Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd : Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs (Read 23658 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd : Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs

Reply #90
Adding Setterfield, Curnow, Cunningham and Williamson back into the team over the next 2 weeks - where do you fit them all?

Polson / LOB will go out but Casboult is undroppable on that performance. Gibbons is absolutely priceless. He must have run +15km today.

Goddard / Macreadie / Stocker / Lang / Garlett / Fasolo / Polson ready to go backups. A win and a bunch returning from injury - all of a sudden things look infinitely better.

BTW - Fasolo is miles behind SOS based on this weekend. Fas's body looks completely shot to me.

And that man of faith?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #91
I missed the whole game and we won. I'm so p*ssed!
I hope to get to see the game during the week, so I can vote.

Just looking at the stats, I'd say that Kreuzer probably beat his man, even though he had less taps. English is going to be a player. But the Big Tractor is coming back after injury having played about 2/3 of a game in the VFL. He will get better. We will play better when he gets fitter.

But until we get a Grundy or a Gawn we will not win a premiership. I hate that thought. I have hopes for Tom deKoning, but he is a 19 year old kid. We need to find the next star ruckman and sooner rather than later.

That said, I am so happy to read that SPS was so good today. I am almost as pleased that Gibbons did well. I really hope out midfield can repeat this effort most weeks.

Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #92

Just looking at the stats, I'd say that Kreuzer probably beat his man, even though he had less taps. English is going to be a player. But the Big Tractor is coming back after injury having played about 2/3 of a game in the VFL. He will get better. We will play better when he gets fitter.

But until we get a Grundy or a Gawn we will not win a premiership. I hate that thought. I have hopes for Tom deKoning, but he is a 19 year old kid. We need to find the next star ruckman and sooner rather than later.

That said, I am so happy to read that SPS was so good today. I am almost as pleased that Gibbons did well. I really hope out midfield can repeat this effort most weeks.

SPS was exceptionsal today, far better than good today Crash.
To digress,

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/bolt-from-the-blues-a-reward-for-patience-with-emerging-stars-20190421-p51fzu.html
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #94
I'd guess there aren't too many forward pockets in the AFL running 14-15km every week.

Gibbons is vital. Great to see him get a goal too.

From what I saw on tv, Gibbons (+Murphy, Ed, and H) played a vital role in the mid-fwd "link up". He's a great runner, let's utilize his strengths.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #95
Dow misses those kicks in the first quarter also.

The point was more a mental application point of view. Murphy doesn't have a killer instinct. That need to crush the opposition not just take the foot off as early as possible. Costs us in close games. And just generally p!sses me off.

Like Gibbs has been part of a losing culture where failure was accepted and going the extra mile wasnt compulsory in their minds, always guaranteed a game each week and never called out for
his failings. Hard to change that in your later years and he like Gibbs never has fulfilled their potential.
You look at Walsh and Fisher and they want it more than Murphy who is happy to just to roll along and extend his career.

Reply #96
SPS was exceptionsal today, far better than good today Crash.
To digress,

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/bolt-from-the-blues-a-reward-for-patience-with-emerging-stars-20190421-p51fzu.html

Agree...best game I have seen him play and 35 possies are the bar he needs to reach each week, 20 possie games dont cut it and
his ball use and composure were excellent...I had him BOG with Fisher as next best...Dogs have a good midfield which made the performance very credible.

Reply #97
Like Gibbs has been part of a losing culture where failure was accepted and going the extra mile wasnt compulsory in their minds, always guaranteed a game each week and never called out for
his failings. Hard to change that in your later years and he like Gibbs never has fulfilled their potential.
You look at Walsh and Fisher and they want it more than Murphy who is happy to just to roll along and extend his career.

I see Bryce threw body and soul into it today - 1 tackle!  ???
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #98
Agree...best game I have seen him play and 35 possies are the bar he needs to reach each week, 20 possie games dont cut it and
his ball use and composure were excellent...I had him BOG with Fisher as next best...Dogs have a good midfield which made the performance very credible.

Yes, EB that is the other salient point - the quality of the opposition mids....and (to digress slightly) let me say Libba's staging was putrid.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #99
two games out of the 8 folks...one game, if we'd held on last week.
>:( >:(
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #100
Yes, EB that is the other salient point - the quality of the opposition mids....and (to digress slightly) let me say Libba's staging was putrid.

Fly...Look at the DE% stats.....Fisher, SPS, Cripps, Walsh etc, that was top use of the footy by us....you add a top game by a key forward and that adds up to a win.

Libba is a clown on and off the field and needs a clip, glad we didnt recruit him or his mate Wallis who were both garbage today.

Reply #101

The stats show English had more hit outs, but I would suggest Kreuzer spent quite a lot of time out of the ruck.

Casboult also had 8 hit outs and seemed to go against English a fair bit.

Importantly, as a team we won the hitouts and smashed them at clearances.

Reply #102
Fly...Look at the DE% stats.....Fisher, SPS, Cripps, Walsh etc, that was top use of the footy by us....you add a top game by a key forward and that adds up to a win.

Libba is a clown on and off the field and needs a clip, glad we didnt recruit him or his mate Wallis who were both garbage today.

I think we've all known if we tidied up our ball use we would start getting results.

Bad ball use = turnovers = cheap goals to the other guys (and demoralises our own).
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #103

Absolutely spot on. They had all the skill - none of the hunger.

Reply #104
Just on SPS today, he played with some urgency today which made me smile like a cheshire cat. More of that next week Samo, and the week after that, the week after that etc.
On Cripps, just had control of the game and his players, was directing traffic and providing instructions/feedback all day. Maturity beyond his years.
Now to do it all again next week.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time