a smokescreen, or does it mean they are both locks to be in the Carlton 22?  I suspect the latter.

Reply #110
One thing that is almost always missed when looking at kicking % in regards to Casboult is 'out on the full'.
Look at the afl website for accurate stat's on that. It includes shots missed altogether which most sites do not

Even factoring that in he's still roughly the same as Buddy... Wingard, Balantyne, Dusty, Higgins, Stringer, Daniher, Murphy, Beams, Zorko..... the list goes on and on and on. It's a just an average AFL footballers goal kicking accuracy.

Reply #111
Round 4 team in.  http://northernbluesfc.com.au/?p=7133

Interesting to note the article says that all named on the Carlton extended bench are named in the squad, but neither Charlie Curnow nor Kade Simpsons's names appear in the Northern squad - does this mean they are out of the Blues line-up and just named as a smokescreen, or does it mean they are both locks to be in the Carlton 22?  I suspect the latter.

Yes, noted that. Seems strange because it is normal practice......must be absolute locks, you’d assume.

Reply #112

So what does that stat say for Levi?

Pray tell....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #113
So what does that stat say for Levi?

Pray tell....

I gotta spoon feed it to you?

https://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/Compare?playerIds=CD_I281124,CD_I240399,CD_I992786&comparisonTab=h2h

Levi
120.89 = 57.1%
Actual % = 49%

Buddy
928.669 = 58.1%
Actual = 51.2%

I'd like to be able to see a set shot breakdown as Levi is clearly a better mark compared to Buddy, so would have more shots from marks (closer in at least) as a result. Buddy is obviously a lot more agile and gets more in-play shots, which are harder by comparison.

EDIT:

Further to the above 15% of Casboults shots don't score.
Compared to 11% of Buddys shots don't score.

Reply #114

https://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/Compare?playerIds=CD_I281124,CD_I240399,CD_I992786&comparisonTab=h2h

Levi
120.89 = 57.1%
Actual % = 49%

Buddy
928.669 = 58.1%
Actual = 51.2%

I'd like to be able to see a set shot breakdown as Levi is clearly a better mark compared to Buddy, so would have more shots from marks (closer in at least) as a result. Buddy is obviously a lot more agile and gets more in-play shots, which are harder by comparison.

EDIT:

So you're saying Levi misses (entirely)   in every 6 shots at goal?

The same site lists Buddy at 199cm - that's BS. Someone is trying to rewrite history!

He's 195cm ish.

I say the data is unreliable at best.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #115

Levi
120.89 = 57.1%
Actual % = 49%

Buddy
928.669 = 58.1%
Actual = 51.2%

EDIT:

Yeah - so he's within 1% or 2.2% depending on which stat you prefer. Who cares?

His kicking accuracy is pretty normal.

Reply #116

Dodgy stats!

Who determines whether it is a shot at goal or a kick to the hotspot?

Are kicks that don’t make the distance counted?

Are kicks that bounce out of bounds counted the same as kicks that go out on the full?  What about shots at goal that are punched out of bounds?

What about shots that are touched on the goal line?  Is distance as important as accuracy?

If I had to choose between Levi and Buddy to nail an after the siren shot at goal to win a grand final, I think that I might just choose Levi in a best of a bad bunch scenario  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #117

What about misses from the top of the goal square, I wonder how they would compare on that! Or the uncounted stat, the one when a dodgy kick doesn't score or go out of bounds but fails to make the distance from inside the 50m arc!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #118
What about misses from the top of the goal square, I wonder how they would compare on that! Or the uncounted stat, the one when a dodgy kick doesn't score or go out of bounds but fails to make the distance from inside the 50m arc!

Yes, Buddy would be far worse than Levi in all of those situations.  However, the fact that he has a hell of a lot more shots at goal means that he has greater scoreboard impact, and that’s what counts.

Reply #119
So you're saying Levi misses (entirely)   in every 6 shots at goal?

The same site lists Buddy at 199cm - that's BS. Someone is trying to rewrite history!

He's 195cm ish.

I say the data is unreliable at best.

Dodgy stats!

Who determines whether it is a shot at goal or a kick to the hotspot?

Are kicks that don’t make the distance counted?

Are kicks that bounce out of bounds counted the same as kicks that go out on the full?  What about shots at goal that are punched out of bounds?

What about shots that are touched on the goal line?  Is distance as important as accuracy?

If I had to choose between Levi and Buddy to nail an after the siren shot at goal to win a grand final, I think that I might just choose Levi in a best of a bad bunch scenario  :)

Yeah - so he's within 1% or 2.2% depending on which stat you prefer. Who cares?

His kicking accuracy is pretty normal.

Yeah, sure. Levi is a wonderful kick at goal. Statisticians are biased against him. It's all a conspiracy!

....or maybe not.

FWIW, for those bagging out Harrys kicking...
He has a better conversion rate than Casboult.